Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Epi-pens, diagnoses, etc. (Read 2103 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Epi-pens, diagnoses, etc.
01/04/11 at 10:51:51

(Archived from jysmith - original forum)
jysmith

Lisa's comments to Brigitte warning her about epi-pens if she has carcinoid syndrome brought up some questions for me.

Are we going to maintain on this forum that people who are flushing/hiving/swelling, etc. without a firm diagnosis should not use an epi-pen?  That seems to be a sticky problem, making the decision whether or not to use one if you have hives, breathing problems, or throat swelling or ??  Paramedics used epi on me several times before I was accurately diagnosed, and no one ever asked me if I had carcinoid.  I suppose they should have asked.

Of course in Brigitte's situation, she has a marker for carcinoid, so it's clear that she needs to be cautious.  I'm wondering, though, in the case of someone who hasn't been diagnosed at all, what they should do or allow to be done, besides take oral medicine, if they have a bad episode.  What advice do we give newbies who could be having life-threatening mastocytosis attacks or who could have carcinoid or something unrelated?  Should they refuse epinephrine?  I don't see how anyone can know these things without prior testing.

The same dilemma has to do with other meds, too.  For example, morphine is allowed in carcinoid patients, but not mast cell disorder patients.  Do we advise to stay away from morphine or not?  Undergoing anesthesia and surgical procedures might be different in masto and other rare disease patients.  What do we advise about those?

Then there's the problem that there are other disorders/diseases that cause similar symptoms to both carcinoid and mast cell disorders.  Should we recommend an endocrine work-up and a rheumatological work-up as well as checking out the mast cell possibilities?  Heather's flow chart of diagnostics is terrific, but I wonder if there should be some basic newbie information about possible alternate diagnoses and what to be cautious about.

What do you all think?

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."
24 November 2010 01:29 AM

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Epi-pens, diagnoses, etc.
Reply #1 - 01/04/11 at 10:53:18

(Archived from starflower - original forum)
starflower

Then there's the problem that there are other disorders/diseases that cause similar symptoms to both carcinoid and mast cell disorders.  Should we recommend an endocrine work-up and a rheumatological work-up as well as checking out the mast cell possibilities?

I do have "rule lupus in or out" on the chart.  If you added ANA with reflex to step five that would give you a basic work-up for systemic autoimmune (rheumatological) disorders.  A lot of people come to us already having these kinds of test results.

Hashimoto's is common in people with chronic urticaria.  You could check that with TSH, T4, and a test for thyroid antibodies.  But... there's no rush.  Diabetes shows up on a CMP.  I've been tested for Addison's disease, but normal people have a 1:10,000 chance of having it.  The risk increases if you have another autoimmune endocrine disorder (which is why I was tested).

Any other possibilities that you're thinking of?  I can think of POTS... and autonomic dysfunction... which may or may not have a mast cell disorder as the underlying cause.

If you isolate each symptom there could be several if not dozens of differentials... abdominal pain, for example, is one of the most common complaints in the ER.  It was my "presenting symptom," but NOBODY would have guessed the underlying cause.    The constellation of symptoms is what led to a diagnosis.  One note of (caution? consolation?)... it's never easy to get a diagnosis for a systemic disorder because the symptoms cross into different medical specialties.

Heather

That each and every lesson... they were hard won.
24 November 2010 08:04 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/04/11 at 10:54:42

(Archived from riverwn2 - original forum)
riverwn2

Thats a great question Joan.. and I was thinking alot about that lately. I think people can try just a few antihistamines OTC safely, just to see if it helps.

As far as the Epi pens... thats very iffy. They cant get one without a Drs prescription, so at least one Dr thinks there is reason for concern--like throat constriction. Throat constriction is such an immediate emergency, if they dont stave it off, they can die before 911 arrives...so I would say, wait to use it IF they havent been diagnosed yet---UNLESS their airway is closing, and/or tongue is swelling (which could block their airway too)  then its the only solution to use it and be alive when helps arrives.

I worry that even people who dont have carcinoids use epi pens then stay home--and they should always go to the ER after using one.

Once they have a diagnosis, then they should know to use it when any symptom of anaphylaxis begins--and go to the ER immediately (I know you know this, this is for the benefit of our newbees reading this) Smiley

Just my two cents,
Ramona
24 November 2010 11:34 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/04/11 at 10:56:11

(Archived from starflower - original forum)
starflower

I think it's also important to realize that there's a difference between a "diagnosis" and a DIAGNOSIS (the kind that helps you understand your prognosis and options for treatment).  I was diagnosed with anaphylaxis right in the ER.  There was no doubt in my mind what was happening... the doctor didn't have any doubts either.  I arrived in an ambulance, hooked up to an oxygen tank, covered head-to-toe with hives.  Once my GP saw the ER report he had no problem prescribing a set of EpiPens.  I didn't even have to ask.  

It took a lot longer to determine the cause of that attack and get a DIAGNOSIS... 11 months after my first trip to the ER.  That's a loooooong time to go without an EpiPen.

The bottom line for me... carcinoid needs to ruled in or out as quickly as possible!!!

Heather
That each and every lesson... they were hard won.
24 November 2010 08:54 PM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print