Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Lugar's IA Cocktail (Read 8110 times)
Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dr. Lugar's IA Cocktail
Reply #15 - 02/19/11 at 03:18:58

I was reading an article about antihistamine poisoning.  Maybe that's why I freaked a little.  Also, I do have that strange reaction to claritin.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Dr. Lugar's IA Cocktail
Reply #16 - 02/19/11 at 05:20:18

Jaxx wrote on 02/19/11 at 03:14:20:
I am always concerned about how much I should tell colleagues.  On one hand it could save my life and help kind hearted colleagues adapt to me.  On the other hand...well, they can use it to call my competence into question.  And you've met academics.  We're sort of asses.  

Oh yeah... academe is not for the faint of heart Grin

Until recently, my department was a real snake pit.  I'm very cautious about labeling people... and can be quite understanding about mental illness... but the person who was my department chair from 2006 until April 2010 was seriously a sociopath.  He systematically went around the department attacking people until they either quit or broke down.  I was the first victim.  Long story why, but his behavior caused me to take a medical leave for several months... and that was before I started going into anaphylaxis!  When I returned people treated me like I was absolutely CRAZY.  Last spring I was vindicated when the chair was forcibly removed from his position Wink  Now that I might be the next department chair (again, long story) people are treating me verrrrrry differently.  Frankly, it makes me laugh.

I haven't told my colleagues very much about my condition.  They know I have some kind autoimmune disorder and there are lots of things I can't eat.  That's about it.  My early warning signs are not visible... a "gnawing" feeling in my stomach, dizziness, and racing heartbeat (tachycardia).  I take some liquid Benadryl and problem solved Smiley  I wouldn't hesitate to step out of a meeting for a minute... much better than telling those two-faced <ahem> about my EpiPens.  You're absolutely right that people will use any excuse to question your competence.  I just think that when you have obvious skin symptoms (flushing) and you need people to warn you... it's probably better to give them permission to tell you and talk about it.  You don't have to tell them the whole story though Wink  I certainly don't plan to!  They wouldn't really understand anyway.  Such is life with a rare disease.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print