Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Lugar's IA Cocktail (Read 8113 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Dr. Lugar's IA Cocktail
01/04/11 at 10:26:59

(Archived from sharon-nc - original forum)
sharon-nc

AM Meds (Breakfast)
Clarinex 5mg (she does not reccomend Clariten)
Zantac 150mg
Allegra 60mg

PM (around 6PM)
Zantac 150

PM (before Bed)
Zyrtec 10mg

She does use Doxepin instead of Zyrtec for some patients. I don't tolerate Doxepin so it's off limits for me. She also uses higher doses of Allegra and Zantac in some patients, but I do better on the lower doses. She does use benedryl as an add on when needed or in combination with the epi pen. She had me blend all this in with my other meds for other stuff - (still on Toprol right now, Klonopin, & Celexa) so with my Caltra D and my Fisol - I have an impressively large pill box.
14 November 2008 03:07 PM

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Dr. Lugar's IA Cocktail
Reply #1 - 01/04/11 at 10:28:29

(Archived from hippiechick - original forum)
hippiechick

Sharon,
Dr. Lugar sounds on target with the experts at Vandy with her "cocktail".  I recently moved to NC and have requested an appointment with Dr. Lugar via the Duke website.  Happy flushing!!

22 July 2009 07:44 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/04/11 at 10:29:48

(Archived from starfish - original forum)
starfish

my question...is it ok to take meds together, at the same time thatis....(i take gastrocrom also)
22 July 2009 04:16 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/04/11 at 10:31:25

(Archived from deborahw - original forum)
deborahw
Don't know about gastrocrom, but it is fine to take the antihistamines together. When in doubt, just call and check with your pharmacist. That is what I do.

Our forum is moving soon!
Visit our new mast cell forum and apply for membership today:
mastcelldisorders.wallack.us
23 July 2009 07:19 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/04/11 at 10:32:47

(Archived from sandyblueyz - original forum)
sandyblueyz

Starfish,

I take all of those and the Gastrocrom too....my doctor has me take Gastrocrom 4 times a day, before meals, and before bed...and he said its fine to take them all together.  Have you had any problems with the Gastrocrom?  How long have you been taking it?  Curious...I've had mine since March.  I'm in Colorado.

Sandy
23 July 2009 11:44 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/04/11 at 10:34:10

(Archived from jillg - original forum)
jillg

My pharmacist told me NOT to take Gastrocrom at the same time as the antihistamines.  That's moreorless creating a chemical mix in your stomach that is of a different composition that the drug in isolation. Whether or not that hurts you, hard to say, but I was advised not to do it.  I try to "stagger" my meds as much as possible so that they don't hit my system all at once.  Drugs do interact.

Basically, the antihistamine are only helping you avoid the symptoms.  They block the receptor that the excess histamine produced by your body.  That's why you "feel" better.  You are still making histamine, you just don't feel the effects.

Gastrocrom is a mast cell stabilizer.  It helps to inhibit the release of histamine from your cells.  You still have cells doing abnormal things, it is just that the Gastrocrom blocks them from "dropping the histamine package in the mail."

There isn't really a "cure" for this, you are just treating the symptoms so that you don't feel the effects of too much histamine.

Histamine does serve a usefull purpose in the body, working in immunity reactions and it is a neurotransmitter.  You do need some of it.  The goal is to block enough so that you don't feel bad, and then there will still me some "hanging around" to do the jobs that your body needs to do.  It's all about acheiving the proper balance between pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory reactions.

24 July 2009 09:09 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 01/04/11 at 10:35:28

(Archived from starfish - original forum)
starfish
i have not had any problem with the gastrocrom.  i have been taking since 06. i also try to "stagger" my meds, but as a result don't always get them all in!
24 July 2009 09:42 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 01/04/11 at 10:36:39

(Archived from thefoxx - original forum)
thefoxx

Jill - when I saw Dr. Castell in May she said that she believes there will be a cure for this in our lifetime.  Wouldn't that be wonderful!
24 July 2009 11:40 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #8 - 01/04/11 at 10:38:00

(Archived from jillg - original forum)
jillg

That would be AWESOME.  I really hope she is right.... I PRAY she is right!!!!  I just meant that there is no "cure" for it right now.  I keep telling myself to hang in there, and that there has to be something uncovered out there that will help us.

I definitely think there are a lot of awesome things coming up on the medical horizon.  I work in research and there are are some amazing things coming down the pike, at least that I know of for some diseases.
25 July 2009 09:55 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #9 - 01/04/11 at 10:39:43

(Archived from cocoapuff68 - original forum)
cocoapuff68

I am praying for that too !!!!  but I am still new to all of this and I am a disaster.....I don't know what to do or which way to go and if it wasn't for Deborah ...I dunno where I would be going but at least now I am heading to Dr. Castells and Her team..hopefully they can help ...
25 July 2009 03:20 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #10 - 01/04/11 at 10:45:31

(Archived from sharon-nc - original forum)
deborahw

Awwww, Thanks Cocoapuff! I love knowing that I can make even a small postive difference! Good luck at your appointment!

Our forum is moving soon!
Visit our new mast cell forum and apply for membership today:
mastcelldisorders.wallack.us
03 November 2009 10:07 AM

IP Logged

Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 02/17/11 at 01:42:43

Sorry about this first paragraph.  A lot happened in the last weekend.  Right in the middle of a university meeting I was chairing, I had an anaphalactic reaction.  Forty-five adults saw my face turn bright red, and begin to swell, noticed that I was sweating, and that I began to have changes in behavior; AND NOT ONE IDIOT THOUGHT IT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO MENTION TO ME.  I've been talking with my GP, as I've told you guys he is an amazing doctor even though he doesn't have any expertise in the area.  Dr. Lugar can't see me until July 25th!  But Dr. Akin responded to my email, and told me to get the Tryptase test, which I visited my doctor's office to take.  I also told him that I wanted to find a better hemotologist as I didn't trust LabCorp, because they made errors on some of my previous tests and ran some wrong tests (BTW I don't have HIV, which is always good to know I suppose).  And he set me up with a local hemotology team that works out of an oncology office in town.  

I asked him how many zytec and allegra I could take without poisoning myself.  He said no studies had been done on zyrtec, but that you could take up to 4 180 allegra a day with no drowsiness.  However, my pharmacy can only do two of those a day.

Does anyone take two zyrtec a day?  I'm having to take a lot of emergency benadryl...and that has major consequences on my alertness (also it causes depression on the day after).

Also Riverwan mentioned that Dr. Lugar advised against clariten.  Both me and my husband experienced the following side effect on clariten (he is fall allergies, he is not masto or anything similar).  After three consecutive days on clariten we both experienced loopy brain.  To make sure it was the clariten, I tried clariten on four occasions at different levels of symptoms.  Three days = loopy brain.

IP Logged

In2butterflyz
Tutor

Reply #12 - 02/17/11 at 04:53:07

Hey Jaxx,

I take 20mg’s of Zyrtec (actually its Aller-Tec which is Costco’s brand of Zyrtec) in the morning and then another 20mg’s at night.   I feel fine taking that amount, I have some mild skin dryness right now but I have always had that in the winter months.   When I go back to the doctor I am going to ask for a prescription of Allegra so I can swap out one of my doses.  I have read on here that Dr. Akin has found a better response with two different H1 blockers.   I was going to try Clartin  and Zyrtec but then I read that Claritin is the mildest of the less-sedating H1 antihistamines, I am not on any kind of mast cell stabilizer (although I need to be) so I figure that I need the strongest I can get.

Take Care,
Tracey

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #13 - 02/17/11 at 05:32:02

I also take 20mg of Claritin in the morning and 20mg of Zyrtec at night... no side effects Smiley  Antihistamines in general are very safe.

BTW, Jaxx... I also work in a university setting.  I bet your colleagues noticed, but were too embarassed (or maybe puzzled) to say anything.  If you want them to warn you when you're getting flushed, I think you need to give them permission!  They're probably already gossiping about this episode.  Better to end the speculation and... for your safety... get the information out in the open.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 02/19/11 at 03:14:20

Riverwn,

We must be mental twins.  I sent out a lightly toned email to the entire committee.  I diffused the embarrassment, then gave them permission to tell me in the future.  Although, I'm glad you gave this advice spontaneously.  I am always concerned about how much I should tell colleagues.  On one hand it could save my life and help kind hearted colleagues adapt to me.  On the other hand...well, they can use it to call my competence into question.  And you've met academics.  We're sort of asses.  

I told them that the meeting had been a very exciting meeting, but probably for me more than anyone else.  That what they'd seen had been the beginning of anaphalactic shock.  And that they shouldn't be worried about embarrassing me by telling me.  I keep medication to treat the symptoms on me at all times, and they will be helping me.

I think I needed to vent.  I was on oxygen the year before last; these people know I have health problems.  But the USA has such a culture of pretending sickness doesn't exist.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print