Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chicago Mast Cell Doctors (Read 7172 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Chicago Mast Cell Doctors
01/01/11 at 10:06:48

(Archived from soundandvision - original forum)
soundandvision

Anyone have any doctor recs for WI or IL or can refer me to a doctor that may be able to suggest someone?  I live in Milwaukee and I'm having a hard time finding someone to go to aside from the Mayo Clinic in MN (unfortunately my health insurance doesn't cover Mayo and I just don't have the funds).

Thanks!

-Kiley
07 September 2010 11:18 AM

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Chicago Mast Cell Doctors
Reply #1 - 01/01/11 at 10:08:36

(Archived from starflower - original forum)
starflower

There's a doctor at Northwestern (in Chicago) who has treated patients with idiopathic anaphylaxis.  His name is Paul Greenberger.  I contacted him when I was trying desperately to find an allergist in southern Indiana who could help me... he responded very quickly.  If he's not seeing patients these days he should at least be able to give you some contacts.  Here's his faculty profile:

http://fsmweb.northwestern.edu/faculty/facultyProfile.cfm?xid=11639

One note of caution... in his 2007 article on idiopathic anaphylaxis, he still recommended long-term treatment with steroids for "difficult" cases.  Very old school.

Heather

That each and every lesson... they were hard won.
07 September 2010 08:48 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/01/11 at 10:09:55

(Archived from deborahw - original forum)
deborahw
Yes, be careful with Dr. Greenberger. Old school is the perfect term for him. I believe that when I researched doctors, he was a strong advocate of putting patients on prednisone as their main remedy. Geez, that would be awful (not to mention that is an outdated remedy now).
07 September 2010 09:11 PM

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 09:20:42

I actually saw Dr. Greenberger back in 2003 and he diagnosed me with IA.  At the time, he put me on ketotifen which is one of the reasons I went to Chicago. I had researched it with my doc in MI and she thought it would be a good option to try but did not know how to get it for me.  Dr. Greenberger offered it up without me asking so I was glad to know that we were on the same page. Subsequently, I have been back to Chicago about 4-5 times (when I'm having bad flares) and to get my ketotifen rx renewed.  I only saw Dr. Greenberger the first time and now see Dr. McGrath.  Honestly, I probably won't go back. My local allergist has figured out how to get the "k" for me and I feel she is much more intuned to my needs as I'm a regular and not a visitor.  Also, after visiting Chi last year, they switch my meds up and they were not strong enough. Note. They asked me how I was doing and I said good but very tired so they put  me on Allegra which was not strong enough as I was used to taking Zyrtec. Today is my first day back to work and I have been off almost full-time since Dec 20th. I'm praying that I will remain stable and not have to use anymore sick time.  I would go to Mayo before Chicago, hands down.  I saw Dr. Rank at Mayo and really liked him.

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/11 at 11:16:36

Hi All ,

Dr Greenburger developed the first IA diagnosis protocol . For this may of us are grateful . As it made IA offical when anaphylaxis was still something no one wanted to diagnose . he was the first to allow diagnosis of IA without hypotension ( low blood pressure ) and acknowldge abdominal anaphylaxis as an entity .

IA -
      Frequent ( more than 6 episodes a year )
      Infrequent ( less than 6 )
      Genreralised - utricarial , angioodema , assoc with severe respiratory distress / syncope
      OR hypotension and GI symtoms
      Angioodema = massive tounge enlargement
      OR severe pharahngeal
      OR Laryngeal swelling with utricaria or peripherial odeama

But he did ,and from what others have said still does still see steriods as a primary treatment . This was based on several , now rather unhelpful articles from the northwest , have references , which discussed the presence of steriod dependant IA , that needed large daily doses to create stability and no anphylaxis .

Over time it has been found it doesn't really work as they and DR Greenburger thought .

We are lucky to have new drugs to allow steriods to be emergency only xxxxx

Josie xxxxxx

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 03/14/11 at 14:06:18

Steroids DO work just as Dr. Greenberger described (that's Northwestern University in Illinois, by the way).  The problem is... the side effects are so awful that it's not a viable treatment in the long-run.  

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/prednisone-side-effects.html

People like me, Debbie, and Lisa are living proof that it IS possible to tame idiopathic anaphylaxis... even very frequent attacks!... through other types of medications plus lifestyle changes.  

I actually contacted Dr. Greenberger early in my journey, when I was desperate to find a reasonably local allergist to work with.  The person he put me in touch with is still my allergist... although I have to say that he's very conservative.  I have two other doctors involved in my care... for good reason!  MAYBE Dr. Greenberger was revolutionary in his time.  I don't know.  He's not today.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/14/11 at 15:30:11

Hi heather ,

Smiley That was kind of my point but didn't put it as well as you Smiley  Without his work I would never have known that there may be a name for my illness .

Yes , steriods do work , but as you say the side effects are not viable long term . I am a case in point xxxx It controlled my reactions , but I put on 3 stone 42lb in 6 months , it unmasked diabetes and my adrenals havent yet recovered . BUT Steriods revoloutionise my symptoms . They day steriods can be developed that work with no side effects .  will be first in the que . I wander if I was helped into stability by them ???? I will never know .

For doctors who do not understand idiopathic anaphylaxis , Dr Greenburgers work helps them understand .

Essensailly we now have the drugs he would ahve loved to ahve had to treat us with Smiley

My statement that the guidance was unhelpful , was that , unf some doctors used them wholesale not in the manner described by Dr Greenburger and his colluges . Steriod sparing ( reducing ) is recognised as being very difficult for patients with idiopathic reactions . Now ( here in the UK ) other drugs are given to patients who can not wean safely . The choices are :- cyclosporine , an immune surpressant used post transplant ( neoral ) and methotrexate , an immune surpressant with less kidney implications . I ahve high blood pressure and diabetes , so if I go into another snowball of reactions , methotrexate is the recommended drug of choice for me .

When I was on steriods I was wholly undermedicated . In an anphylaxis I have IV hydrocortisone ( solu medrol ) 200mg and 40mg for a week , then wean down .

My bones survived this , possibly because I was pouring pints of milk down my neck due to thirst from the emerging diabetes .

I am glad DR Greenburger helped you . I had hoped I would meet him , because of the influence his work had on my understanding of what was happening to me , a good while before I heard of mast cell activation syndrome Wink

many hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print