Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Patricia Lugar at Duke (Read 18297 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Dr. Patricia Lugar at Duke
Reply #30 - 12/30/10 at 16:21:45

(Archived from jillg- original forum)
jillg
Sharon, the "Gator" has electrolytes and sugar in it.... there are some clues for you.  I had the same thing happen with me when I got weirded!  For me, it was 7 UP.

Do you get it more on a hot day when you've sweat a lot?  That might be electrolytes.

See if they can give you a little glucose monitor to test your sugar when it is low.  They are really easy to use, and most of the time insurance will cover it if low blood sugar is suspected.

How are you?  I hope really hope you are feeling better now.

16 June 2009 10:07 PM

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #31 - 12/30/10 at 16:23:13

(Archived from miatamom - original forum)
miatamom
Hi all,
    Well they botched my gallbladder surgery up...and I had to go back for another one! They left a stone in the duct and the duct collasped........so I went into complete liver failure! I called the doc 3 times to tell him...he said I had gas!!!   HA HA HA..... I went in finally and he said your are right...went in that day for more surgery....2 surgerys in a week!!!!  I packed up and went to the beach the after they released me....... I needed that break and it was a way for me try to regain some independence and recapture some control of my livid thoughts where doctors are concerned1
 Sharon, thank you for lookin for more docs.....I wrote Lugar a letter....and still havent mailed it!
 Well...I hope everyone is doing well!!!!! Take care and chat laterz..
            Karyl
18 June 2009 02:39 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #32 - 12/30/10 at 16:24:19

(Archived from sharon-nc - original forum)
sharon-nc

Jill,
When I saw the Doc on Monday I mentioned the blood sugar idea to her. She said she didn't think that low blood sugar was the issue since I sweat just as much on cold days as hot days. And that my medical records reflect that I'm always sweaty and that I've complained about being sweaty more when the weather is cold than when hot. She thinks that I'm loosing my fluids.
She did then proceed to give me the lecture about eating 5 small meals per day and making sure that I stay hydrated. She also told me to stop at the store near her office and get a Gatorade to drink on the way home.
Hmmm - and I'm wondering if I got crabby at some point because not only did we stop for a Gatorade, we also hit the Chick-filet drive through too. French fries and a Gatorade for me.
My next medical adventure is the Autonomic Dysfunctions Center - which ever one I can get in first. My Doc's are pretty sure that the current issue is more of an Autonomic Dysfunction issue.
26 June 2009 05:54 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #33 - 12/30/10 at 16:25:35

(Archived from deborahw - original forum)
deborahw
Gatorade triggers me......
26 June 2009 09:04 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #34 - 12/30/10 at 16:27:02

(Archived from starfish - original forum)
starfish

Sharon...I am the same way...I get all shakey and miserable...then I eat and am better. My sister and my dad the same way.       Once I got on Gastrocrom, all my "sweats" got better Since I had a hysterectomy, my MD kept increasing my Premarin, thinking it was hormome related. Once on Gastrocrom (years later) I decreased the hormome.       Chick-filet~something I can eat!!! yummm....but there are none in our town Sad
27 June 2009 02:06 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #35 - 12/30/10 at 16:28:04

(Archived from sharon-nc - original forum)
sharon-nc
Starfish,
When masto suddenly turned on in my life I started sweating like a professional athlete on game day. Didn't matter what the weather was doing, cold or hot or what I was doing - including sleeping. Initially the Doc's thought it was hormonal. They tried me on birth control pills - which I'd never tolerated, then on a variety of hormones. Now, years later I've had a total hysterectomy and am on Estrodial (mostly to keep me from going out of my mind from lack of hormones - that seems to run in my family). My sweats only change when my masto symptoms are under good control.
I'm sorry ya'll don't have Chick-filet. I could be a total vegan if it weren't for my once a month visit to Chick-filet.
27 June 2009 03:14 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #36 - 12/30/10 at 16:29:31

(Archived from starfish - original forum)
starfish

Sharon I wonder if Gastrocrom could be a  help for you....pre Gastrocrom I described my skin as melting...Gastrocrom was a real life changer for me.    Maybe someday we will get a Chick-Filet, I always look forward to driving to Florida for that reason. haha sounds pretty pathetic doesn't it?  :p
28 June 2009 11:53 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #37 - 12/30/10 at 16:30:44

(Archived from thefoxx - original forum)
thefoxx

That's funny - since starting gastocrom, I've noticed I sweat even more now.

I can't do gatorade.  I have found that if I am in need of electrolytes, SmartWater is the best thing for me.  Nothing but water & electrolytes.  No flavoring or sweeteners at all.
29 June 2009 08:12 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #38 - 12/30/10 at 16:32:01

(Archived from jillg - original forum)
jillg

Pedia-lyte for me!  The Pedia-lyte popsickles taste kind of synthetic and weird, but they are good in a pinch on a hot summer day, and the sythetic taste reminds me of all the pop-ice I ate when I was little.... fun to remenisce about synthetic dyes from childhood!
10 July 2009 10:13 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #39 - 12/30/10 at 16:33:20

(Archived from oxsh - original forum)
oxsh
I also live in NC. I considered going to see Dr. Lugar last fall but was referred by a friend to Dr Adela Taylor (offices in Lenoir, Morganton and Marion NC) as someone my friend thought could help me with my 'allergy problems'. Dr Taylor is an allergist / immunologist, is very personable and interested in helping her patients. She spent well over an hour with my on my first visit, didn't treat me like I was crazy (lots of Docs I have been to do that...as if I am making up these symptoms) and recognized that this was possible masto. She has treated several patients with masto. She is not an 'expert' in the field but does a lot of research on the illness in order to better treat her patients. She personally knows Dr. Wheiler and Dr Butterfield at Mayo and has previously worked there. I trust her and she has helped me get the masto under control.

23 July 2009 11:47 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #40 - 12/30/10 at 16:34:54

(Archived from eener - original forum)
eener

To Karyl Murray and anyone else in NC:

My doctor is Dr. Maya Jerath at UNC hospitals  (allergy clinic on Fearington Rd).  After 13 doctors with no clue and a few near death experiences,  she finally knew what the heck was wrong with me(she had a feeling it was mast cells the first time I saw her!) and diagnosed me with MCAD and has been very successful controlling it for me with meds, stress relief, and avoidance of triggers.  She is excellent!!!!!!!!  To be honest, I don't trust anyone else.      Good health... Renee
11 February 2010 06:05 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #41 - 12/30/10 at 16:36:10

(Archived from hippiechick - original forum)
hippiechick

God love Dr. Lugar.  She is SUPER!  I adore her and the approaches she uses to treat my Masto!
11 March 2010 10:52 AM

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print