Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Practicing Psychiatry without a License? (Read 3224 times)
CindyP
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Practicing Psychiatry without a License?
09/14/16 at 06:17:44

So the rheumy ordered physical therapy for the pain in my shoulder/arm.  Sounded reasonable and I was all for giving it a try.  

However, the therapist I was referred to spent 1 1/2 hours asking questions that had little to do with my physical history and much more to do with my childhood and relationships.  Notes were taken on what my parents, husband and I have done for a living throughout the years.  Questions were asked about my education and even my children's education plans.  

During the last 1/2 hour it was obvious that the next patient was becoming more of a concern than I was.  (Not just my perception. Literally, a clock was brought into the room.)  The focus quickly shifted from questioning me to laying out "the plan".

My therapy was to join a Fibromyalgia support group and to begin guided meditation at their facility. No actual physical therapy would even be scheduled until after beginning to attend these sessions 3 times a week.  It was at that point I realized why I was being asked all the "extra-curricular" questions.  

This was not the physical therapy that I agreed to.  I had many questions, but my time was up.  This was as far as my $85 would take me this day.  The one question I slipped in earlier in the conversation was met with the answer, "I don't want to address that at this point."

I won't be going back to this place.  I couldn't help but feel like they are practicing a type of psychotherapy without a license.  I've let the nurse at the rheumy's office know about my experience and I'm being referred to another facility. (One I checked out online and requested.)  

Hmmm....reminds me of a doctor saying the pain is all in your head!
Angry

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Practicing Psychiatry without a License?
Reply #1 - 09/19/16 at 18:23:54

That's awful and a waste of money!  Hope the next one is better.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print