Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Role of female sex hormones, estradiol and progesterone, in mast cell behavior (Read 4501 times)
Kay
Rookie

Role of female sex hormones, estradiol and progesterone, in mast cell behavior
03/24/16 at 01:23:46

I found this short article, Role of female sex hormones, estradiol and progesterone, in mast cell behavior by Oliver Zierau1, Ana C. Zenclussen2 and Federico Jensen, in  Frontiers of Immunology to be very interesting.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fimmu.2012.00169/full#h1

I am one of the "lucky" ones whose long list of allergies went on vacation during pregnancy, so there seems to be a connection between mast cells and female hormones.

Does any of the other females in this group experience fluctuations in the severity of the mast cells disorder symptoms that correlate with menstrual cycle, or change during pregnancy, hysterectomy or hormone medication?

Kay

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Role of female sex hormones, estradiol and progesterone, in mast cell behavior
Reply #1 - 03/29/16 at 14:35:48

All of my most serious episodes of anaphylaxis happened right before the start of my period.  Even now that I'm more stable, I notice an increase in symptoms like pain (joint pain, back pain, headache), dizziness, and mild diarrhea.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Role of female sex hormones, estradiol and progesterone, in mast cell behavior
Reply #2 - 03/30/16 at 03:46:59

The time during my period is always my most dangerous time of having anaphylactic symptoms....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/06/16 at 02:21:55

several years ago when we had the national conf in Oklahoma City ...Dr Miner was the guest speaker and he mentioned this connection.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print