Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible Side effects of antihistamines? (Read 4887 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Possible Side effects of antihistamines?
10/11/15 at 05:44:17

Hello all:)
I won't get too into my story as I've put it on here before, but long story short, I've been dealing with anxiety (both physical and mental) panic attacks, derealization (surreal feeling of walking around in a dream, detached feeling- very unnerving and scary) insomnia, constant vertigo and dizziness, severe brain fog (to the point where sometimes I feel I have dementia), confusion and disorientation, moments of irritability and feeling spun out, and intrusive racing thoughts (sometimes uncontrollable suicidal thoughts Embarrassed)  for nearly a year now. It's been horrible and scary. I want my life back. My husband wants his wife back, my son needs his mom back, my parents want their daughter back.

I've been all over the country looking for answers- including renown psychiatric facilities and the mayo clinic in Scottsdale. They just say it's anxiety and an inner ear vestibular dysfunction.

I have a diagnosis of autoimmune urticaria and loose diagnosis of MCAS. I have been taking Zyrtec, Zantac and Allegra since diagnosis 5 1/2 years ago.

I am wondering if the antihistamines COULD be part of my problem. Has anyone experienced any long term side effects from antihistamines? Is it possible to feel "ok" on antihistamines for 4 years and then suddenly get new side effects from them? (Although I Think it's fair to say that I have been dealing with more severe anxiety symptoms than I used to over the past 5 years)

My other thought is whether or not the is could be mast cell related and I either need more antihistamines, or need to try other medications. I have an appointment to see Dr. Afrin, but it's not until next June Sad

I know this is a touchy subject as we need our antihistamines, but this past year has been truly unbearable and I'm looking for answers. I feel that there has to be an answer to all this, a missing puzzle piece,  I just need to find a doctor that is willing to help me figure it out.

Yesterday I forgot to take my antihistamines for the first time in a long time, which is what got me thinking about this. I did have an ok night last night- I was able to go to a movie with my husband and son which is a big deal for me these days- but did not sleep at all, mind was racing all night, and feel yucky and spun out this morning, but I'm sure missing just one dose is too soon to tell what the effects would be. Wondering if it would be worth trying to go without for a few days to see how I do.
Thanks for reading! Looking forward to any thoughts or experiences!

*** I did end up taking 1/2, 5 mg Zyrtec this morning and Zantac 150 this afternoon.
Also been doing some googling... Looks like Zantac can cause symptoms such as anxiety, dizziness and insomnia! Interesting...has anyone experienced this from Zantac?
« Last Edit: 10/11/15 at 10:38:52 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Possible Side effects of antihistamines?
Reply #1 - 10/13/15 at 18:47:46

It's difficult to say for sure what is causing you anxiety and panicky feelings, but those are very much a part of my degranulations.  Before I was on sufficient doses of meds, anxiety and depression were frequent companions.

The first medicine that have me hope of feeling better was doxepin,  a tricyclic antidepressant that is also an H1 and H2 histamine blocker.  I took it for quite a while, and wasn't sure whether it caused some cognitive and short term memory problems (temporary until I went off it) or if that was my masto causing those symptoms.  When my symptoms are sufficiently controlled, neither of those are problems for me. When I'm flaring, I have to up my meds to control those symptoms.

I have ended up, after some experimenting, on Allegra 60 mg. and Pepcid 10-20 mg, in the mornings and 10 mg Zyrtec and 20 mg Pepcid at night. Ativan, about 1/3 mg. at night helps with sleep and muscle tension, as well as other times for stressful situations.  Other types of antidepressants, such as the SSRIs are not histamine blockers, so those won't have an affect on MC symptoms.

If I were you, I would think that it is either the meds or the MC disorder causing your emotional dysfunction/problems. Changing your meds and/or playing with dosages of your current meds seems logical to try.  Be careful cutting down on meds and watch yourself closely to see what happens. If you do get increased symptoms, you might want to try switching antihistamines to see if different ones work better, for example, Xyzal for an H1 blocker and Pepcid for H2 blocking.  Sometimes antihistamines can stop working, as well. Switching might give you a better idea of how to control your symptoms.

Another thought is that you're triggered by something new, so revisit what you're eating, with what environmental triggers you're in contact, etc. which triggers can cause anxiety problems, etc.

Good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 10/13/15 at 18:59:23

Two more thoughts. Have you tried a mast cell stabilizer, such as Gastrocrom or Ketotifen?  If not, it might be worth testing them to see if one might help.  Try to take the name brand of Gastrocrom if you try it. I've found the generic to be less effective.

Joan

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/17/15 at 15:33:42

I was thinking the same thing recently and stopped taking all H1 and H2.  Also I stopped magnesium, vitamin b6 and b1.  I was feeling really toxic and dizzy.

I'm no better or worse.  I still feel like garbage and no doctor knows what is wrong with me.  My stomache is really bad now.

I seriously am trying to get my life in order for my family in case I drop dead.

I went to a 5th rheumatologist and he's stumped too.  It's autoimmune, but autoimmune what.  My brain is fried.

I can't take it anymore.

I read antihistamines can bring on dementia too.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 04/30/16 at 00:02:05

PJP123  I'm with you.  I've basically stopped my antihistamines because my memory problems were becoming worse.  I'm close to 65 years old, and I want my memory back before I go!  I still take 3 doses of the H2 blocker Ranitidine, though.

I have also been told I have autoimmune gut disease, but of unknown origin.  I, like you, feel I am in a downward spiral with no help in site. I'm assuming my problems are here to stay and that they are incompatible with life.  I am doing the best I can, but every day is a challenge since I have no idea when my "autoimmune gut problems" will bring me down. Basically, I feel cursed. I have cut out many foods, as I react to almost anything I eat, with one symptom or another. I am expected to act normally" and do what "normal people" do, but it is increasingly difficult.  Traveling is torture.  Making any plans to do anything brings on anxiety as to what problems I may encounter. I pray a lot.

Any medication I take just makes me much worse.  So, basically,  no medicinal intervention has helped me, and if it has, the side effects were not worth living with. I do not want dementia on top of everything else.

Just wanted to let you know that I understand your issues, and I pray that we all find relief.  God's peace to you. I usually do not frequent this forum anymore. I find more relief trying NOT to think of my problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print