Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Derealization/anxiety/panic (Read 8535 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Derealization/anxiety/panic
09/08/15 at 10:45:01

Hi friends! I've been on hiatus from this website trying to figure out what is going on with me, but to no avail. At the risk of you all thinking I'm nuts (which I'm not, just stuggling with severe anxiety type symptoms) I decided to come back here and let you know what's been going on with me the past 10 months to see if anyone can relate...I'm pretty desperate Embarrassed
As far as mast cell goes, my only diagnosis as of now is autoimmune urticaria. I have been told by two doctors that it "sounds" like I have mast cell activation, but it wasn't their specialty.

Last October I stopped sleeping. Total insomnia. In November I started having intermittent dizzy spells. On December 19th I had a severe "panic attack". Since then I have been stuck in an anxiety state of fight or flight, which has put me in a state of derealization (feeling like I'm detached and everything is a dream). I have constant vertigo (like walking on a trampoline) I can't sleep, can't eat, impending doom feeling in my stomach, am often disoriented and confused, bad brain fog. . I have severe migraines, and panic attacks on top of panic.

I have been to two highly regarded inpatient psychiatric clinics looking for help, but nothing has worked. They say it's anxiety and OCD. Ive tried over a dozen psych meds, but
everything I've tried makes me feel worse and nothing calms me down (though I am on some psych meds currently- mainly things I've been in for years- Zoloft, Ativan, low dose geodon) the only thing new  is prozasin for nightmares and Elavil for migraines. I have been on these new drugs since April.
I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. I'm so afraid. Afraid of being stuck like this forever. I have no idea whether or not this could be mast cell related, but I thought I'd come here to see if anyone can relate.... Has anyone ever had derealization and constant anxiety? It's the scariest feeling Cry
I still take my Allegra, Zyrtec and Zantac everyday, but other than that, I've put my mast cell disorder on the back burner, but now I'm wondering since nobody can figure out what is wrong with me, if it could possibly have something to do with what I'm going through.

I just had my Mirena IUD taken out a month ago which I had for 16 months. It dawned on me that between the mast cell disorder, and being sensitive to everything, it probably wasn't such a good idea to have an IUD. I am hoping that as I regain my natural hormones, things will begin to improve...although so far, it seems as though things get worse before they get better.

Hope you are all doing well.
« Last Edit: 09/09/15 at 08:55:26 by Britt »  

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Derealization/anxiety/panic
Reply #1 - 09/08/15 at 16:44:39

I'm no closer to diagnosis than you Britt.  I can relate to your symptoms and will tell you what I'm up to now.  I went to renowned gastrointerologist in New York City (6 mos. wait to get in) and he did lactulose bacterial overgrowth test and it came back borderline positive.

Today I started Xifaxin for bacterial overgrowth.  I looked up what it's used for and I was startled to read about Hepatic Encephalapathy.

Patients can have difficulty with balance and walking. Occasionally, tremors similar to Parkinson’s disease can also be present.

What are the stages of hepatic encephalopathy?

There are four different stages of symptoms of HE. The abnormalities that reflect mental and personality changes are distinguished from those reflecting neuromuscular functions.

In Stage 1, the symptoms include short attention span, nightmares and poor night time sleep with daytime sleepiness, restlessness, depression, aimless wandering, anxiety and irritability.
In Stage 2, the mental and personality changes include obvious drowsiness, obvious personality changes, gross impairment of ability to do mental tasks, slowed response, disobedience, sullenness, disorientation for time and place.
In Stage 3, the symptoms include bizarre behavior, occasional fits of rage, marked confusion, incomprehensible speech, paranoia and anger.
In Stage 4, coma is present and can be either responsive or unresponsive to painful stimuli.

HE can also be subtle and on-going. It may not be noticeable to anyone except close family members, or even the patient, who may notice mild forgetfulness, lack of concentration or that he or she is “not as sharp” as before.

This gives you another direction for sure.  It may be the meds make the liver not function properly and then this cascade of problems.  I'm still puttering along.  The H1 and H2 really only help for seasonal allergies which I have.

I know I have gotten better after antibiotics but it doesn't last.  I hope it's not my liver, that's for sure.

Read about this and let me know if you think it relates to you.

Pam

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/09/15 at 08:25:28

Hi Pam, I looked that up, but I'm pretty sure liver function is fine, but I can relate to the symptoms. Had blood work done not long ago.

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/10/15 at 15:28:47

I haven't had any liver function testing come back questionable either.  The symptoms fit me good expecially not being able to add and subtract, LOL.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 09/10/15 at 16:41:44

HI Britt,

I am awfully sorry to hear that you are having all these problems. I can't really offer any sage advice, but logically could it be that the anxiety is caused by a deep fear of your mast cell disease acting up? Before I was diagnosed, any tiny thing could trigger anaphylaxis in me, because I found that as one little symptom began, my brain started running the scenarios of what would happen if the symptoms quickly escalated. Finally I found a doctor who started me on meds, and they were certainly like a security blanket because I discovered that they did work in shutting down my anaphylaxis. This meant that as soon as I started getting ill, I would keep my anxiety at bay because I knew that the med would work. I would take one of my antihistamines and just feel a sense of relief because I knew within minutes that  my symptoms would calm down.  It sounds as if more than this is going on with you, but maybe this is a part of it?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/16/15 at 04:14:13

Hi Deborah, thank you for your response. I do think part of this is a vicious circle of worry, but I also think something else is going on. When I have an "attack", it feels like I'm also having an allergic reaction in that my cheeks feel thick and swollen, my throat gets tight, but not to an alarming point, but then my throat remains sore for the rest of the day, and my upper gums iny mouth go numb along with tongue sores and severe confusion, disorientation and brain fog.

I was able to talk to Dr. Afrin via email about my symptoms and he said that it could be cell related. Unfortunately I can't get in to see him until June 2016. I am working hard to find a doctor who will be willing to contact Dr. Afrin and do the proper testing on me and then treatment advice.

Does anyone else have constant dizziness? Like 24 hours a day? I can barely walk anymore, and I'm always confused and disoriented. It's gotten to the point of effecting my vision.

I'm not sure if I already mentioned this, but I had my Mirena IUD removed on August 11 hoping it would help my symptoms, but instead, all my symptoms have gotten much worse. The past 5 weeks have been so hard, and I'm getting worse and worse by the day. I don't know what is going on with me  Cry my local doctors have no idea what to do with me and do not seem to grasp the severity of my condition. All they say is that it's anxiety and send me on my way. So frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas on medication I can try here at home to see if I can get any relief? I tried extra Zantac one day and extra Allegra another, but no relief.

What about other doctors who may be able to see my sooner? My only diagnosis at this point is automimmune urticaria. I know Dr. Afrin is very progressive as far as medications to try. Is there anyone else out there like that that would be willing to see me without s MCAS diagnosis?
Thank you all so much for reading this.

Quick question/update...I went to a neurologist today regarding my migraines. They are recommending Botox. Does anyone know about Botox and mast cell disorder? Worries me to have a long term injection in case I were to have a negative reaction. Of course they know nothing about mast cell disease, so could not comment.
« Last Edit: 09/16/15 at 07:26:41 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #6 - 09/21/15 at 09:32:06

Britt,  

It is very difficult with a body feeling poorly and no idea what is causing it.

I do want to mention another thing that I know Dr. Afrin checked me for:  he checked the levels of methyhistamines in my urine, and epinephrine, norepineprine, and chromogranin A in my blood, among other things.

By looking at my results and having my history in front of him, he could rule out Pheochromocytoma as being a potential cause of my symptoms. At least he knew what else to test for to rule out other causes of my
symptoms.

I hope you made your appointment with Dr. Afrin, even if you have to wait?

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 10/11/15 at 06:12:05

Thank you futurehope! Is pheochromocytoma the same as carcinoid syndrome?
How are you doing?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print