Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mast cell doctor around Atlanta (Read 8909 times)
Rick
Rookie

Cumming,Georgia
mast cell doctor around Atlanta
04/02/15 at 14:23:11

Hello - I was diagnosed with mcad by Dr. Afrin a few years ago. After he relocated to Minneapolis I contacted an oncologist near Atlanta who started me on Gleevec which is what I wanted to do. The Gleevec helped somewhat however I became sensitized to it and could no longer tolerate it, even at a very small dose.

Does anyone know of a mast cell expert near the Atlanta area(4 or 5 hours drive)? I would like to find another Dr. who does research in Mast cell disease.

Thank-you,

rd

IP Logged

Ladybug2
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: mast cell doctor around Atlanta
Reply #1 - 05/08/15 at 23:40:22

Rick wrote on 04/02/15 at 14:23:11:
Hello - I was diagnosed with mcad by Dr. Afrin a few years ago. After he relocated to Minneapolis I contacted an oncologist near Atlanta who started me on Gleevec which is what I wanted to do. The Gleevec helped somewhat however I became sensitized to it and could no longer tolerate it, even at a very small dose.

Does anyone know of a mast cell expert near the Atlanta area(4 or 5 hours drive)? I would like to find another Dr. who does research in Mast cell disease.

Thank-you,

rd

Have you thought about calling Dr. Afrin for help? I hear that he is excellent with responding to those who reach out to him.

I was diagnosed with MCAS about three years ago. I'm curious as to what doctor you saw in Atlanta. I was hoping to see Dr. Afrin, but he moved away. I am in the process of scheduling to see Dr. Winton (north Atlanta w/Emory) who is a hematologist/oncologist. I hope to see him in the next few weeks. My list of questions is growing and I need to see someone who treats a lot of MC patients. I'm told that he is one of those people. I hope you haven't seen Dr. Winton yet and he is someone who would be able to help you!

IP Logged

Rick
Rookie

Cumming,Georgia
Reply #2 - 05/09/15 at 01:38:53

Hello LadyBug - I was seeing Dr Thomas Seay associated with Atlanta Cancer Care. He told me that he sees 2 or 3 people a year with mast cell issues. Initially he contacted Dr Afrin get up to speed on my history and advice on the Gleevec.

After the Gleevec started causing me problems I decided to discontinue visiting Dr. Seay. His office is associated with Northside Hospital and office visits are considered out-patient visit with a hefty co-pay.

I haven't heard of Dr. Winton,  but I certainly will follow. Dr. Afrin told me on my last visit that he preferred that a doctor contact him, however I did call him after Gleevec started causing problems, and asked his advice. He called back at the end of the day.

Thanks for your information,

Rick

IP Logged

Rick
Rookie

Cumming,Georgia
Reply #3 - 05/16/17 at 12:30:28

I did find a Dr who was willing to take me on as a patient. She consulted with Dr Afrin and prescribed Gleevec and then Sprycel. Unfortunately I eventually became intolerant of both drugs. Sprycel looked promising but after 4 month I could not tolerate it. I was allergic to it.

The Doctor is Dr. Saloni Tanna at Northeast Georgia Diagnostic Center in Gainesville, Ga. I found her to be very bright and willing to do the research to become familiar with mast cell disease.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print