Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Being pre medicated for MRI. Need some support :) (Read 4197 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Being pre medicated for MRI. Need some support :)
02/18/15 at 11:55:03

Hello all. Sorry for all the posting lately.

So I am having an MRI done tomorrow morning. Because I have a diagnosis for autoimmune urticaria, they are premedicating me before. I'm taking three 50 mg prednisone pills three times prior to MRI to help from having a reaction to the dye as well as 50 mg Benadryl.  
I've never taken prednisone and am very scared. Honestely I'm scared of all of this. I'm worried about the MRI, I'm scared about brain tumors, prednisone, claustrophobia in MRI. Everything.  Embarrassed It's scaring the pants off of me. What kind of reactions can I expect from prednisone? The pharmacist said it could trigger the fight or flight response and severe anxiety.  I'm already dealing with a ton of anxiety right now. I'm not sure I can handle any more.

Has anyone every had a reaction to prednisone? I am super sensitive to meds. They almost always whack me out.
Any thoughts, advice or encouragwnt would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks again

Update*** (sorry, I promise I'm not neurotic, just super scared)
So I talked to the prescribing doctor and told him I already have extreme anxiety and that at this point in time, I could not afford to take something that could spin me into a worse situation. I asked if I could do the MRI with contrast without prednisone and only Benadryl. He said that at this point he could not, and that I would need to get an ok from an immunologist to do this. For now the MRI is on hold.

Has anyone done MRI contrast without steroids?

« Last Edit: 02/18/15 at 14:33:34 by Britt »  

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Being pre medicated for MRI. Need some support :)
Reply #1 - 02/19/15 at 14:30:13

Hi--I did the MRI with contrast with Benadryl only, and it went well.  Prednisone helps me a lot when I'm having symptoms. The high doses make my heart pound, but I do well with 20mg, and have premedicated with 20mg twice before procedures (once 12 hours before, and once 2-3 hours before).  If you've never taken prednisone, it would be good to know if it helps you get out of your constant reactions.  Take care!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Being pre medicated for MRI. Need some support :)
Reply #2 - 02/19/15 at 14:48:26

Good advice Sarah! Thank you! I am going to talk to the doctor about doing a lower dose before rescheduling, but I do need to get the MRI

Update * went to allergist today to see if I could do the MRI with contrast without prednisone. She said that the MRI dye is much less likely to cause a reaction than CT dye. She also said that because I have never had an MRI or CT with contrast, there is no reason to think I will have a reaction. She said that I could go ahead and do it taking extra Zyrtec the day before, day off and 3 days after. Wants me to keep an epi on hand and Benadryl.
Hoping all of this will keep me out of any possible reaction, but glad I do not have to take prednisone. My mental state right now is too fragile Huh

Does contrast dye make you feel weird or different? Can you feel it? It's just so unnatural. Can it cause perminent damage in any way? This is giving me so much anxiety Cry
« Last Edit: 02/20/15 at 10:18:23 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print