Send Topic Print
Contrast dye (Read 10588 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Contrast dye
02/09/15 at 07:19:32

Hello all!
So I just got back from the ENT. I was getting a second opinion regarding chronic dizziness I've been experiencing the past few months.
I had a hearing and balance test done a few weeks ago. Found out that I have moderate weakness in my left ear causing the equilibrium issues.

Although unlikely, but possible, the doctor wants to rule out any tumors. I had a CT done without contrast 2 weeks ago after seeing the first ENT, but this doctor said that that wasn't good enough and that only an MRI with contrast would rule in/out the kind of tumors they would be looking for.

The doctor that diagnosed my autoimmune urticaria has moved her paractice out of town, so as far as that and mast cell disorder goes, I don't have anyone to talk to about the contrast dye, so I wanted to get your thoughts. It would be an MRI- not with iodine. I guess they use another kind of dye for MRI, I forget what it's called. Has anyone reading this had an MRI with contrast?

He also referred me to a rheumatologist for the AU. He believes that if its not a tumor, it is likely Menieres Disease which could be related to autoimmune.
Thank you for reading:)

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Contrast dye
Reply #1 - 02/09/15 at 16:30:07

Hi Brigitte,

I had to have an MRI with contrast 1.5 years ago, when I was reacting to everything.  I was freaked out!  I took my usual meds that morning, and then took liquid Benadryl 15 min before the scan.  I asked the guy to inject a small amount first, then if okay in a minute or 2, to do the rest.  I did not have ANY symptoms, I can't believe it.  So, good luck with everything-- I hope you feel better Smiley  --Sarah

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/10/15 at 10:49:50

Thanks Sarah! That's great news! I'm so glad you did well! That takes away some of the fear factor for me Wink.
Having mast cell disorder definitely makes things difficult. You have to think (and in my case have severe anxiety) over everything for fear of reaction. Makes me mad Angry.

I did email Dr. afrin, I think he has had it up to his head with me, and he did say that the contrast for MRI is less likely to cause a reaction than the contrast for CT. So that's good. I also spoke with the allergist who diagnosed my autoimmune urticaria in 2010 (she moved her practice out of town) and she said the same thing about the MRI contrast versus the CT. She also said to set up an appointment with the radiologist ahead of time to take about possible pre treatment etc. so I will be doing that.

Thanks for your response! I'd appreciate any other feedback. This is making me a nervous wreck!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 02/12/15 at 09:35:20

If it were me I would always start with a non contrast study first and see if it gives the answer. If it doesn't and if you're still having symptoms then can premedicate and take the risk of contrast and get the area imaged with contrast. A lot can still be told without it and ideally for tumours, yes it would be given, but there is a good chance of getting a lot of information without contrast which would avoid the risk entirely. You could talk to the radiologist about this option given your reaction risk.

Good luck

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/12/15 at 12:49:09

Thanks ana~
I did a CT already without contrast. It didn't show anything "big", but the ENT said I'd need to have contrast to look for the kind of tumors that would cause my symptoms.

I am having so much anxiety about this. Thinking about a possible tumor and then having to think about the contrast dye is too much for me. I just want to get it over with. Ugh Undecided

Has anyone else used MRI contrast dye? Any success? Reactions?

If I were to react, could the reaction cause permanent symptoms? Even minus the mast cells disease, having dye injected into the body just doesn't sound ok. Not sure what to do. I wouldn't worry so much of my symptoms didn't line up with tumor symptoms so bad.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/13/15 at 07:06:01

Hi B--It wouldn't cause any permanent symptoms. Drink A LOT of water the day you do it to help flush the dye out of your system. I used to work in radiology. Only 1 person had a reaction during the MRI, and it was more of a seizure issue (reason why MRI was being done).  I know we are all different, so good luck!  --Sarah

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/13/15 at 08:40:27

Thanks Sarah! hearing that helps a lot Wink
I'm really having a hard time. I want to get this MRI out of the way and find out the results. The not knowing is driving me crazy. Between the symptoms of why I need to have the MRI,, and the anxiety that is going along with it, I'm a total basket case. I'm so scared and can't calm my body down. I'm sure my mast cells are going haywire right now too.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 02/13/15 at 08:41:45

I had anaphylaxis to MRI contrast dye--gadolinium. I would start with a non contrast MRI then see if you still need more information after that.

That being said, reactions to gadolinium are rare in general.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 02/13/15 at 10:19:59

Oh no Ana! What happened?
That scares me. But I'm glad you are ok!!! Did you pre-medicate?
I already did a CT without contrast and nothing alarming popped up. I was really happy until the ENT said that the test was practically useless for the things he would be looking for.
This whole thing has me in a tail spin. I'm so scared  Embarrassed but something isn't right with me. I'm having so many horrible symptoms I don't know what to do.
« Last Edit: 02/14/15 at 08:50:04 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/27/15 at 10:34:05

Thanks for the replies Anna and Sarah!

Y'all probably think I'm a total nutcase right about now; but when I'm not going through all this stress, I'm pretty quite normal! (but I do have generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks if you hadn't picked up on that already! Lol) It's just that the constant vertigo/anxiety and fear of the MRI to look for tumors has me in a tailspin. (But Sarah, you have helped ease my mind about the MRI, thank you!) I'm going to pretreat and post-treat with prednisone, 20 mg tomorrow, Sunday, Monday (the day of MRI) and the day after along with an extra Zyrtec a day and Benadryl prior to MRI and day after. I'm just so scared of having a reaction to the ganolidium (contrast dye) This may sound silly, but I cannot wear earrings because of the skin reaction I get to all metals. Does this say anything about how I'm going to react to the dye since it is a metal Huh
I'm just looking for some reassurance I guess. And praying that they don't find anything scary with the MRI. I'm looking forward to putting this behind me. 2 more days!

*** Sunday - took 10 mg prednisone at 7:45 this morning then 10 mg more at 8:45. Felt ok at first, but now, 4 hours after first dose, I'm feeling very shaky, heart is racing, spun out, pacing around. I feel like I'm losing it. My allergist told me to stop taking it if I couldn't tolerate it. I'm not sure I can tolerate this feeling. I'm not taking anymore today. Do you think 10 mg tomorrow and 10 mg morning of MRI would help? or is this too small of a dose? So sorry to keep bothering you all with this  Undecided.
Thank you for reading.

***spoke to on call ENT and he said that prednisone can make you feel weird, especially if you already have anxiety. He said to stop taking it and to just take Benadryl prior to MRI. He said if need be, they can always give me prednisone in an emergency. Does this sound reasonable?
B
« Last Edit: 02/28/15 at 10:10:22 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 03/02/15 at 09:45:46

I did it!!!! Just got done with the MRI! It was not fun, lol, but no allergic reaction from gadolinium and claustrophobia wasn't too bad either!! Whootwhoot! And with very little prednisone!!! If anyone is in need of an MRI and is scared to death of a mast cell reaction from gadolinium like me....I hope you find this thread for some reassurance. Please don't let yourself get so worked up like I did Cheesy

***just got my results, no tumors or lesions!!!!!!   Grin
So now the doctor is saying the vertigo is Ménière's Disease. Anyone else have Ménière's?
« Last Edit: 03/02/15 at 12:52:25 by Britt »  

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 03/04/15 at 08:08:23

Congratulations on a successful MRI!  I'm so glad it went well for you, and hopefully you will feel a little better now Wink

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #12 - 03/05/15 at 07:37:27

so glad you're ok.
Prednisone threw me for a loop the last time I tried to use it for premedication too. Also made me way more reactive. So for minor procedures I've been just doing Benadryl, Zantac, Singulair 12 and 1 hours before, but for major ones I've used oral and IV hydrocortisone which is a different form of steroid closer to what's naturally in our bodies structurally so can give less side effects for some people. I do well with it. Still feel energetic but not more reactive. It has a shorter half life though, so repeat doses are required if you're wanting full 24 hours of coverage.

But I save steroids for when things are really bad as for me they tend to make me flare after and more sensitive overall.

But make sure to go over it all with your doctor like you did, so you can find the best plan for you.

I might have to have a nuclear medicine study soon. The radioactive dyes cause reactions even less commonly than gadolinium, but I'm still concerned as I know they might well be an issue for my immune system.

Take good care and so glad there are no tumours.  Cool

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 03/05/15 at 09:32:04

Thank you ladies! Good to know about the hydrocortisone. It has been such a relief to get it over with and have a clean MRI. Smiley
I'm still dealing with the symptoms that sent me to the MRI though. Bummer.
I have had terrible vertigo - more balance/equalibrium/depth perception issues than spinning. Everything just feels off, especially when I move my head. Since this started, being out in public, especially grocery stores, is very hard for me. This feeling is so disturbing. It's been going on for nearly 3 months now (December 18th). I have been having dizzy spells for the past 3 years, but they were intermittent and quick- like 5 seconds and a 2 minute recovery period. But this is constant. Also my ears, particaurly my left, hurt, like when you dive too deep into cold water, and when I move my jaw, I have this clicking sound. The ENT thinks is likely Ménière's Disease. Does anyone know anything about this?

The vertigo has spiked my anxiety and because everything is "off", I have this very unnerving detached, surreal feeling, like I'm not really here. So weird. Has anyone ever experienced this?  I just want to get back to my version of "normal".  
« Last Edit: 03/06/15 at 05:47:48 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 03/16/15 at 09:51:38

Hello Brit,

Although, most commonly, ear problems can cause dizziness/equilibrium problems, there are other things, too, that might need to be ruled out if they haven't already.  My husband had balance problems from hearing loss.  His EKG was normal in the office, but his doctor had him use a heart monitor to hook up when he was having a dizzy episode. It turned out to be an electrical problem in his heart, and his heart rate was going up to 170 causing dizziness.  He couldn't feel the high rate at all.  An ablation, getting rid of the offending extra nerves, cured him.  Just a thought....

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print