Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coconut Oil (Read 4304 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Coconut Oil
02/09/15 at 01:13:15

Does anyone on this site use Coconut Oil?  I have a "fake" allergy to tree nuts meaning I have never tested positive but always react and have always had itchy mouth to coconuts.  I've read a lot of positive things about coconut oil which I would like to use for alternative beauty (external) products only.  I've also read that coconut oil allergies have never been documented as the protein is in the coconut meat not the oil.  Any thoughts on the usage with MCAS?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Coconut Oil
Reply #1 - 03/16/15 at 09:55:49

Substances/foods can trigger mast cells but not be true "allergies."  They are simply mast cell degranulators.  I would think that there could always be trace proteins in the oil that could trigger you.  People who are allergic to peanuts can't tolerate peanut oil, for example.  If you want to use it, I would suggest first use it topically, e.g., rub it into your upper, inner arm, and then cover it for 48 hours.  If it doesn't get red or itchy, then you could try a small amount between your teeth and your lower lip and see if you react.  If your mouth itches, I'd say not to try it again because over-exposure could lead to more severe symptoms.

Joan

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Coconut Oil
Reply #2 - 03/31/15 at 00:22:42

Thanks Joan.  I strictly want to use it for topical use.  I would love to use it as a cooking oil however don't dare tread in those waters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print