Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In a bad spot- question about contrast dye- very confused and scared:( (Read 4712 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

In a bad spot- question about contrast dye- very confused and scared:(
01/22/15 at 12:40:16

Hello all! Wanted to let you all know this is an old friend under a new user name!
Anyways, I've been in a bad spot the past 8 weeks. Not sure if it's mast cell related, psychological, or if something even more sinister is going on. I'm so scared.

Long story short, I'm not sleeping at all-total insomniac, I have 24 hour vertigo, can't eat, having panic attacks and mental and physical anxeity constantly. Body is stuck in fight or flight. Pins and needles feeling in body. And I feel very detached.  I just can't take it anymore:(

I saw an ENT (ears nose throat) doctor earlier this week regarding the vertigo. He had me do a CT scan of the brain to rule out tumors, aneurysms and the like. Unfortunately as you all know, we shouldn't  use contrast dye. I told the doctor that and he said it wouldn't be a great image, but it's better than nothing.

I called today to get the results and the doctor is gone until Monday. I told the receptionist I was very anxious for the results and could not wait until Monday. She told me that "it looks like everything is normal, but you'll have to wait to hear from the doctor".

I'm just worried that without the contrast dye, we're going to miss something. I want to be happy that she said everything "looks" normal, but I'm just not convinced because of no contrast dyes. I know aneurysms can be very tiny. I am so scared and full of anxiety my body is literally shaking 24 hours a day.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for reading  Smiley
« Last Edit: 01/23/15 at 05:57:37 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: In a bad spot- question about contrast dye- very confused and scared:(
Reply #1 - 01/26/15 at 10:51:10

Hello all. Sorry to keep posting. Just hoping someone will chime in. This is aka "brigitte" Smiley
So I went for a hearing and balance test today and found out I either have labrynthitus or merieners disease Sad I will find out which when I go back to the ENT on Wednesday. The doctor may call me tonight will the definite results.
Does anyone know whether or not these balance disorders have any connection to mast cell disease?
Thanks

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 01/27/15 at 08:10:32

Hi Bridgette!!!

Let me see if I can help you!  What are your meds and how much are you taking of them?

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/28/15 at 08:52:57

Bi Lisa! I'm super sensitive to meds, even the antihistamines, so I'm only on 60 mg Allegra 2x a day, 1
One 10mg Zyrtec and Zantac 150mg 2x a day.

I did find out today that I have labrynthitus. It's an inner ear disorder. It helps knowing what I have now so that I can make sense of it all! I went ahead and did the CT scan without contrast and nothing alarming popped up thank God : Smiley. Apparently labrynthitus is something that waxes and wanes. Just another thing to deal with I guess!  Huh

I was able to email eith Dr. Afrin and he said is it likely due to MCAS since they are both inflammatory disorders.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 01/29/15 at 14:03:52

Oh, Iīm so glad you got some answers!  Thatīs great because with identifying the issue thereīs always hope for a treatment.  

Now, letīs talk about those emotions....

Bridgette, as you already know our MCs are full of receptors for the stress system mediators.  Anything which makes our body think it is being threatened, itīs going to trigger those mediators.  Our body listens to our emotions.  They give the body clues as to what is coming down the pike and when it feels that a threat is present, this is when itīs going to kick in and send those signals to the stress system to trigger the mediators which then, in turn, trigger the MC.

This is why itīs so very essencial that you get your emotions under control, especially when you are reacting.  You must talk yourself down from the reacting, forcing yourself to BE CALM and to BREATH DEEPLY, RELAX and to LET GO instead of tensing up.  All of these instructions, putting MIND over matter, will help you to regain control of the reacting.  

If this is indeed an issue Bridgette, talk with your doctor to see if you can have some kind of medication which will help you to calm down.  This is a helpful tool many of us need to deal with all of the reacting that masto creates.  Anxiety is a masto reaction, it can cause it.  By taking meds which force you to calm down, you help to cut the reacting.  

So, talk with you doctor and see if he can give you some medication - perhaps Doxepin, which is an SSRI and an antihistamine.  Its known to help a lot of masto patients.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print