Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what amount does it take to trigger reaction (Read 4477 times)
Kallie2
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

what amount does it take to trigger reaction
01/22/15 at 11:42:13

What amount of an allergen does it take to trigger an allergic reaction for you?

I used one (1) drop of compounded estriol gel on irritated urethra last night.  I slept all night for the first time in weeks, it was a sedated sleep which I did not want to get up from this a.m.   I have been sluggish all day.  Everytime I sit down I go to sleep.  Is it possible to have a reaction to this small amount of something?  thanks.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Re: what amount does it take to trigger reaction
Reply #1 - 01/23/15 at 04:03:32

I do not know the answer to your exact question concerning the amount of compounded estradiol that it would take to cause a reaction in you, but I have some thoughts.

Minute amounts of peanut butter can cause death in some people.

Airborne pollin is not necessarily easily visible, yet it causes allergic reaction in some individuals. In addition, the barely visible dust particle can cause a reaction.

My logic is telling me that it may not take much.  I can think of three factors that can influence your reaction:  the strength of the offender, your sensitivity to it, any other substance that is in your body along with the offender that can exacerbate or intensify the effect of the original substance.

In your case, it may be the estradiol, what it was compounded with, or another entirely unrelated change in your environment.

IP Logged

Kallie2
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/23/15 at 11:03:57

Thank you, I had forgotten about things like PB.  I have a bad reaction to it when my husband eats it & breathes near me.  Also, if pollen is on someone else I react, doesn't have to be on me.  I am extremely sensitive to hormones.  Sometimes I get overwhelmed by what a small amount of something it takes to makes us sick.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 01/26/15 at 14:03:01

Hi Kallie,

Estrogen is a known MC degranulator because the MC has receptors for it..  I doubt you have an allergy to it.

Too often we, and even our doctors, confuse what is a true IgE mediated allergy versus what is a direct MC driven reaction.  MCs are directly triggered by female hormones - this is normal activity.  Why? because this is what menstruation is all about.  You canīt have the heparin released without the female hormones triggering the MC.  These hormones trigger through the receptors for these hormones.  This is why many masto patients have reactions which get worse at that time of the month.  

Yet what has this to do with peanuts?  

Well, masto patients can indeed have real allergies and itīs worth asking an allergist do a blood panel for IgE antibodies so that you can determine what are true allergies and thsu avoid them.  Also immuno anti-body therapy works to help reduce the sensitivity to those IgE mediated allergies and thus make it harder to react to so many things.  

Kallie I would suggest asking your doctor to speak with Dr. Castells about the hormone issues.  She knows how to deal with this beautifully.  I would also suggest that you send a PM to Starflower because she was put on an elimination diet by Dr. Castells which helped her greatly to the hormonal reacting.  

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/12/15 at 05:47:25

The amount of an allergen that it takes to trigger you will depend on the day (assuming you have a mast cell disorder).  Have you heard the histamine bucket theory yet?  Each day we get a bucket to fill with histamine. Regular IgE allergies add some in, that left over chicken you ate adds some more, did you exercise...add in some more, that time of the month?? add in some more, you get the idea right?   When your bucket gets filled, you flare.  So you may be able to tolerate more or less of an allergen depending on how full your bucket already is.

Latest journal article on hormones by Dr. Castells
Progesterone Autoimmune Dermatitis: Presentation, Diagnosis, Management and Outcomes in 17 Cases

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749%2814%2903083-8/fulltext

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print