Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tick bite induces meat allergy (Read 5628 times)
PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Tick bite induces meat allergy
11/25/14 at 04:40:15

In my never-ending pursuit to my ill-health I came upon this today.

Ticked Off Carnivores
Tick bites likely cause allergy to red meat

http://uvamagazine.org/articles/ticked_off_carnivores

It is certainly eye opening to say the least.  I have been sick all my life, but food allergy sick for 2 1/2 - 3 years.  It seems like I have all the masto issues but highest tryptase was 6 and is now 3 (2 1/2 years of zyrtec).

I never looked at meat as a culprit for my reactions.  I always thought bread or dairy or dyes.  I took Flagyl a month ago for Blastocystis Hominis (Geneva Labs) picked this up on stool sample.  Gastrointerologist re-ran new samples and came up with nothing.  I insisted he treat at least whatever this Blasto thing was and I got Flagyl.  After 4 days of frothing and tossing and turning like I was having an excorcism, I felt re-born.  Perfect in everyway.  No internal tremor, jaw pain, heel pain, food didn't seem to bother me.  

I went back to gastro and pleaded to treat me for parasites, tick, amoebas, anything he wanted to call it, just give me more antibiotics.  He said no.  He listened to me rant for 40 minutes about how sick I've been and that this is the only thing (Flagyl) that made me feel better in all these years.

The rheum. is treating me with Plaquinel for Lupus, but said I don't have lupus.  Huh??? So Plaquinel is for malaria and I'm saying I feel like I have critters living in me so I said to him, what do I have to do to get better?  Go to the Mayo Clinic.  He said, 'maybe".

Anyone else think there MCAD may be Lone Star Tick????

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Tick bite induces meat allergy
Reply #1 - 11/25/14 at 23:57:18

Zyrtec should have minimal to no effect on tryptase. Antihistamines are very weak mast cell stabilizers.

Tick bite induced allergy would also trigger mast cells. Currently that would be called secondary mast cell activation disease.

After taking antibiotics did your symptoms return? Mast cells need some time to refill mediators. Antibiotics trigger mast cells. So it may be, that you got triggered hard and then the mast cells needed some time to refill and you felt better.

Quote:
It is not clear why hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is effective at treating autoimmune diseases. It is believed that hydroxychloroquine interferes with communication of cells in the immune system.

Quote:
http://www.jaci-inpractice.org/article/S2213-2198(14)00098-1/fulltext
The fourth step involves consideration of second-line agents shown to be effective in other disorders of mast cell activation. These may include drugs with efficacy in chronic spontaneous urticaria, such as hydroxychloroquine, dapsone, cyclosporine, and omalizumab.

Does hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) help you?

With MCAD you have to differentiate between idiopathic and secondary mast cell activation.
Autoimmune diseases, allergies, virus infections can trigger mast cells (secondary).
In MCAS there are mast cells which behave differently, they are very easily triggerd and by lots of common substances.
You can investigate it yourself by writing down what triggers you and doing a elimination diet.

Why this mast cells are so easily triggerd is unknown. It may be that there are mutations which are caused by virus infections.
Quote:
http://www.croh-online.com/article/S1040-8428%2814%2900149-8/abstract
Thus until whole genome sequencing becomes routine, the term “undetermined clonality” may be more accurate. The conclusion that MCAS is due to a large extent to mutations in mast cells is strongly supported by the findings of a recent systematic study of familial clustering of MCAS

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Tick bite induces meat allergy
Reply #2 - 11/27/14 at 16:46:40

@Spartako

Plaquenil doesn't seem to be of any benefit.  I'm on 3rd month.  I haven't taken it everyday as prescribed (doctor said it would be 2 months before I would see an improvement).  I'm on it 3 months.

I was reading more tonight and maybe my improvement wasn't from the antibiotic but the Valtrex (for shingles) I was taking them at the same time.  I read people who've had Epstein Barr (I have) benefit from Valtrex.  I don't know how long you have to take it for.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print