Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lidocaine (Read 5309 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Lidocaine
10/20/14 at 09:14:55

Reacted to local anesthetic even with premedication. Anyone else?

The prednisone part of the premedication flared me before even starting so I think that lowered my threshold.  Cheesy

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Lidocaine
Reply #1 - 10/21/14 at 05:10:20

Hi Anaphylaxing,

I react to lidocaine too, and Dr. Afrin told my dentist he wouldn't use any anesthetic on me, if possible.  I just had one filling done without anesthesia and it went fine.  They put some kind of flouride on the gumline of one of my teeth though, and I reacted to that. I accidentally swallowed some of it and couldn't rinse my mouth right away.  I had premedicated with prednisone, Allegra, Zantac, and Benadryl. The prednisone was really kicking in for me at that time too, so I was already having some fast, pounding heart issues.  Next time, I will just take a bigger dose of prednisone the day before, and a smaller dose the morning of my dental work.  I also felt weird when they put the bonding glue on my tooth, even though it didn't touch anything else.  I could taste it.  I hope you are feeling okay.  --Sarah

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 10/22/14 at 22:07:28

Smiley Thanks Sarah. Sorry to hear you react too.

I took Hydrocortisone the day of the reaction and didn't notice as severe symptoms but that day was a bit of a mess. It was also a lower dose than the prednisone. I'm starting to come around now and am off steroids but that reaction was a bit frightening.

I'm wondering if I will premedicate without steroids in future.

I have read about people using Benadryl mixed with saline as local anesthetic. If I really need it I may try that. But it's annoying as local is needed for a lot.

yes all the other materials in dentistry are a big question mark and concern for me too. I have a broken tooth that I am just not fixing and haven't had dental care since getting sick. Eek.  Grin

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/24/14 at 19:26:06

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure there wasn't any preservative in the lidocaine?  My dermatologist had to special order it for me without preservatives.  Lately I've noticed that sometimes the preservative and "other" ingredients are listed separately from the primary ingredient.  I noticed that particularly on bottles of eye drops.  The preservatives were listed on a different side from the ketotifen they listed as the "active" ingredient.

I haven't had a systemic reaction to it, but I do get local itching that can last for some weeks after having lidocaine.  I don't know if it's the mast cells and inflammation causing the itching or if it's the lidocaine.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 10/25/14 at 20:59:37

Thanks Joan. Yes good point. I'm obsessive about such things and they had it brought in and prepared in advance all the brands and ingredients checked. Epi and preservative free, in a glass syringe to avoid plastic. Often the preservative comes with the epi containing locals. Closed with dye free sutures. Very annoying! But I'm lucky they are very meticulous with me, but even with all of that I still reacted.

I've never had such a flare from prednisone before as an aside. But it has been two years since I took it.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print