Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brigitte, Ladybug How Are y'all Doing on Your Xolair? (Read 9390 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Brigitte, Ladybug How Are y'all Doing on Your Xolair?
10/05/14 at 05:28:33

Since my doctor is recommending this for me, I wanted to hear your final opinions.

I have neither hives nor asthma (that I know of), so this would be a challenge, getting insurance to cover it.

At this point, if I can do something to fix myself without the injections, I'd prefer that.  I am scared to take a medicine that can suppress the immune system.

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Brigitte, Ladybug How Are y'all Doing on Your Xolair?
Reply #1 - 10/07/14 at 14:13:26

I just completed my 6th dose of Xolair. I do not have asthma or chronic hives. Yet, my doctor figured out how to get me approved for Xolair pretty quickly for the treatment of my undiagnosed illness complete with mast cell symptoms.

The injections have not caused me any increase in symptoms other than a slight headache.  My insurance is billed $5400 per dose (300 mg/month). The makers of Xolair provide a credit card with $4000 to pay your copays.  After insurance and the card I pay under $30/month.

It has been hard for me to really determine if it has made a difference. I haven't had a flare since dose 2.  But who knows if it is the Xolair or something else. Dr. Afrin told me to complete 6 doses before I decide if it is helping or not. Also that I could always go off for a while and see if I decline. Then I will know if it is working.  I really dont want to be on this drug if it isn't radically changing my life. The new study released last week has convinced me to go off of Xolair for at least a few months. I have to be convinced that it is really helping me to assume the risk, expense, and inconvenience of receiving the monthly injections.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/26/us-roche-xolair-safety-idUSKCN0HL 2EN20140926

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm414911.htm

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 10/08/14 at 01:57:29

I am glad that you gave your opinions.  Thanks. Your link to the Reuters article did not work for me.

When I had seen the part about suppression to the immune system so as to possibly contribute to cancer, it scared me.  I had a cancer diagnosis 43 years ago (thyroid), and I do not feel like being a guinea pig to see if it comes back.

If you are willing to, can you share some of your really bad mast cell symptoms that you were trying to remedy with the Xolair?  I am curious because  I do not have itching, hives or asthma and you said you did not have those either.

One of my major problem right now is my GI tract from top to bottom, seems to be reacting to just about everything I eat.  My bladder is reacting as well. I have interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome  This makes eating a challenge. I have burning and pain from way too many foods to mention.  My immune system is in overdrive. So I definitely need help from somewhere.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/08/14 at 11:31:41

Futurehope,

I don't know about the Xolair, but some of my mast cell friends have told me that juicing helps the GI symptoms.  I don't know what you can eat for fruit or veggies, but apparently the fiber can be a big issue.  I eat my veggies cooked well.  I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.  Are you on the Cromolyn?

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 10/08/14 at 16:51:27

I was given a list of foods supposedly high in histamine to avoid.  Also, I was given another list showing foods that people react to who have "oral allergy syndrome" (OAS).    OAS means that if I am allergic to ragweed pollen (which I am), then I can cross-react to banana, kiwi and a bunch of other stuff I cannot remember right now.

The bottoms line is, I was sent home with these two write-ups of what foods to avoid.....which really has left me high and dry.  There is not really much left that I can eat safely.

For example,  I am supposed to eat only freshly killed meat or chicken. That means that if the animal was not just butchered today right before eating, then it must be in a frozen state.

If meat or poultry is refrigerated, the histamine content rises.   Well....come on.  I am not living on a farm.  Furthermore, I do not eat red meat.  The poultry I get is NOT frozen.  It is refrigerated at the store.

Bottom line is.....it is very stressful to a patient who is suffering to send them home with lists of what to avoid eating to the point of starvation. And I am that stressed out patient.

Every day it is a struggle to get enough calories in me.  I can only eat a certain amount of veggies a day, and they are not calorie-intensive by any stretch.  Since butter and peanut butter and other nut butters bother me, the only thing I can eat to increase calories is Breyer's vanilla ice cream, and Udi's gluten-free blueberry muffins.

I am really not supposed to be eating blueberries or too much sugar, but I can't starve to death.

I would love to know what people juice and whether there is any calories from that?  I usually am no good with intensive protein powders to add to the juice.  So, if anyone knows what foods people juice, I'd love to hear it.  

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/09/14 at 20:54:28

There were not specific symptoms that were targeted by Xolair in my case.  I was doing pretty well for 9 months on allegra and 9 cromolyn, but then I started declining. My overall function got worse and I started having more severe breakthrough symptoms.  After my resting blood pressure hung around 100/40 for a week I headed into my doctor and he said lets try Xolair.  I am a leaker and have lots of things to a minor degree going on all of the time. When I flare everything just gets a lot more annoying and hard to ignore. (burning, itching, dizziness, fatigue, Orthostatic hypotension, some stomach issues, brain fog, inflammation, slow healing, etc...) Overall my body just starts breaking down.  

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/10/14 at 06:40:32

Here is another article that explains things a bit more.

The FDA has announced in late September that it is adding a warning to asthma drug Xolair’s label. The disconcerting warning suggests that Xolair slightly increases the risk of suffering from heart attacks, mini-strokes, and blood clots in the lungs and veins.

Since its approval in 2003, the injectable drug omalizumab has helped thousands of patients over the age of 12 whose asthma is not well-controlled with corticosteroid medications. The drug, better known by the Xolair brand name, is also now approved to treat chronic hives.

In many cases, Xolair has shown life-altering results: sufferers of severe asthma who found stair-climbing challenging became runners, while those suffering from debilitating hives became clear-skinned.

The new warning is based on a five-year study submitted to the FDA by the drug’s manufacturer, Genentech, and 25 clinical trials comparing Xolair to a placebo. This safety study comes with a mix of good and bad news for Xolair users. Apart from the slightly increased risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular problems, the study did find that patients getting the drug injections were no more likely than those not taking Xolair to develop cancer. This contradicts previous clinical trials that have shown higher cancer rates associated with Xolair use. (The FDA cannot rule out the risk of cancer, though.)

The FDA warns that although the studies’ findings are “suggestive of a serious safety signal,” they are “unable to definitively confirm or determine the exact increased level of these risks with Xolair.” It seems the study had execution and design issues that hamper the analysis of its results.

“Several differences at enrolment between the two treatment groups make it difficult to evaluate the higher numbers of subsequent heart and blood vessel problems in the Xolair-treated group,” an FDA press officer explained to Allergic Living.

Xolair works in allergic asthma by neutralizing the IgE antibodies that set off allergic reactions. Currently, it is not approved to treat other allergic conditions.

However, a few leading researchers have been using Xolair in food allergy oral immunotherapy (OIT) trials. It is being used to decrease symptoms, so that patients’ immune systems can more easily begin to accept their trigger foods.

http://allergicliving.com/2014/10/09/fda-adds-warning-for-cardio-risks-to-asthma...

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #7 - 10/10/14 at 11:34:49

Mountain Girl, a big thank you for your response.  It sounds so scary. At my recent allergist visit, he strongly suggested that I would not be approved because I have Medicare as primary and another insurance as secondary.  He said that having Medicare insurance at all, either as a primary or secondary, involves some procedures or rules that I would have to follow even if I have another insurance. And he told me that I would not be approved.

On another note, I am similar to you.  I have many different problems daily.  It is very difficult being this ill without any help.  I can honestly say I feel like I am 110 years old with my problems.  I am not going to hold out hope for the Xolair.  I am trying the best I can to determine how to live my life so as to give myself the least amount of exposure to offending foods and triggers.  Sometimes I think I was born in a time in which this particular problem is not totally understood and that there is no any way to get around that reality.

But thanks a bunch for your input.  I hope the Xolair contributed to a better quality of life for you.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 10/12/14 at 11:33:12

Futurehope,

I was having problems in March--couldn't stop having reactions even eating my safe foods.  I found out my generic Zantac formula was changed from iron oxide red to the blue, red, and yellow food dyes and I didn't know it.  I was reacting to the yellow dye in the medication.  I couldn't believe how sensitive I was to something in such small amounts, but am learning that fillers apparently do REALLY bother me.  Allegra works, not Zyrtec (filler bothers me), brand name Zantac works, etc...  

Also, the juicing can be any vegetable or fruit you tolerate; lettuce, carrots, apples, etc...

I got that low histamine list too.  It helped give me an idea of what I could eat, but I wish I never would have stopped eating some of those foods.  Now I can't add them back in without problems.  I've received several lists from my doctors and have thrown them away.  I eat bananas, mushrooms, and chocolate everyday (without getting symptoms), and those are supposed no-no's.  But if I eat a spice, God help me.  We are all different, and don't starve yourself based on a list.  You have to trust yourself and figure out which things are truly triggering you.  Is it meds?  Food? Cold? Heat? Stress?

I've also found that there are times when I NEED to lay down and rest or I have a lot of POTS-type symptoms, but there are days when I react and I have to move around or I get sicker.  Activity that you tolerate can help burn up the histamine.  Listen to your body if you can, and are you keeping a journal at all?  I really hope you feel better--Sarah

IP Logged

Ladybug2
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 12/26/14 at 12:37:30

Futurehope wrote on 10/05/14 at 05:28:33:
Since my doctor is recommending this for me, I wanted to hear your final opinions.

I have neither hives nor asthma (that I know of), so this would be a challenge, getting insurance to cover it.

At this point, if I can do something to fix myself without the injections, I'd prefer that.  I am scared to take a medicine that can suppress the immune system.

I am Ladybug AND Ladybug2. Evidently there was a problem where I could not log on. Even Deborah couldn't get me back on so she created Ladybug2 for me. Meanwhile, I moved from CA to Georgia and found an immunologist to continue with my Xolair shots.

I'm doing great on them! Dr. Shin, removed my Zyrtec and PPI. I am now taking Xolair, Ketotefin, and Zantac AND a whole lot of supplements. I've been diagnosed with Osteopenia because my body isn't absorbing my calcium supplements. So, I just bought some K2 to take with my calcium. I need to figure out other ways to build up my bones.

My 37 Endo and GI biopsies came back in the mail last week from Dr. Castells and I am confirmed NO mastocytosis. But now I want to figure out what kind of MCAS I have.  Undecided

I'm to receive my 9th set of shots next week. I read a posting where Dr. Afrin said to wait 6 months to see if it's working and another posting that Dr. Castells said 12 months. I will have to ask my immunologist next week about this. Smiley

It's nice to be back. I have a lot of catching up to do!

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and that you will have a better New Year!

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #10 - 12/28/14 at 11:46:38

Hi, Ladybug2.....Nice to have you back. And happy and healthy new year to you.

Are both Dr. Afrin and Dr. Castells taking care of your case?  Just curious.

As of right now, nothing has changed in my condition.  I am sometimes entertaining the thought of seeing Dr. Castells because living with my constant reactions is difficult. Thankfully, I do not wind up hospitalized or close to death because of my reactions, but living my life is a challenge.

If you get a chance, can you tell me what symptoms Xolair has improved for you?  tnx

IP Logged

Ladybug2
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 12/28/14 at 15:55:56

[quote author=6F7C7D7C7B6C6166796C090 link=1412526513/10#10 date=1419810398]Hi, Ladybug2.....Nice to have you back. And happy and healthy new year to you.

Hi Futurehope,

I hope you have a better New Year, too. Dr. Castells is who evaluated my 37 biopsies. If I had vacation time, I would fly up to see her, but it looks like that won't happen for a while. I am caregiver for my 91-year old mother and I use up my vacation days to take care of her needs. Bittersweet time . . . stressful, too.

I am a leaker, not a shocker. Working a stressful job full-time has been a challenge for me. There was a time when I couldn't remember the names of my everyday co-workers. I wouldn't participate in conversations at work because my words came out all wrong. I only spoke on good days so that no one would think I was an idiot. If it was obvious, I blamed it on antihistamines.  Shocked

I suffered from chronic fatigue, brain fog, chronic urticaria, angioedema of the face and vagina, flare-ups of my brain, eyes, teeth, joints, muscles, stomach, intestines, and bladder. I would say I have improvement in all those areas. Zero chronic urticaria and angioedema. Other symptoms occur 50%-75% less. Now if I indulge in the wrong food I will flare up. Red tomatoes are risky for me, but yellow and green tomatoes are safe (I heard this from other people, too). I felt improvement after my very first set of shots. My high energy is in the front-end of the day. I come home and collapse. I cook early in the day on weekends or forget it. I go downhill fast. But at least I have energy to help me work in a job where I am dealing with people from all around the world. I need to be on my toes.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print