Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone else on disability having Medicare issues? (Read 4117 times)
CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you
are living in the present

Maine
Anyone else on disability having Medicare issues?
09/27/14 at 13:53:33

I recently got social security disability for my MCAD after over a two year battle and am becoming Medicare eligible October 1st. I found out that medicare does not cover most of my medications and the costs would be thousands of dollars every month just to continue my treatment regimen. I consulted with Dr. Greenberger at Brigham and Women's in Boston who I see a couple of times a year, and he stated that I would not be able to survive without my medications and suggested I write the Senators regarding Medicare and the lack of coverage. I actually ended up opting out of Medicare Part B and ended up staying with my insurance through the marketplace. Because I am medicare eligible and am choosing to keep my marketplace plan (obamacare), I am losing my tax subsidy so my premiums and deductibles are going way up even though my income has not changed. Does anyone have Medicare? Are they running into the same problem of them not wanting to cover anything? Is there anyone that is medicare eligible but opted to keep their marketplace plan and lost their subsidy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. October 1st is in a few days and I do not know how I will afford these high premiums and deductibles.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Anyone else on disability having Medicare issues?
Reply #1 - 10/06/14 at 20:16:54

I recently had a problem getting a prescription for hydroxyzine approved.  The denial said that it wasn't approved because it wasn't tested for my diagnosis (SM).  My doctor appealed it, saying that other antihistamines had failed to help, and that the hydroxyzine is used for SM.  I plan to get in touch with Medicare to find out what to do to get prior authorization, as well as TMS to see if they've run into these problems and know how to handle them.  We shouldn't be denied or have to fight for our medicines at a reasonable price! Angry

Joan

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you
are living in the present

Maine
Re: Anyone else on disability having Medicare issues?
Reply #2 - 10/07/14 at 12:07:44

Joan, it is so ridiculous that our doctors prescribe something and we still have to fight to get our medications. We obviously need it if our doctors are giving it to us. I am so frustrated with Medicare and Obamacare hasn't been much better, although I am thankful I have it. Something needs to change with this whole healthcare system.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print