Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Duodenum, Ileum, Colon Show Tryptase Positive Cells (Read 8832 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Duodenum, Ileum, Colon Show Tryptase Positive Cells
09/03/14 at 15:46:14

I have constant GI distress of one thing or another such as inflammation, cramps, constipation, reacting to foods, etc..  I saw Dr. Glover in Gainesville, FL.  My biopsies show the above.

I know and understand this stuff a very little, but I am suspecting that if my immunohistochemical stains show the above, I must be displaying some mast cell involvement of my GI tract, right?

Does anyone out there have GI involvement with their mast cell activation disease? Were you successfully treated?  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Duodenum, Ileum, Colon Show Tryptase Positive Cells
Reply #1 - 09/05/14 at 17:16:16

I had positive tests for excessive mast cells in my GI tract following a colonoscopy.  I have confirmed SM, so my tryptase is always high.  My GI doctor said that he finds high numbers of mast cells, confirmed by biopsy, in a lot of patients (over 500 so far, I believe).  He said he gets an 80% cure rate with his regimen for treatment, including Gastrocrom, probiotics, antihistamines, etc.  That number is for people with MCAS, not for SM.  When he finds excess mast cells, he has them stained and checked for signs of SM.

Joan

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 09/06/14 at 09:30:48

Joan,

Do you go to Dr. Philip Miner by any chance?

By the way, when I posted this, I did not include the actual number of tryptase positive cells per high power field (HPF) which was included with each biopsy if found.

The numbers were:

duodenum - 21 per HPF
ileum (in the small bowel) - 34 per HPF
left colon - 39 per HPF

Stomach - mild gastritis
esophagus - nothing mentioned

My numbers do not seem overly high.  I can tell by my daily life that I react to many foods.  I am basically following Dr. Philip Miner's recommendations of avoiding the "seven deadly foods" which contain or release histamine, EXCEPT for wheat.  I am still eating wheat.  Maybe it's time for me to drop that too?

The foods I've been avoiding are: chocolate, orange, beef, pork, tomato, onion   Also, I avoid processed food if possible and I eat organic.

Again, my number per high powered field do not seem too bad.  I really don't know.  My GI tract seems to think that something is always wrong?!

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/08/14 at 15:31:47

Hi Futurehope,

I have high eosinophils in my esophagus and was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  I do have a lot of problems with throat swelling with foods.  No one has tested my biopsies for mast cells, but I'm not sure it would matter in my treatment.  I am seeing Dr. Afrin tomorrow and will ask him about that.  I eat organic wheat and feel like I would have died without it the last 2 winters.  I lose weight with reactions, and homemade cookies (with chocolate chips) are one of the only things I could eat that helped me keep weight on.  We are all so individual with this disease.  What can hurt one of us, can help another.  Do you have "safe" foods you can eat without having a reaction?  Are you on many meds?

I take Zantac and antihistamines, and surprisingly to me, Singulair helps my throat, as does the Zantac.  I also took a swallowed Flovent inhaler and went into remission from my EoE after using the inhaler for 2 months.  I haven't been using the inhaler, and don't notice much of a difference.  I know your mast cells are lower down in your GI tract, but makes sense you would have problems in the lower portion then.  I hope this helps a little Smiley Sarah

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 09/14/14 at 13:27:49

Sarah, I used to see Dr. Afrin until he moved to Minnesota.  Did you find out anything new with your visit to him?

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/22/14 at 11:08:15

Hi futurehope,

He said he wouldn't do any staining on the biopsies at this point because it wouldn't change my treatment at all.  He also feels that I might not have actual EoE, but just the severe angioedema in my throat.  He stressed that he was not a GI doctor and just speculating, but I think I agree.  I can feel the swelling go up and down, and antihistamines help more than the EoE treatment.  I am working on taking the Singulair twice/day now, instead of once, and will try to add quercetin in next.  How have you been doing?   --Sarah

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #6 - 09/23/14 at 11:48:47

Thanks for the update.  Well, I have not seen my mast cell GI doc yet.  The appointment I have is for next Monday.  I can't wait.  This IS a GI doc who understands mast cell involvement.  I'll let you know.

She did an EGD and colonoscopy on me and stained the biopsies to test for tryptase, among other things.  I am guessing this means that my mast cells are reacting in my duodenum, gut and colon since those places showed tryptase.

I learned on the internet that the GI doctor Philip Miner suggests that with mast cell patients 7 foods should be avoided.  I believe they are all high in histamine.  I had already been avoiding 6 of them, chocolate, orange, beef, pork, onion and tomatoes.  I was still eating wheat which is the seventh item he mentioned to avoid.  Since 9/11 I've gone wheat and gluten free.  Not easy.  But I am determined to feel better.  So it's been two weeks for that.

Also, I am wearing 20-30 hg compression hose because I am having some varicosities removed from my legs, and the stockings have helped me feel a lot better.  Blood is getting to my head that didn't get there before, and I feel less spacey and more with it.  I plan to discuss why this is so with my heart doctor.

So, I have nothing new to report to you as of today. Let me know how you do on the additional Singulair.  I take 1 10mg pill each morning.  It causes really vivid interesting dreams in me so I would be afraid to take two in one day.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 10/01/14 at 15:27:57

Futurehope,

I saw Dr. Scot Lewey in Colorado Springs.  I believe he knows Dr. Miner.

Sarah,

This article came in one of the newsletters I get from Dr. Lewey.  If you can't open the link, let me know and I'll try to forward the entire article.

One problem some people have who have been off of many foods for a long time is that their bodies stop producing the enzymes to digest those things.  One example is vegetarians.  They get sick sometimes if they get a meat product because their bodies can no longer digest it.  In order to get back on more foods and to have the body be able to process them, one needs to start back on one food at a time and to start with tiny amounts, e.g., 1/2 tsp. of the food.  Then very slowly increase over a period of time.  

Of course, if someone's getting anaphylaxis from something, that food shouldn't be continued.  But, if it's simply increasing some lesser GI symptoms, it might be worth continuing and see if the body will begin to handle it.  If it would feel better, the bit of food could be mixed with a pint of water.  Cooked food might be easier to try, as cooking can break it down a bit.

Has anyone ever suggested gastrocrom or swallowed steroids for the EE?  I'm not on here a lot lately due to family health issues, so you may have already posted that.  Just wondering if either of those had helped or could.

You may have already gotten this information from this link, but it's a discussion of using specific types of elimination diets and the success a high percent of patients have had with them for eosinophilic esophagitis.  

[ftp]http://www.healio.com/gastroenterology/esophagus/news/online/%7B272cc238-0ed0-4aa5-a999-a7d6062106c9%7D/eoe-patients-achieved-remission-with-four-food-group-elimination-diet?sc_trk=internalsearch/ftp]

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 10/01/14 at 15:41:11

I've been told to keep the quercetin frozen and then it won't be absorbed in the stomach and irritate it so much.

Joan

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 10/03/14 at 06:34:06

Joan,

Thanks for the tip on the quercetin--I didn't know it caused stomach upset.  I'm sorry to hear about your family health issues.  I hope it gets better soon.  I did take Flovent (swallowed) for a while, but don't notice a huge difference when I don't take it.  It makes sense about the enzymes.  I did add carrots back to my diet a month ago and can now increase the amount without problems.  I will have to do the same when I try meat again.  Good luck with everything--Sarah

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print