Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Low Histamine Chef" - Former CNN reporter w/ MCAD (Read 7840 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

"Low Histamine Chef" - Former CNN reporter w/ MCAD
07/16/14 at 06:23:41

Idk if anyone has posted this link.  

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/

I absolutely LOVE this chic the "Low Histamine Chef"!  She's done tons of research and interviews the experts (even if she doesn't fully agree with them.  Her interviews with Dr Jonejas are fabulous!  Have you guys all seen them and they are old news or should I post links for them, etc?

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Re: "Low Histamine Chef" - Former CNN reporter w/ MCAD
Reply #1 - 09/26/14 at 06:15:47

Has anyone purchased and used any of her books or tried her recipes?

I am in the middle of trying to get enough nutrition into me so that I can heal.  Right now, there are many foods (probably ones high in histamine), that set me off, but I cannot starve to death to get healthy.

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/26/14 at 06:33:56

Hello Futurehope,

I don't know if you meant "anyone other than MastoGem" again..  Wink

I just have to say again that they'll helped me immensely.  I have read in "Natural Strategies" that when you blend or juice plant foods your body can absorb up to 90% of the nutrients but when you just chew them - your body can only absorb about 30%!

I don't know about you but MY digestion sucks.  I have some level of MALABSORPTION so I need all the help I can get.  One of the LowHistaminChefs books is mostly blended and juiced recipes.  I have my food intolerances too.  Adding high histamine foods, etc and my list is small so I get it.

In my opinion and experience a Nutrient Dense Diet with some careful supplementation is the way to go.  Good luck!  

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/26/14 at 07:52:52

Hi Futurehope,

I ordered a book, but can't eat several things in her recipes, and there are quite a few things I've never tried.  I eat gluten, so I don't know about the gluten free stuff.  It makes it hard to try her recipes because if you're like me, and can go into anaphylaxis from a bite of a spice, you would never know which item bothered you.  I am working on adding foods individually before I will really be able to use her recipes.  I added carrots back by eating a bite at a time, and now I can eat a whole big carrot.  It takes a long time, so good luck with everything Smiley Sarah

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 09/26/14 at 09:58:22

Mastogem, Sarahkay111,

Thanks for answering.

I want to share one of the experiences I've had that frustrates me.  I bought turnip greens.  I know greens are good for me.  A typical recipe will mention using something containing onions or garlic with the greens.  Well, that is out for me.

The other day, my husband tried cooking the greens with organic chicken stock (Pacific Foods?).  It was yummy.  Trouble is, the chicken stock contained onions.  (What soup doesn't have onions?!) So, I ate the greens but am still recovering from the heartburn it caused.

So, how do you take healthy foods and make them taste good enough to eat?  That is my biggest problem.

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/26/14 at 19:46:07

My mastcells do not only get triggered from histamine but also from egg white, caseine, citrus fruits, most fish, other biogenic amines like that in bananas, alcohol (even pure), salicylic acid, sulfites, glutamates and maybe even oxalates...

Best list I know:
http://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/download/SIGHI-FoodCompatibilityList_HIT(EN).pd...

http://www.failsafediet.com/
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/
http://lowoxalateinfo.com/

I mostly eat white japan rice, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, turkey meat, butter.
Cauliflower, celery, green split peas, whey isolate are also mostly ok.
Wheet gluten is also a problem, spelt is a little better for me.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #6 - 09/27/14 at 03:47:07

Spartako,

I read through the lists.  It seems there are not very many foods "allowed".  How do you keep up ingesting enough calories?  That is a problem for me.

Furthermore, how can I ensure enough nutrients?  I cannot starve to death to feel better.  These are serious questions.  I plan on seeing my GI doctor Monday.  I cannot wait to hear if she has any ideas which I haven't already tried.

Again, I refuse to starve to death to be free of all aches and pains and problems.  That makes no sense.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Greens and re-introducing new foods
Reply #7 - 10/01/14 at 16:26:13

I really like kale, especially the black or dinosaur kale (Lacinato kale is another name for it.)  I always boil greens in a lot of salted water to remove some of the oxalates.  I like to throw a couple of garlic cloves in the water for a few minutes before I add the greens (tough stems removed) which have been cut into about 1" slices.  I cook them until tender, but not falling apart, which varies with the size of the leaves.  Then I put them into cold water to set the color and drain them well.  In a bowl I'll add salt and pepper to taste to the kale and some good extra virgin olive oil.  Our favorite way to eat them is to pile a little on toasted Italian bread and shave a sliver of pecorino Romano cheese on top.  If you can't eat the cheese, a sliver of roasted red pepper or some toasted bread crumbs are also good.  

It seems to be pretty digestible for me.  Kale is the best, but I can also eat swiss chard most of the time, as well as collards, mustard, and other greens except spinach.  

If people can't keep weight on, I'd suggest seeing a nutritionist and asking your mast cell doctor about it.  When introducing or re-introducing foods, start really small, 1/2 tsp. to begin with or even 1/4 tsp. if it's worrisome.  Cooked food is easier to digest than raw food, even though raw food can have more nutrients in some cases.  Yellow vegetables seem to be well-tolerated by most people, such as winter squash and yellow summer squash.  

When trying new foods, you can also mix it a tiny amount into water and introduce a little of the water at a time if your body reacts to even small amounts.  The reacting might be because your body has "forgotten" how to process those foods you haven't had in a while, but it will begin producing the proper enzymes after it's had a little time.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print