Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
which labs do mcad testing (Read 1913 times)
northerndarlene
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

which labs do mcad testing
06/02/14 at 16:18:02

i hear only mayo runs these labs (24hr urine histamines or urine methylhistamines and also a 24hr PGD2 and PGF2 test - prostaglandin D2 and Prostaglandin F2.) is this true? or can any lab run these tests.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Re: which labs do mcad testing
Reply #1 - 06/04/14 at 17:53:25

Brigham and Women's have their own labs that run tests that their doctors order.  

I would imagine other labs could run some of these lab tests with the direction of a mast cell doctor.  (Some need to be kept on ice, tested within a given timeline, kept refrigerated, etc.)

So having a lab that is unfamiliar with how to process specific tests could possibly skew the results.

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Re: which labs do mcad testing
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 22:48:29

Hi Darlene,

I copy and pasted my experience from another section of this board that might help you:

24-Hr Urine testing: I wrote a letter to my allergist asking him to do a 24-hour testing for 11 Beta-Prostaglandin F2 Alpha, Prostaglandins, and N-Methythistamine. His office called that the order was ready! I picked up my order and went to Quest.

Quest visit: They never heard of these tests. However, I was prepared with Mayo Clinic printouts and told them that I needed the 24-hr urine, which would need to be chilled and sent to the Mayo Clinic because they (Quest) did not run tests for these. It was lunchtime and that gal was open about not knowing what to do and asked that she call me later once she gathered all her information to ensure everything is done correctly.

I showed up later and she had printouts for me, returned my original printouts from the Mayo Clinic website, and my pee jug and little collection hat for the toilet, and instructions. I was impressed. I will also buy a cheap suitcase tag to attach to the handle with words "Keep chilled or iced" and will also write that on the container. I will keep it on ice when I bring it to them.

Hopefully, you will be able to get these done soon. I understand how stressful it can be waiting to complete tests as well as for their results.  Let us know how you do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print