Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stabbing pain in middle left back (Read 5741 times)
Kalle
Ex Member

stabbing pain in middle left back
06/01/14 at 10:33:05

Have you ever gotten this kind of pain that you thought might be caused by perfume exposure.?  I had a visitor whose perfume was really getting to me.  I had been fine until this time.  Suddenly while talking to them I felt this stabbing pain in my back & to a lesser degree in my chest.  I do have fibromyalgia & costochrondritis.  This happened a few times & I excused myself & took 1/2 of an Ativan which helped & by the time they left I was better, so far it has not returned.  This is really scarey.   Thanks.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: stabbing pain in middle left back
Reply #1 - 06/02/14 at 05:24:13

Hi Kalle,

I don't get the stabbing pain, but I get dizzy and nauseated after perfume or cologne exposure.  It takes hours for the nausea to go away, and my throat swells too.  I have had chest pain, and pain where it hurts to take a deep breath after exposure to smells.  It is very scary.  I just tell people I'm allergic to perfume now, and I will put on a mask if I have too--not my favorite thing to do.  Make sure you write down what's happening to you so you can find a pattern or connection.  Good luck!  --Sarah

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 18:21:39

Hi Kalle,

I also get stabbing pain.  It's usually from foods and not smells though.  I get nausea and vomiting from perfume, and other strong smells.

Once I added the Ketotifen to my mast cell meds, the stabbing pain stopped completely.

Hope this helps.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kalle
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/14 at 10:20:37

Thanks for replies.  The fragrances make me very ill, always have a migraine & it takes me 2 or 3 days to  recover.  No one listens to me when I ask them not to wear scented products.  I find myself almost having an anxiety attack when I know someone is coming to my home because I know what is ahead.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/11/14 at 17:42:10

It's difficult enough to tell people not to wear scented products, but to  then be ignored!  Of course it causes you anxiety.  I hope you will at some point have the courage to tell someone who arrives at your house with scents on that they have to wash off the perfume or go home and change clothes.  This might sound very harsh, but if someone came to your house brandishing a gun, you would probably ask them to leave the gun outside so that no one would be harmed.  This is similar in that the perfume can cause you great bodily harm.

Of course saying things ahead of time is ideal, but you never know when insensitive people will ignore you, so you might want to be prepared.  It's self-protection.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 06/29/14 at 07:17:43

Hi Kalle!
I also have reactions from things I smell, but let me talk about something else here that is serious. On Jan 26 I had a massive heart attack and barely made it--why? Because it didn't look like what you see on tv. Women look so very different than men with heart problems. I thought I was having a rotator cuff injury for 4 days, until it hit my chest and I KNEW I was in trouble. What you posted, scared me tremendously, that is exactly how I would have described what I felt just before my heart attack. PLEASE, please promise us that if you feel anything like that again, you will call 911 immediately. We need you!
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print