Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tryptase normal what next (Read 6151 times)
Kalle
Ex Member

tryptase normal what next
05/30/14 at 01:51:44

As I suspected since I was not having a reaction, my tryptase levels all normal.  Taking into consideration that I'm dealing with a physician that knows nothing about MCAD, what test would you recommend I ask for next?  Is there a specific blood test that will show mast cells even though I'm not having a severe reaction?   I appreciate your help.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: tryptase normal what next
Reply #1 - 05/30/14 at 06:00:10

Hi Kalle,

A normal tryptase does NOT rule out a mast cell disorder.   This has been well established because there are primary and secondary causes of mast cell disorders and this may be what explains the low trytpase in many of us.  

You can ask for a 24hr urine histamines or urine methylhistamines and also a 24hr PGD2 and PGF2 test - prostaglandin D2 and Prostaglandin F2.   Some other doctors like to also test serum heparine levels, serum serotonin and 5-HIAA which is a urine serotonine teste.  Then there is also Chromogranin A.   These last two are for the carcinoid syndrome but in masto patients they can also be part of the overall picture, so it's good to have those done as well.  

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don΄t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/30/14 at 11:30:53

Regardless of the variant of SM, the release of various pro-inflammatory and/or vasoactive mediators from MCs can cause diverse clinical problems [21, 25–27, 28•, 29•, 30]. The symptoms recorded vary in severity and frequency, and range from mild pruritus or flushing and headache to severe hypotension or even life-threatening anaphylaxis [21, 25–27, 28•, 29•, 30]. In severe cases, tryptase levels increase substantially and an MC activation syndrome (MCAS) is often diagnosed [

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/30/14 at 12:15:54

, MC activation can also manifest as a less severe condition, so that MCAS cannot be diagnosed, even if these patients are suffering from quite a lot of symptoms requiring therapy. In other words, not all mediator-related and clinically relevant symptoms are (can be) classified as MCAS. It should also be mentioned that basophil activation can lead to severe symptoms mimicking MC activation

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/30/14 at 12:29:13

MCAS is a syndrome characterized by severe, episodic, systemic symptoms, with proven involvement of MCs and MC-derived mediators [31, 32••, 51–55]. It is noteworthy that MCAS is not a novel category of mastocytosis, but a clinical syndrome that can develop in any type of mastocytosis and in any kind of patients, and can also disappear even if mastocytosis is still detectable. The diagnosis of MCAS can be established when (a) severe recurrent MC activation, usually in form of anaphylaxis, is found; (b) involvement of MCs can be demonstrated, preferably by a tryptase test (increase in serum tryptase during or shortly after the event); and (c) the symptoms respond to treatment with anti-mediator-type drugs or MC-stabilizing drugs [31, 32••]. The diagnostic elevation of tryptase is defined as at least 20 % of baseline plus absolute 2 ng/mL [32••]. For example, an increase from 10 ng/mL basal to >14 ng/mL at the event is diagnostic

IP Logged

Kalle
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/31/14 at 07:52:52

Thank you all for your replies & info.

IP Logged

mrsmegorium
Rookie

Sickness ain't for sissies
:)
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/25/14 at 19:47:40

http://path.upmc.edu/cases/case366/dx.html

That link includes the major criteria and the minor criteria for diagnosis.  My tryptase is normal but my urine histamine is off.  My son's tryptase is elevated by my other two children have very elevated prostaglandin.  It is different for each of us yet we all share similar symptoms and different severity levels.  The one with the least symptoms actually has the highest prostaglandin levels.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print