Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Great MCAD doctor in Chicago! (Read 6377 times)
LilyBee
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Great MCAD doctor in Chicago!
05/21/14 at 23:21:37

I totally lucked out when I found Dr Tobin! She is an allergist/immunologist at Rush University and has an office both in Chicago and in the suburb of Oak Park. I had done a tom of research and was pretty sure I had a mast cell disorder, so I started looking for a doc who could diagnose it in the Chicago area. You'd think that such a large city would have a lot of options, but no. Anyway, I found Dr Tobin by searching the Rush website. She has a single sentence in her bio that says her areas of research include mastocytosis. I couldn't believe it!

She works in tandem with a nurse practitioner, Susan Fox. They told me in the first visit that they suspected a mast cell disorder and promptly started me on Zantac/Zyrtec and an inhaler. Over the course of the next couple of months, they ran tests to rule out other possibilities, as well as tryptase and Ig levels. Everything came back relatively normal (no surprise), but I am really glad that they are so thorough.

They continue to work with me to tweak meds/try new ones, as well as help me figure out triggers. They are great problem solvers with so much compassion! They even worked to connect me to another masto girl who lives near me so we could support each other.

It can take a while to get in to see Dr Tobin and Susan, but they are worth it!

IP Logged

kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Great MCAD doctor in Chicago!
Reply #1 - 05/22/14 at 03:11:12

I'm really glad you found help and compassion!!  What a great combination!

Kelley

IP Logged

JT
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Great MCAD doctor in Chicago!
Reply #2 - 11/02/15 at 03:14:28

Did they do a bone marrow biopsy to diagnose? I have waited a month to find out my results and come to find out their are no mast cells in my bone marrow? They have ruled out cutaneous and SM. She referred me to a gastrointestinal since my mast cells may be isolated to the stomach? I will try to reach out to her. Thanks Is it possible I may have mast cell activation syndrome??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print