Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FYI Dr. Afrin Will Be Leaving MUSC (Read 16348 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
FYI Dr. Afrin Will Be Leaving MUSC
04/23/14 at 15:07:51

I received a letter stating that Dr. Afrin will be going to Minnesota.  I forget where, but it is not the Mayo Clinic. I think he will be seeing the last patient at MUSC in May of this year?  Not sure of that either, but it is shortly, that he will discontinue his practice at MUSC.

There is no forwarding contact info that he could give out at this time.

I will need to find a new MCAS doctor.  Does Dr. Castells treat MCAS patients?

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: FYI Dr. Afrin Will Be Leaving MUSC
Reply #1 - 04/24/14 at 03:55:06

AUGGHHHH!!!!  I'm currently in Clemson, considering moving here, and I thought how nice it would be to be *only* four hours away from him.  Well, if he's going anywhere near the Twin Cities, that's where my in-laws are, so that would work out too, if I'm ever stable enough to fly again.

Thanks for sharing this, and any updates you get.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 04/24/14 at 12:56:14

I found the letter.  Dr. Afrin took a position with the Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Transplantation at the University of Minnesota (in Minneapolis).  He will be relocating in July.

His last clinic at MUSC is coming up on May 2nd.

His suggestions for other physicians who "might be able to help":'
Dr. Lawrence Schwartz (Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
Dr. Frank Lichtenberger (Statesville, NC)
Dr. Patricia Lugar (Duke Uiversity, Durham, NC)
Dr. Elliot Winton (Emory University, Atlanta, GA)

I am at a loss right now as to where to go.  Many of the things I've tried have not helped my day to day situation. I'm mulling over venturing to Dr. Mariana Castells (Brigham and Women's Hospital). But it would be such a hassle to go there from Orlando (near where I live).

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #3 - 04/25/14 at 06:48:21

Hi Futurehope, I know of a few doctors pretty close to you. I was looking for one for a friend in Florida so I talked to some ladies on a facebook support group.

Quotes from my personal facebook messages with a lady:

"There's Dr. Sami Nallamshetty in Tampa and Wesley Chapel. She's an allergist who studied with Dr. Castells in Boston so is up on mast cell disease. I've seen here once and liked her but haven't continued seeing her as it was too far for me to travel."

"I see Dr. Brett Stanaland in Naples.  His associate is Dr. Ron Purcell.  Both are familiar with MCAD and Mastocytosis."

"They all three consult with Dr. Castells and Dr. Stanaland has consulted with Dr. Afrin for me also.  They aren't experts but know enough to be able to get things going.  They still want to refer to Boston if at all possible though."

Another lady recommended Dr. Sami Nallamshetty to me too but didn't go into any details.

There's also Dr. Glover in Gainesville.

Quote from another lady:
"My GI diagnosed me with the mast cell disorder she specialize in it.. She is at Shands in Gainsville florida. her name is Sarah Glover she is amazing.. very smart and loving person.."

Dr. Glover also has mast cell activation syndrome listed as her clinical interests on her profile and has co-published on it. So I'm thinking she may be the best doctor near you for GI issues from MCAD.

So not up on Dr. Afrin's or Dr. Castells level but may be good enough for many people.

Dr. Sami Nallamshetty:

http://flallergy.com/Meet_your_doctor.html

Dr. Brett Stanaland & Dr. Ron Purcell:

http://www.naplesallergy.com/id1.html

Dr. Sarah Glover:

http://gastroliver.medicine.ufl.edu/about-us/meet-the-team/sarah-glover-do/

Dr. Glover's MCAS co-publication:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346686/

IP Logged

kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/25/14 at 11:57:07

Futurehope,
Yes, Dr. Castells sees MCAS patients.

Kelley

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #5 - 04/26/14 at 13:37:31

Thank you Bruce and Kesasur for your help. It is much appreciated.

Bruce, can you share where your Facebook Support Group?  I may need them. Thank you.

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #6 - 04/26/14 at 15:44:29

The support group is: My Crazy Life With Mast Cell Disorder

https://www.facebook.com/groups/344270359012276/

It was my starting point where a member referred me to some of her friends that are not members there. Was you wanting to talk to patients of those doctors I listed?

Do you know if Dr. Lugar and Dr. Winton are familiar with MCAS?

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #7 - 04/27/14 at 00:48:33

Bruce, those names were given to me on a letter from Dr. Afrin.  If I were interested, I would Google them on the internet to see what their biography says.  I would also call their office.

Personally, I am unfamiliar with any of them other than what people say on this forum.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 04/28/14 at 18:20:53

It might be really helpful to others if anyone who has contact information for any doctor who understands mast cell disorders would post that under the Mast Cell Doctors' topic.

Joan

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 07/15/14 at 09:44:14

Dr. Afrin is open for business at U of Minnesota...and you can get in really quick. No 6 month wait!!!  

He sees patients on Tuesday, Wed, Thursday in the clinic. If you are traveling from out of town plan on staying 3 days.  

Call 612-625-5411 to schedule an appointment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print