HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pollen sensitivity (Read 6428 times)
Kalle
Ex Member

pollen sensitivity
04/01/14 at 10:54:18

How does pollen effect you?   Do you have normal allergy reactions such as sneezing, nasal congestion, sore throat etc?  I usually have post nasal drip, cough, throat clearing if I get outside without mask.  The pollen in the south is very bad now so I'm staying inside but I'm still getting symptoms.  My mouth, nasal passage, & eyes burns, I'm drowsy, sleepy, lethargic.  From past experience I know this is caused from allergies but I wonder if it has anything to do with MCAD. Thanks.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: pollen sensitivity
Reply #1 - 04/02/14 at 11:34:41

Hi Kalle,

I never had seasonal allergies until 2 falls ago.  I got them after MCAD stuff started, and had allergy symptoms for about 2 weeks in September.  I just got a runny nose, thick throat, congestion.  The antihistamines helped.   SmileySarah

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/02/14 at 18:02:47

Some people have both allergies and a mast cell disorder.  Pollens, mold, dust, etc. can also be mast cell degranulation triggers.   If you've been tested as having true IgE allergies, then measures such as encasing your bed and using hypoallergenic detergents, limiting scented products, etc. can help.  There are a number of nasal sprays, both prescription and non-prescription, that might help, too.  Steroids can help, too, if it's really a bad season.  There are foods that cross-react with pollens and other allergens, too, so you might check into those.

Some of us do take immunotherapy shots for severe allergies.  You must take special precautions if you do the injections, such as pre-medicating and staying in the doctor's office for 30 minutes after a shot.  Carrying several epipens is critically important, too, as well as carrying a cell phone in case of a reaction on the way home.  But, if managed carefully, it can help a lot.

Joan

IP Logged

Kalle
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/03/14 at 03:11:13

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/03/14 at 10:30:35

I am allergic to birch which is now blooming very strong here. I have MCAS with elevated tryptase base level (~12) and I never get shocks but long time effects from things like activity, stress, lots of foods which is containing histamine, citrus acid, salicylates and a lot more food triggers. My most disabling symptoms are permanent low to medium muscle pain in every muscle which disturbs my sleep terribly and fatigue/"brain fog".

I take 2x2mg ketotifen, 1x desloratidine, 2x singulair which helps against the common "allergy" symptoms like sneezing, running nose, bronchitis also my diarrhea gets better from diet and ketotifen. But it does only little for brain fog, fatigue and muscle pain.

When I went out on a bright day with lots of pollen I reacted after some minutes with fatigue, I could not concentrate and felt dizzy. I think cause of the antihistamines, I get no general allergic symptoms only the extended mast cell symptoms from the other mast cell mediators.

When I took less antihistamines I more often used Nasonex (mometasone furoate monohydrate) spray against nasal congestion which helped good. Cause of taking singulair I do not need my long term therapy bronchitis spray (Beclometasone dipropionate+Formoterol) anymore.

I also started Allergy Shots (Immunotherapy) some months ago and hope next year I will see first effects from it.

What I do not fully understand is why the local trigger from the pollen so strongly affects all parts of my body. Since I react so fast and obvious to food triggers I thougt my mutated mast cells are concentrated in the digestive system. But as I understand mast cells alert each other and also other immune cells like basophiles to a chain reaction. Mast cells also agglomerate near nerve ends and release mediators to them. The reaction from the brain to this mediators can cause other mast cells to trigger which can cause the strangest reactions like my small rash near the eye after eating triggers or the pruritus on my head.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/18/14 at 20:54:43

Spartako, Have you ever tried any other antihistamines? Desloratadine is one of the milder H1 blockers. Zyrtec, Xyzal, and Allegra are all stronger. I didn't see an H2 blocker among your meds. Have you tried any of those?  Both Zantac and Pepcid can be very effective at reducing systemic and GI symptoms, and are often recommended by mast cell doctors.

Joan

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 16:51:09

I have tried Zyrtec, Xyzal, and Allegra and I could not see a differnce. I stayed with Desloratadine because I read some papers that it may stabilize mast cells a little. I believe that one problem is that histamine can also effect H3 and H4 rezeptors and second that this medications do not get into the brain. Another problem is that Histamine ist just one of many mediators released from mast cells.
I forgot to mention that I also take Ranitidine (Zantac) against high acid.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print