Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
weight gain with food triggers? (Read 6522 times)
Bebop99
Rookie

weight gain with food triggers?
04/01/14 at 10:30:17

Does anyone else get weight gain the next day after eating food triggers the day before?

For example, I've been reacting to Rice Chex. I had some yesterday, felt fuzzy in the head. And today I'm up 2lbs and bloated. (I went back to bed as I wasn't feeling well and in the afternoon, I was back down).
(I am fine with regular rice, brown rice, etc.)

It seems like a lot of ppl lose weight with reactions...I wish I did. I need to lose at least 30 lbs.

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: weight gain with food triggers?
Reply #1 - 04/02/14 at 11:37:25

Hi Bebop,
I know other people have that issue, but I lose weight with reactions.  I lost 3 pounds the other day after having a reaction to smells.  It's weird.  I never had a weight loss problem before all this junk started.  Did you look on the box of Chex to see if there is a preservative?  Maybe organic would be better?  Good luck!   SmileySarah

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/02/14 at 18:05:38

Some people get edema and/or bloating due to reactions from foods.  It's usually recommended to avoid foods that cause reactions of any kind.  Also, sometimes irritation in the stomach can be misconstrued for hunger.  Something to be aware of.  People who say they've gained weight from mast cell issues often lose the extra weight once their symptoms are under control.

Joan

IP Logged

kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/03/14 at 01:45:57

Chex puts BHT in the bag as a preservative.  Some people are sensitive to this chemical.

Kelley

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/03/14 at 11:35:36

After eating food triggers I always get ravenous appetite for sweets which is uncontrollable. I think the mast cell mediators mess with the blood sugar system.
I also feel that ketotifen generally increases my appetite.

Some people loose a lot of weight because of the diarrhea where food is not fully digested but others gain weight because of the increased appetite and less activity because of the fatigue.

I have post-exertional malaise like described in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). I am generally fatigued but if I absolutely rest for two or three days and eat very strict I can go hiking for 4 hours or even running medium speed for 90 minutes (10.5 min/mile or 6.5 min/km). But directly after I get very tired and the next day is totally wasted, I often need 12 hours of sleep, every motion hurts and I need to rest the whole day. The next day is also exhausting but buying food and a short walk are sufferable. On the third day or at least at the fourth I reach my normal fatigued status. In staying active despite the fact it ruins so many days I hope to get fitter, so my tolerance to mast cell mediators and my gerneall energy level rise.
But my only hope is that there will be better medicine in the coming years...

My theory about the getting bloated is:
As defense against rotten food, which normally has very high levels of histamine evolutionary an effect of ultra fast digestion developed. The "poisonous" food gets by fast gut motility from the small intestine to the colon where it can do no harm. There it can lead to diarrhea or if not the colon bacteria starts to decompose it which leads to lot of gases which bloat. Normally the small intestines would extract lots of the water, so this water stays in the body a little longer which leads to increased weight.

I think it is the histamine because people with only histamine intolerance have the exact same gut problems. With MCAS we also have the trouble from much more triggers and the negative effects of other mast cell mediators.

This theory is mostly based on own observations. Any thoughts, particularly giving it more scientific basis are appreciated.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/18/14 at 20:38:01

Doctors would probably say that histamine, regardless of whether it's produced in the body or enters in foods, causes certain responses by the body. Exposure to various triggers can cause mast cells to selectively release mediators which can cause a variety of symptoms in some people.  Some of these can include bloating, fatigue, and any more.

I've been taking turmeric/bromelain capsules for over a year, and it's relieved most of my post-exercise fatigue, something I'd had for 20+ years.

Joan

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 17:18:51

In theory histamine in food should have no effect because it gets inactivated by the amine oxidase enzymes unless too much histamine is eaten. I got my amine oxidase enzymes tested and they are in normal range. But if I eat something with histamine or even other biogenic amines like bananas or pears I get the same feeling like with other triggers (caseine, salicylates, gluten, chocolate, coffee, glutamate, tomato, citric acid, citrus fruits, carrageenan, alcohol, smoke..).
Which leads me to the conclusion that histamine can trigger mast cells.

How much turmeric/bromelain do you take? I found one supplement with 450mg turmeric extract and another with bromelain 360 GDU plus quercetin 500mg.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print