Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Medication that has helped! :) (Read 6447 times)
Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Medication that has helped! :)
03/23/14 at 13:13:21

For the first time in my life I have been suffering terrible with hives and facial swelling.  Always in the past when I was having a flare, it would affect my stomach, but the hives have been a whole new special hell.  Anyway, after 4 months I finally got in to see my mast cell doc and he told me to take Tagamet - that it is an older, "dirtier" medication containing an H1, H2 and H3 blocker and it should help with the hives.  Right now I am taking 1 zyrtec and 1 tagamet in the morning and the same at night.  I can say the hives are 80% percent better.  The Tagamet has really helped.  Just thought I'd share that with you guys.  I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy last week.  waiting on the results.

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Re: Medication that has helped! :)
Reply #1 - 03/23/14 at 16:27:05

Aggie48 wrote on 03/23/14 at 13:13:21:
For the first time in my life I have been suffering terrible with hives and facial swelling.  Always in the past when I was having a flare, it would affect my stomach, but the hives have been a whole new special hell.  Anyway, after 4 months I finally got in to see my mast cell doc and he told me to take Tagamet - that it is an older, "dirtier" medication containing an H1, H2 and H3 blocker and it should help with the hives.  Right now I am taking 1 zyrtec and 1 tagamet in the morning and the same at night.  I can say the hives are 80% percent better.  The Tagamet has really helped.  Just thought I'd share that with you guys.  I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy last week.  waiting on the results.

Hi Aggie,

I sure hope the Tagamet works for you. I, too, just had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. Doc took about 18 biopsies for the special staining. I was told that I should hear something this week. Did your doctor say anything about doing the 24-hour urine test?

IP Logged

Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/24/14 at 11:48:31

No urine test this time.  So far the Tagamet is definately helping!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/25/14 at 07:00:13

So glad to hear the tagament is working!! Gotta love when that happens:) I hope you continue to see improvement!

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/14 at 08:27:05

Aggie48 wrote on 03/24/14 at 11:48:31:
No urine test this time.  So far the Tagamet is definately helping!

Hi Aggie,

That's good news. I would like to learn more about Tagamet. Is there a website that you can recommend that explains it having H1,2,3? Thanks!

IP Logged

Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03/28/14 at 13:31:23

Hello Ladybug!
  Unfortunately I do not have a website with more information.  I will say,  the tagamet has really helped with the hives.  I still have them, but I'm not covered like I was!  Are you experiencing hives too?

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/28/14 at 14:57:42

Aggie48 wrote on 03/28/14 at 13:31:23:
Hello Ladybug!
  Unfortunately I do not have a website with more information.  I will say,  the tagamet has really helped with the hives.  I still have them, but I'm not covered like I was!  Are you experiencing hives too?

Yes, I am having a horrible time, so bad that I had to call in sick from work Wednesday.  Sad  Wheals all over my thighs and buttocks and spot hives on my face, right arm and hand.

I've been doing pretty well with ketotifen, H1/H2. But something must hvae triggered me. My doctor had me start 81 mg aspirin a few days before and also to go off my low histamine diet. I also started taking Benedryl. We don't know which of the 3 triggered this. I stopped all 3 changes. Once I stabilize, I will reintroduce aspirin to see what happens.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print