Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to forum...have question regarding lymph nodes (Read 3831 times)
k2of5ks
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

New to forum...have question regarding lymph nodes
02/25/14 at 04:08:20

Hi all!  I’m new to this forum, but not to the world of masto :^)  First spots appeared 22 years ago (with about 4 years of worsening spots/symptoms till diagnosis of UP (clinical diagnosis of SM followed 3 years later).  Just like a lot of people with mast cell disease, I’ve had challenges finding (local (Phoenix)) docs that can (or want to) help.   I recently switched insurance plans that enable me to be seen at MD Anderson.  My first appointment is this week, and I’m doing a mad dash to update my core/basic knowledge of SM (which is severely lacking for the past several years).  I’m sure I’ll be put through a BMB awa lymph biopsy and blood tests to determine exactly where I fall in the masto spectrum.  My biggest question today is...have any of you had surgery to remove perpetually swollen lymph nodes?  Or, manual manipulation of lymph nodes to help drain?  I’ve had swollen nodes in an armpit for two years (two ultrasounds—no cancer.)  Unfortunately, they’ve progressed to the point of unrelenting ache/pain (not just annoying occasional ache).  The idea of any type of massage freaks me out (given a week-long flare from a massage 15 years ago…didn’t know it was a no-no in our world back then), but the idea of surgery to remove them is equally unappealing :^)   Like anyone with lymph involvement, I have pain at lymph locations on a regular basis and have learned to just ‘live with it’…but wonder if MLD (manual lymph drainage) might be an option at this point.
Any input would be sincerely appreciated :^)  Thank you!  Kimi

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: New to forum...have question regarding lymph nodes
Reply #1 - 03/02/14 at 01:36:27

Persistent swelling in my lymph nodes was one of my first signals that something was really wrong.  I had one in my neck that was around 3cm by the time I had it removed.  The biopsy said it was benign, but the ENT wanted to be sure.  Me too.  I have another (smaller) lump on the other side of my neck, but it hasn't really grown since I was able to get my mast cell symptoms under control.  I remember reading somewhere that chronic swelling can cause scar tissue to form.  It's not dangerous, but like you observed it's also not very comfortable!  When I flare the nodes in my neck and armpits swell dramatically for a few days.

Incidentally... although it's possible to stain a lymph node biopsy for mast cells, pathologists won't think to do it unless you ask.  A bone marrow biopsy is the gold standard for diagnosing SM, but I wouldn't do it unless your tryptase is really high (in the 100s) or you have some other accompanying blood disorder that would be helpful to diagnose and/or monitor.  Treatment for mast cell disorders is based on symptoms, not tests.  Most doctors are not accustomed to working that way, but for people like us it's vital!

You're smart to educate yourself  Cool  Welcome to the group.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print