Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New, having problems with ketotifen (Read 3967 times)
SnowBird
Rookie

I Love Ice Dancing!
Arizona and Michigan
New, having problems with ketotifen
02/07/14 at 11:48:26

Hi, not new to MCAS but new to the diagnosis. Have had this for over twenty years, but diagnosed as fibromyalgia. MCAS diagnosis fits much better. Started on ketotifen and it worked great for two weeks, then a very itchy swollen rash spread from the top of my hands and ankles up my arms and calf. It was particularly bad in the skin that was inflamed during an allergic reaction to sulfa twenty years ago. Had to stop the ketotifen. My physician thinks it is an allergy to a filler in the ketotifen, but food and fillers have never been a problem before. Most of my bad reactions have been to drugs. Right now my skin is rough, like alligator skin. Checked on another forum and someone said they had to go up slowly using liquid ketotifen, going up one drop at a time. Has anyone else had this type of problem with ketotifen?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: New, having problems with ketotifen
Reply #1 - 03/02/14 at 01:47:50

It sounds like you might want to try cromolyn sodium instead... or get your ketotifen compounded so you know exactly what the filler is.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with you think you're having a reaction to.  You know your body best.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print