Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A little bit about me (Read 3513 times)
Terry55
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

A little bit about me
01/31/14 at 15:32:27

Hello, I am trying to find out what is really wrong with me.  A friend of mine suggested that I might have MCAS.  But I truly don't know much about the disease.  I seem to have bounced from one disease/disorder to the next.  It can become extremely disheartening but I do try and stay upbeat.  I have suffered from pain and fatigue for a long time.   I began to think it was just me and that was the way it was going to be for me for the rest of my life.  I soon became too disabled to work, but I took care of my family and for that I am very proud.  I don't want that to sound vain or anything.  It is just that after a while it seems that all of the diagnosis begin to define you and your accomplishments begin to pale.  Raising three kids as a single mom was and is my proudest accomplishment.

Almost 5 years ago, I was finally diagnosed with Dercum's Disease and Lipedema.  It appears there is a strong correlation between that disease and MCAS.  I started getting treatment for Dercum's, and although not curable, I at least was trying to control the symptoms of pain and fatigue.  Fast forward to a year and a half ago where I suffered and withstood a horrendous pest infestation.  I was bitten all over and basically parasitized for a few months before I could get a handle on it and eradicate them.  Unfortunately, these little blood suckers managed to give me, my son, even my dog Lyme disease and Bartonella.  Okay, just one more hurdle.  

I finally moved a couple of times and left the infestation behind and began treatment for Lyme disease.  That, on top of the Dercum's Disease has made life just that much more challenging.  But I refused to let that stop me.  So I moved out to a little place in the country with the hopes of having an organic vegetable farm and possibly rescue a horse or two.

Now, I am faced with "something" else,  "something" new.  I am going into be tested for MCAS in a couple of days.  I don't know if having it is a good thing or bad thing.  Like many people, sometimes knowing what it is that you have is a good thing, but in truth it is a mixed bag.

My skin, which has always been super sensitive (if I just stand down wind from poison oak it will spread through my body like wildfire) has never been my friend.  Now, I feel tiny little bites but I never see anything.  I don't know if I am facing a new pest infestation, or if this could be some kind of systemic effect.  I think sometimes I can get one tiny little bite and I feel itchy all over my body.  I hope that this is what is happening because that would be better than having to deal with some kind of new pest infestation.  So I am worried.

I was wondering if anybody here has ever felt like they were being bitten by a bug, or feel constantly itchy.  And if so, what they have been able to do about it.  

I hope that tells you a bit about me.  I will try and write a bit more later on...just kind of tired due to the constant lack of sleep.  I really struggle with insomnia.

Best to all of you and thanks for letting me join.

Terry

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: A little bit about me
Reply #1 - 02/05/14 at 01:35:53

Terry,

Wow..you have been through some tough times. Welcome to the group.  I know things will turn out well for you because you seem very upbeat and are obviously a fighter.  

Be aware that diagnosing mast cell diseases is very hard.  You say that you are going to be tested in a few days. I hope you get the answers you are looking for, but don't be surprised if it just leads to more testing and more questions. You have already been through so much and are probably very aware and realistic as to how long it takes to get answers when you have a "unique" problem.  

Have you taken any histamine blockers?  I am not talking about taking benedryl when you are itchy once in a while, but taking allegra/zrytec/singular/etc...on a regular basis?  Everyone with a mast cell issue takes H1 blockers daily.  My body itches all of the time. If I go off the H1 blockers it gets really bad.  

Good luck to you. Let us know how things go!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print