Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Antihistamines (Read 5511 times)
diamorrow
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Antihistamines
01/28/14 at 10:54:17

I have been taking Zyrtec but am waking up with "medicine head" and groggy most of the day...is there any difference in the way the different ones work or is any one OK?? I am thinking about switching to Allegra. It is a times release pill so maybe toe groggy will go away..
Thanks

IP Logged

kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Antihistamines
Reply #1 - 01/28/14 at 11:14:12

I think we learned in one of Joan's posts Allegra is not time released... but I take it 2x/day regularly (more as needed) and it does not make me tired.
I tred generic zyrtec- wow. I was zonked. Could have been the generic though... I think, however, many have said they adjusted.  I just had a day last week where I took 4 allegra and 4 bendaryl over the course of the day (1 Benadryl used to put me to sleep for hours) and somehow managed to get through the day and still teach my children. Not really sure how that worked, I'm guess I adjusted- and a short nap or 2 helped.   Wink

If the fatigue is too much do try the Allegra if you think the fillers aren't a problem.

Kelley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/28/14 at 12:16:23

It is worth trying different H1s.  There are many to choose from:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1_antagonist

Personally, when I tried Allegra it gave me headaches (which is a rare, but known side effect).  Zyrtec makes me too alert if I take it at night, so I take Benadryl instead.  And oddly... Benadryl doesn't make me sleepy, but it's fantastic for getting rid or nausea or a headache.  It's my favorite H1.  I would even give hydroxyzine another try (for bedtime) if I had a Rx.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/28/14 at 15:25:47

Thanks for the advice Heather! I have been very stuck lately. I think it may be time to try another H1. Maybe I'll buy the dye free Benadryl and switch it with an Allegra for a few days and see what happens. Benadryl doesn't make me sleepy either:)  (and Zyrtec makes me zippy too!!)

IP Logged

diamorrow
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/28/14 at 16:36:29

Thanks for the advice everyone..
Benedryl puts me to asleep and Zyrtec gave me foggie head...took one Allegra tonight and so far so good...hope I can sleep but I am not groggy like with the Zyrtec....want to feel normal..or whatever that was.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/29/14 at 06:24:16

Holy smokes! I just went to the wiki link heather posted. I had no idea there were so many h1, h2 and h3 antihistamines! Having only tried Visoril (hydroxyzine I think), Allegra, Zyrtec, Claritin and Benadryl, does this mean the option is there to try the others for better response? Has anyone had better luck with any of the less common antihistamines?
Honestly I had no idea there were so many! I'm kind of excited! But where to start???

IP Logged

diamorrow
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/29/14 at 06:31:48

I would like to know that too.
Allegra gave me a headache and kept me awake last night so that is off the list. Benedryl and Zyrtec give me medicine head..
Any others that might be a good option???

IP Logged

Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 01/29/14 at 10:56:52

Has anyone ever used Xyzal?
I was reading an article by a man who had suffered from hives for two years and this was the one antihistamine that helped him. He took the Xyzal and 2000 mg of vitamin C and his hives are gone! Smiley

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/30/14 at 04:09:37

me!!!  I have taken Xzyal for over 2 years...with no problems
but I have found that if for some reason that I miss it for 2 or 3 days my itching starts.. I take it at night
redbird

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 01/30/14 at 12:24:30

Has anyone tried plaquenil? It's an anti malaria drug and used for lupus, RA and I guess autoimmune urticaria. It's an immunosuppressant.
I have a script for it, but I'm afraid to try it. It just sounds scary. I'm holding off to see if he get get the Xolair approved. But if anyone has used planquenil, I'd be very interested in hearing your experience!
Sorry~ I should have put this under a different thread since we're talking about antihistamines.
As far as the Zxyal, I just googled it and read that it is similar to Zyrtec. Is this true? Or would it be worth trying as an alternative to Zyrtec?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 01/30/14 at 13:16:07

Chemistry nerd moment...

Xyzal is a derivative of Zyrtec, which is actually a mixture of two mirror-image molecules.  Only one of the molecules works as an antihistamine.  To get Xyzal, the ineffective half is filtered out... which why you only need 5mg for a dose of Xyzal compared to 10mg of Zyrtec.

Now... if someone is extremely sensitive to medications and desperate for an H1 antihistamine (which would be unusual, but not impossible, given the large number of H1s in existence)... then it might be worthwhile to take Xyzal.  Everyone else should save their money and stick with Zyrtec.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 01/30/14 at 13:49:32

Interesting! I think I may be one of "those" who is sensitive to inert ingredients. Maybe I'll give it a try. I have yet to find a vitamin d supplement I can take Angry
So right now I'm takin a 60 mg Allegra in the am (180's give me headaches, 60's probably do too) 10 mg Zyrtec and 150 Zantac. I then take another Zyrtec late afternoon and another Zantac pm.
I know this is a big question, and maybe too much to ask, but can anyone give me another possible regiment? I'm still really struggling Cry

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 02/20/14 at 02:10:01

diamorrow,
I also got a headache when I started Allegra for the first 3 days.  I kept taking it--I started with 1/2 tab daily, and after a few days, I was able to take the whole tab without getting a headache.  I take it in the morning.  Now, I don't notice any side effects, and it does help me a lot.  It's easy to not want to take something again, but I've found if I try it for at least 3 days (if the side effects are mild), it usually gets better.  Good luck!  Sarah

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print