Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newly diagnosed w/MCAS (Read 6015 times)
Ladybug
Ex Member

Newly diagnosed w/MCAS
01/26/14 at 14:55:08

Hello all,

I suffered with Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema for two years. I have recently been diagnosed w/MCAS.

Twice a day, I take one Ketotefin pill (H1), one Zyrtec (H2), and 300 mg Zantac. This has been working for me pretty.

This all started when I received a flu shot two years ago. I do not know if the flu shot triggered all this, but I developed huge welts after that shot along with angioedema.

I hope to learn as much as possible so that I may help others along the way.

Thank you all in advance for your support. I am so sorry that you have to be here.  Sad

IP Logged

Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Newly diagnosed w/MCAS
Reply #1 - 01/27/14 at 13:23:53

Welcome to this message board! I hope you find the information as useful as I have! I was diagnosed with MCAD in 2009 and have been managing pretty well.  All my symptoms in the past presented as stomach issues.  I recently started going through menapause and for the first time in my life I have hives and angiodema of the face - mainly my lips.  I have been covered with hives for about 3 months now and it is driving me crazy.  I am currently talking Zyrtec, Zantac and Vistaril.  I've also just started hormone therapy hoping that will help.  I hope your hives resolve and that you remain symptom free!  God Bless!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/28/14 at 04:08:19

I don't mean to interrupt Ladybug's thread (welcome Ladybug!), but Aggie... are you using any supplements to deal with menopause?  The hormonal changes alone could be enough to cause your symptoms, but your posts have made me wonder...

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Aggie48
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/29/14 at 05:25:35

hello Heather!
    My doc just started me on estrogel, progesterone and DHEA.  I'm hoping it will help.  Im nervous about the progesterone - I've  tried to take it in the past and it made me mean!!! Angry  I hope it doesn't affect me like that again - as does my hubby! LOL Cheesy

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/05/14 at 01:39:40

Aggie....have you asked your immunologist/dermatologist about getting on Xolair for the hives?  It is in stage 4 trials, about to be approved for the treatment of chronic hives.

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/05/14 at 01:44:46

Ladybug,

Welcome to the forum.  I have learned so much from everyone here. It is so helpful to know that you are not alone in your struggles.  

I was also triggered by a drug being put into my body.  And like you, I have found a combination of drug therapies that keep me functioning very well.  It took a year for me to recover from the major 'flare' that changed my life.  Now I just try to read as much as I can about mast cell disorders, stay healthy and avoid excessive stress.  

I have read about other patients who were triggered by a flu shot, small pox shot, chemical exposure, and steroids.

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/08/14 at 07:02:04

Thanks for the welcome, all.

I am a bit anxious about my first GI visit this Monday. I have a list of my problems (including indigestion) along with MCAS diagnosis. I sure hope he will do an endoscopy and colonoscopy and do the right tests for mast cells and whatever else they could/should do.  Roll Eyes

The following week, I see a dermatologist. I have three different growths on my skin doing their won thing to be looked at and/or biopsied. The one on my back was bleeding. My allergist called it a lesion, but I think I scratched it open. I am anxious about both of these tests.   Cheesy

I am also trying to find out about H3 and its relationship to weight gain when out of balance with the other H's due to blockers, etc.

You are all remarkable!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print