Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vegetable oils as a trigger? (Read 7395 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Vegetable oils as a trigger?
01/18/14 at 13:13:28

Hi all! So for the past year I have been paying close attention to food triggers (prior to that I was only aware of fragrances, lotions, laundry detergents etc)
I feel very confident now to say that all vegetable oils are a major trigger for me (safflower, olive, avocado, coconut etc)
I was wondering if any of you have come to this same conclusion.
Whenever I eat something with oil in it, I can feel it coating my tongue. Then Within a day or two I have painful sores on my tongue. Then I feel ill for several days with all the "symptoms".
My tongue seems to be the precursor to an episode. Does this happen to anyone? Can anyone relate to this? Or I'm a just weird? Lol
I also cannot tolerate any lotions and things like it that contain vegetable oils. Even glycerin.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with a salicylate sensitivity or intolerance. I know I'm not technically allergic to oils as my IeG levels are normal (from what I understand from my allergist,  normal IeG means you do not have typical "allergies". But I could be wrong on this Huh)
« Last Edit: 01/18/14 at 17:42:41 by Britt »  

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Vegetable oils as a trigger?
Reply #1 - 03/15/14 at 08:54:57

same.  The doctors are out of their freaking minds when it comes to helping us.  My tongue gets sores for random foods my whole life.  I can eat pizza at one place no sores, following week eat pizza somewhere else and get sores all over.  I took an antibiotic once and it screwed my tongue up good and I went right back to the doc who prescribed it and he told me to stick out my tongue which I did.  He stuck his out back at me and said see mine looks the same.  Are you kidding me?  I came here because I'm having an allergic reaction and you're telling me I'm not?  Are you freaking nuts??????    The vegetable oil may be the brand or just that it's got "vegetable" in it.  I'm scared of healthy fruits and vegetable myself.  Never know when I'll get sick cause of the oral allergy syndrome phenomenon I have in addition to mast cell disease.

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/15/14 at 11:48:14

Britt wrote on 01/18/14 at 13:13:28:
Hi all! So for the past year I have been paying close attention to food triggers (prior to that I was only aware of fragrances, lotions, laundry detergents etc)
I feel very confident now to say that all vegetable oils are a major trigger for me (safflower, olive, avocado, coconut etc)
I was wondering if any of you have come to this same conclusion.
Whenever I eat something with oil in it, I can feel it coating my tongue. Then Within a day or two I have painful sores on my tongue. Then I feel ill for several days with all the "symptoms".
My tongue seems to be the precursor to an episode. Does this happen to anyone? Can anyone relate to this? Or I'm a just weird? Lol
I also cannot tolerate any lotions and things like it that contain vegetable oils. Even glycerin.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with a salicylate sensitivity or intolerance. I know I'm not technically allergic to oils as my IeG levels are normal (from what I understand from my allergist,  normal IeG means you do not have typical "allergies". But I could be wrong on this Huh)

Brigette, my allergist told me the same thing. I see him next Friday and have that listed in my notes to ask him about mast cell "triggers." I'll try to remember to post back here what he says. Maybe someone else has input as well.  Undecided

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/17/14 at 06:07:34

I react to pretty much all oils except for sunflower.  Not with sores on my tongue (though I do get mouth sores from milk), but with general, all-over mast cell symptoms.  I am very sensitive to salicylates, so I'm thinking that's the common underlying culprit for me.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/18/14 at 08:34:23

Me too!!! I have definitely boiled my main triggers down to all fragrances (synthetic and natural) except vanilla, and all vegetable oils, including glycerin. I THINK, jury is still out, that I might be ok with peanut oil. Cottonseed oil is one of the worst for me.
I have found that soy and soy lethicin get me, and anything thing that says triglycerides or mono and dyglycerides.
Soy is in everything! I'm just now starting to avoid it. We'll see what happens!
Oh, and I seem to have problems with carrenagean (sp?) it's a fat that comes from a seaweed. It's used to make certain consistencies in foods like yogurt, ice cream and A LOT of other stuff.
it's really not good for anyone. It been proven to cause inflammation. Hmmmmmm...... And yes, I get all the mast cell symptoms from the oils. It's that my tongue is the usually the first thing that tells me what I'm in for!!😁😁😁
Y'all please keep me updated!!! I'd love to hear more about your discoveries!
« Last Edit: 03/18/14 at 12:20:50 by Britt »  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/13/14 at 19:00:16

Just wanted to bring up the vegetable/plant oil trigger again.
A couple people replied that they too triggered from oils. Does anyone else?
As I said in my first post, I also have issues with glycerin. But I have found another huge trigger for me.. Medium chain triglycerides/triglycerides/Mono and dyglycerides.
Can anyone else relate?

IP Logged

Spartako
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/14/14 at 19:01:45

You mean that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
Seems to be a pretty basic substance.
How did you test this? Couldn't it be something else like salicylates? Medium chain triglycerides is mostly in coconut and palmoil which are also very high in salicylates.
Diglyceride, Monoglyceride, Triglyceride are basicly most fats. I have no idea how anyone would avoid this or make a provocation test if there are no pure forms available. But my chemical skills are limited...

Carrageenan is very high in salicylates and is used in more and more food products as thickener.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan#Food_and_other_domestic_uses
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1387

I also cannot tolerate oliveoil because of salicylates.
Sunflower oil and safflower oil seems okay but is not very healthy, it also lacks omega3-fatty acids. I now use clarified butter to roast my turkey meat. I seems butter has not the bad fat as it was thought the past years but is even healthy.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/15/14 at 08:22:33

Yup. Glycerol/glycerin. All the "stuff" I mentioned I mean coming from a plant source versus and animal source which seems to be fine with me.
Coconut (which is pooping up in everything these days, as of a couple months ago, my rapid release liquid Advil reformulated from using mineral oil to coconut oil) in all it's various forms is a big no no for me, whether it be in food or personal care products.
Carrageen is also a big no no for me. I pinned that one down after various attempts including yogurt, whipping cream and ice cream.
I obviously have a problem with sals Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print