Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feeling dumb (Read 4258 times)
Bebop99
Rookie

Feeling dumb
12/18/13 at 14:24:31

Anyone else forgetting what they read?  I know brain fog is common with this disorder.
I've recently been reading up on new meds to try as I'm only on antihistamines right now. It helps but I need something more. Somehow I mistook Singulair as a mast cell stabilizer and to make a long story short, told a doctor it was, to which they disagreed (obviously). I traced my steps and I had read some information stating it was not, although I did read that info quickly. I even had googled "singular mast cell stabilizer", but I guess I just assumed since the words showed up together that it was one. All I had to do was read the first post that showed up...not sure why I didn't do that.
I know I'm being hard on myself, but I feel like I shouldn't be making dumb mistakes like that.

Oh, another example...I went to the movies last weekend and had to use the washroom. In all the years, I've never gone to the washroom mid-way. Anyway, I couldn't find how to exit! And it was not difficult...same way I came in.  I saw the red exit sign so went through that...well that was the exit to the parking lot! So then I had to walk back, and walked through the other exit! but at least I didn't open the door the second time. Meanwhile, everyone in the theater can see me doing this haha but I know they were probably paying more attention to the movie and it was dark so no one should recognize me lol.

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Feeling dumb
Reply #1 - 01/01/14 at 13:57:24

Bebop,

I get terrible brain fog.   And, one of the signs to me that I have been past my (very low level) limits is how forgetful I get.  

I had a Dr. who specializes in Chronic Fatigue tell me that ALL her patients worry they have Alzheimers.   And that their memories get better when the other symptoms get better.  (I also have Chronic Fatigue.)   My memory improves after I rest up a lot.   Resting also can help with my masto reactions.

BlueSkies

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Re: Feeling dumb
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 19:30:21

Ahhh  Bebop,

No need to feel dumb.  You are in good company.  Believe me, the way we have to advocate for ourselves, we will most likely all receive medical degrees some day!!

I get lost all of the time.  I can't remember where I have been or where I am going.  I do have better instant recall now that I am on more meds, but the fog comes as soon as I do too much.

I feel I am a well educated person who has raised two great children, and guess what?  One morning I went out on the porch to put on my tennis shoes and when I crossed the laces I honestly didn't know what to do next.   The tears started so I called my husband.  He promptly came over by me and sat down.  He untied his laces and showed me step by step how to tie my shoes.  

Well....you and I both know that that shouldn't happen to any one who has tied their shoes a thousand times over their lifetime.  But these are the things that happen to us when we are in a reactive state.  So, don't be hard on yourself. You didn't decide to get this disease! Chin up, ok?

You are sooo right Blueskies, REST and SLEEP are two of my favorite meds. They work just like meds we take to calm our mast cells down.  And once they settle down, our reasoning skills and thought processes improve too!  

Take care and keep on reading....you will eventually be able to recall everything you need, just when you need it! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print