Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Binging on trigger foods? (Read 6277 times)
Bebop99
Rookie

Binging on trigger foods?
11/27/13 at 14:46:20

Hi all,
My first post!  I am waiting for my testing to come back, but I have a mast cell disorder as anti-histamines do help somewhat. I will get further meds when I have a diagnosis.

Anyway, I react to many foods except lamb with bloating, major fatigue, thirst, etc and weight gain/fluid retention the next day. The fluid weight gain is the most for high amine, high salicylate foods, which makes sense as these chemicals are triggers. For now, I am on high-doses of anti-histamines and prednisone to control the sx. They help with headaches and fatigue, but not so much the fluid retention. The prednisone actually seems to reduce my appetite.

The issue I am facing is that I crave these foods like crack. I have battled this for YEARS (way before the pred). I can demolish a whole jar of nut butter in one sitting. Embarrassed I crave chocolate (my worst culprit) almost to tears. I can never just have 1 cookie...It's the whole package! Unfortunately this results in feeling like crap, congested/stuffed up the next day, being bloated and up 3-6lbs! This also happens for the healthier high amine foods like kale.

Does anyone else have these symptoms?

Thanks

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Binging on trigger foods?
Reply #1 - 12/02/13 at 09:48:30

I get real bad cravings for things I shouldn't. Even when I eat a big plate of foods I'm allowed, the sweet cravings will kick in after.

These cravings only happen when I have eaten something I shouldn't have in the previous 24 - 48 hours. I even had a memory foam mattress that came packaged in chemicals that triggered these strong cravings.

I know it's a symptom and I try to ignore it, but it's real hard. However, I think of my goals, think of the pain of being irritable and I can usually win. But no always.

My advice would be to live on your own until you have learned to beat the cravings, but that may not be practical or may not be something you feel comfortable doing. If it's not then it's probably not a good idea, but that's what worked for me.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/03/13 at 04:27:41

I can sympathize with this.  I've heard before that, for some people, certain foods can literally be as addictive as crack cocaine.  A Dr. Theron Randolph (who has a small Wikipedia page) described his observations amongst such patients as "The Allergy/Addiction Cycle".  I believe he was a good scientist, and careful observer.

For my part, a 12 day supervised fast was the first key to breaking my food addictions.   The next key was to identify 'trigger foods'.   As long as I stay 'clean and sober', to use a metaphor, then my food cravings virtually don't exist.    The next thing is to recognize when you are beginning to go off the rails, and what that feels like.   Then you can sense when 'something' is wrong, and you need to clean up your act, or identify what the trigger is (even inhaled chemicals, as noted).  

I think medications (like antihistamines) can play a positive role in all this, as they can dampen reactions.  

How this information helps, I am uncertain.   I made myself pretty sick several times trying to fast at home, and failing by ending up binging on junk foods, before I got the message that, "Gee, this is hard for me to do".   Fasting is a tricky subject.  Some ignorant people recommend fasting like it was a natural panacea.   It is not.   Just as "exercise" is not good for all people, in all conditions, at all times, done in any fashion, so it is with fasting.   Fasting is a serious subject, like a powerful medication, and should be targeted (or not) to each patient based on their individual case.

Mainly, I think a person has to recognize that binge eating is NOT normal at all.   Then they can purpose to intelligently investigate possible remedies to the situation, whether they be physical (as in my case), or psychological.  

Hope this helps some.
Todd in Tenn.

P.S.  I could eat a whole jar of peanut butter too.   I know what you mean.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/01/14 at 09:17:48

Bebop, I am so sorry you are having this problem. I had it really bad at one time and I'll tell you what helped--nothing LOL.. OK sorry I had do that. What I mean to say is, when I had my Cycle it was so much worse. Now Im post menopausal and I still do crave foods but not anywhere near as much and they go away much easier than before. One thing I might suggest is, talk to your DR about using a med to help your hormones stay more even, less extreme in changes. I hope this helps!
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Bebop99
Rookie

Reply #4 - 02/19/14 at 08:15:21

Thanks so much for the responses everyone.
I just wanted to give a quick update on how I've been doing.
In late December/beg. of January, I started taking zaditen and singulair, in addition to my anti-histamines. Late January, my zaditen dosage was doubled to 2mg twice a day. And I really noticed a vast improvement since that time. My cravings for foods and binging urges greatly reduced.

Secondly, what I think actually helped me the most was getting my thyroid under control. For the past 4 years, I've been really struggling with getting my levels right for me. (Unfortunately, I've found most doctors to be useless in this regard as they view thyroid hormones as normal even though both were tanked, at the bottom of the range). I'm pretty close right now to getting the perfect dosage of thyroid meds. I would say my binging tendencies are about 80-90% reduced, with 10-20% due to emotional reasons or a reaction to a food that is a complete no-no (e.g., vinegar).

I can now eat a much wider variety of foods. Chicken used to cause me to binge and bloat me up the next day and now it's completely fine!  Roll Eyes As a side note and interesting one at that, I found some research articles citing a strong correlation between bulimia and binge behaviours and low free T3 (one thyroid hormone)! Go figure.

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/20/14 at 10:50:25

Great information, Bebop !    I'm glad you are doing better.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print