Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hypothyroidism and not tolerating meds (Read 4737 times)
Nicole
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Hypothyroidism and not tolerating meds
11/24/13 at 13:01:44

I had blood work run recently and found that I have TSH at 7.5 and T4 at .71 - in other words I have hypothyroidism. I was given a prescription for Synthroid, but had to have the generic Levothyroxine given because of the fillers/inactive ingredients in Synthroid. I react to all dyes and many inactive ingredients.

I didn't tolerate the Levothyroxine - bad stomach aches. My mast cell disorder is mainly centered in my gut with high mast cell counts still despite being on a mast cell cocktail of drugs.

I tried the compounded T4 with no fillers and still didn't tolerate it. My endocrinologist then tried compounded T3 and then dessicated porcine T3/T4 compounded - I couldn't tolerate any of these either. I got a burning mouth symptom, canker sores appeared the next day, and my gut has been reacting for a week.

Has anyone had this issue of reacting to the actual hormone itself? I'm not reacting to the fillers or the capsule - I've had this same compounding pharmacy use the same capsule and filler for my Ketotifen, which I tolerate fine. So it's got to be that I'm reacting to the drug itself.

The doc doesn't know what to do with me! Help.

IP Logged

Sui Generis
Rookie

South Florida
Re: Hypothyroidism and not tolerating meds
Reply #1 - 11/27/13 at 01:49:50

T4 lowers DAO and MAO production, (in a rat study) measured in blood.
I ASSUME it affects GI levels of DAO also.

T4 triggered my MCAD.  I get itchy ears and mouth roof, swollen ears and turbinate's, gaging phlegm, vasodilation rash on my cheeks(no GI issues though).  I have an IgE level of 6 on a range of (0 186) as normal, so it has nothing to do with antigens. Taking T3 ONLY prevents the MCAD reaction, but, causes a host of other problematic side effects, and I could not tolerate it.  I am currently mast cell stable on 2.5 grains of NDT and 6mcg of T3 a day.  By sublingual-ing my T4-T3 meds in 6 small doses over the day, I can avoid triggering my mast cells.

Yes, I also need to utilize every Vitamin, Mineral, and Supplement trick known to keep my mast cells from reacting.  Have you tried DAOSIN/HISTAME?    

MCAD triggered by T4.  Somehow E2 is involved.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Hypothyroidism and not tolerating meds
Reply #2 - 11/27/13 at 13:31:37

Nicole, do you have a mast cell doctor? If so, you need to have your 2 doctors help so they can work together to figure out how to treat the hypothyroidism.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print