Send Topic Print
Dentist cleaning ? (Read 5479 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Dentist cleaning ?
11/14/13 at 10:32:14

Listmates,

The last time I was at the dentist, they cleaned my teeth with a "flavored" cleaner.  (I chose the mint flavor).   Naturally, it affected me really badly.   I didn't think "grape", or "berry" would be any better in this regard.

Has anyone had a talk with their dentist on these matters, and if so, what were you able to conclude ?   Are there any unflavored cleaners ?

TIA,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: Dentist cleaning ?
Reply #1 - 11/15/13 at 08:19:47

I've found that the "cookie dough" was the least objectionable to me.  I still get a little queasy, but I can handle it.  My dentist also has a protocol that everyone has to do a mouthwash rinse before starting and they allow me to skip that.  

However, all this stuff is is polish to make your teeth look lovely when you're done your cleaning (and maybe remove a bit of light staining).  The important part of the cleaning is the scraping part.  You could skip this step entirely if you felt it wasn't worth the reaction you might have.

IP Logged

kesasur
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/16/13 at 08:08:43

My dentist's office is amazing beyond words. The hygienist has her own set of sensitivities - including latex- so for starters it is a latex free office. Yay! no battle there.
I was told that the biggest need for the "polish" is that the silicone really heats up and can hurt the teeth. That said, she has taken to being really fast with me and we skip it all together.

She's been very patient w/ me as I've been very anxious over the past 3 years w/ my visits (ha! shoulda seen me when I had to get a cavity refilled last year). When I came in 2 months ago w/ this diagnosis she said, "I've heard of that".
Grin
So... that is helpful too!

Rinsing is only w/ water and I'm going to try to remember next time to bring no flavor floss... I figure it's just par for the course and she won't care.
Kelley

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 11/17/13 at 13:03:22

Thanks for the replies.  I pre-discussed this with my hygienist the other day over the phone.   She thinks she might have a polish that wouldn't bother me as much.   I guess I'm just going to have to get doped up and see what happens.

Thank you,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 11/18/13 at 05:55:34

my dentist keeps a completely non flavored polish that they use on my teeth as they know in have issues. it tastes like sand but atleast i don't havce stomach issues afterwards.
mikev

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 11/18/13 at 13:48:32

Mike !

Do you know what they call it ?  !!!   Who is your dentist ?   Maybe I could telephone them and find out ?

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print