Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Salicylates and prescriptions (Read 4121 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Salicylates and prescriptions
11/01/13 at 15:13:38

Hello friends!

So I have been in a mast cell cascade since trying ketotefin at the beginning of the month (Oct. 3rd). I had an allergic reaction and blew up with angioedema I haven't had in years. It seems to have kicked it back into gear Sad I have been swelling nearly every day since. Luckily with all the antihistamines I am on, I am able to keep myself from looking like a blowfish, but I am still swelling.

I'm trying so hard to settle things down.
I know for certain I have a salicylate sensitivity. So my brain has been spinning over things I could do to help myself.
I take several medications for depression/anxiety. I have asked the pharmacist before if the meds I'm on are sal-free, and she said yes. Unfortunately I think salicylate translates to aspirin to most people.

Today I googled my Zoloft and remeron. Both have several "cellulose" family ingredients as well as magnesium stearate, which apparently comes from cottonseed oil and palm oil. (I haven't even checked the antihistamines yet!)
I am wondering if these ingredients may be contributing to me never being able to unload my bucket a little.
Should I look into having them compounded?

On Monday my stomach was hurting terribly and my lips and cheeks were swollen. I was throwing up all day. Total mess. I stopped by my parents (I try to keep from seeing them when I'm feeling bad as they have no idea how to deal with it). But on Monday they saw me in all my glory.

My dad said "that's it", I'm making you an appointment with my rheumatologist (he has an autoimmune disorder and lots of inflammation markers like me) I think because I have "autoimmune" urticaria, he immediately thought rheumatologist. Maybe it will be a fresh set of ears. I don't know.

Also, I already posted this, but Dr. Castells kindly emailed with me. I took pictures of my labs of he AU and inflammation. She highly recommended trying Xolair. Has anybody tried this drug? Is it ever used for MCAS, or just AU Aand asthma?
Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: 11/01/13 at 17:23:35 by Britt »  

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Re: Salicylates and prescriptions
Reply #1 - 11/18/13 at 14:48:03

Brigitte you seem really hypersensitive to the sals so some of those fillers may be bothering you. I do have sal sensitivity but can tolerate ,at this time mod amts( when first had trouble 3 years ago could not). Do you have a pharmacy nearby that might be able to compound meds for you? Re Xolair pretty sure I have seen other people on here have some results with that in addition to mast cell stabilizers and antihistamines. I tried singulair a couple of times ( another leukotrine inhibitor) but didnt have much luck with it. Hope you can find something soon!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print