Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shingles Vaccination?? (Read 8208 times)
bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Shingles Vaccination??
09/23/13 at 05:34:19

I have had a couple of doctors recommend that I get the shingles vaccination....mainly because i am 63 and shingles is bad to get.  I am curious if anyone has gotten this and if they had any masto issues with the vaccination?

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Re: Shingles Vaccination??
Reply #1 - 10/02/13 at 06:02:40

Hmmmm.... Hard to believe no one has gotten this shot.  All of you who have had chicken pox as a kid are highly libel to get shingles after about 60.  Anyhow... I am getting the vaccine this morning.  My allegist recommended taking a 20mg prednisone just as a safety measure because it is an active virus in the vaccine i understand.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 10/02/13 at 12:43:30

For what it's worth, I am planning to get this vaccination some day.  I had chicken pox as a kid... and I've seen older family members (my grandfather, my mom) suffer from shingles.  I can't imagine that any reaction to the vaccination would be worse than actually *getting* shingles.  My body hurts just thinking about it Sad

Heather

ps - I wonder how early you can get the vaccination?  My mom has had it twice... both times before age 60.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #3 - 10/03/13 at 03:31:15

Got the shot .... No problems.  Since it is a diluted but live virus there was some concern that it could trigger a reaction. Like body discovers foriegn virus.... Time to degranulate!  But that did not happen!

But because of that concern my allergist had me take 1-20mg pill of prednisone the day of the shot.

Its and expensive shot.  Its $240 unless your insurance covers it.  Our blue shield blue cross did cover it.  I would have gotten the shot anyway as I have heard lots of people who have had it say it can be bad.

We got ours at our local Riteaid.  We also could have done it at the docs office.  If you are 60 or over they recommend that you get the shot.  I think you can get the shot earlier but you might need a doctor to recommend it.

IP Logged

Mona
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/07/14 at 08:28:02

I have no idea if getting the shot triggered my shingles or not, however, right after getting the shot is when mine first started.  I mentioned it to the doctor and she said no one else had ever reported it, but she did write it in my chart.

IP Logged

Ladybug
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/14 at 08:31:12

I wasn't too sure about receiving the Shingles shot either because when I received a flu shot a little over two years ago I broke out in Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema then recently diagnosed with MCAS.  Angry

I went ahead with the Shingles shot anyway. My upper inside arm turned deep red spreading down to by elbow and a few inches wide. I had this for two weeks and by week 3 it faded out, but left bruising. I skipped the flu shot this year and wonder now if I should have skipped this shot.  Roll Eyes

Has this happened to anyone else?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/29/14 at 19:59:25

The mast cell doctors do say it's fine to get a shingles vaccination and recommend that mast cell patients get flu shots.  It can be far worse to get a bad case of the flu than to get the shot.  The injected flu vaccine is killed virus, so there shouldn't be a big problem.

I would take pre-meds, such as Singulair, H1 and H2 antihistamines, and prednisone as recommended for before other procedures before getting the shots.

All that said, I've still been too chicken to get my shingles vaccine.  I do get a flu shot every year and have gotten the pneumonia vaccine.  The experts do recommend having titers done for pneumonia before getting a second pneumonia vaccine.  If immunity is still high, have titers checked annually before getting another shot.

Bob, do you have SM or MCAS, if you don't mind saying?

Joan

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #7 - 08/23/14 at 06:14:10

Indolent Systemic Masto

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #8 - 08/23/14 at 06:14:56

Indolent systemic Masto

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 08/27/14 at 17:47:04

Thanks Bob.  Me, too, so maybe this will give me the courage to do it.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print