Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wieght Training and Masto ? (Read 4258 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Wieght Training and Masto ?
08/24/13 at 06:52:22

Listmates,

I know there are some informed patients here, and even atheletes.   So, I wanted to inquire about weight training with masto ?   Assuming one doesn't get overheated, is there any contraindication to weight training ?

The reason I ask is several fold:  
A) Weight training can be intense and stressful.   A possible mast cell trigger ?
B)  Weight training can cause tissue (micro) injury.   That's what it is supposed to do.   That's what causes increases in size and strength.  But, for the masto patients, are the mast cells attracted to and congregate near said micro tissue injury sites, setting the stage for future chronic pain trigger points ?
C)  Muscle mass needs more energy to fuel it, even at rest, does this increase in base metabolic demand mean more fatigue for the already fatigued mast cell patient ?

I have a long history of being physically active before masto, and would like to weight train as intensely as possible given my condition.   But, I don't want to do anything stupid either.  

Thanks for any experience in this area, or speculation.
Todd in Tenn.  

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Wieght Training and Masto ?
Reply #1 - 08/24/13 at 13:50:23

When I first got sick anaphylaxis and steroids tore me down to bed bound. I used to be active and do weights. Not bodybuilding or anything too intense.

Initially any exercise or heat would trigger me, but I started as small as I could (leg weights on in bed and when walking around the house) and slowly added more on my stable days with breaks when a big unrelated reaction would set me back. I did/do whatever it takes to keep cool using ice packs cold water etc, then I used a seated foot peddle bike. I also had "POTS" which was holding me back

Now, I can run 10 km four times a week, 3 days of weight training plus yoga and Pilates. I bike and hike too. I am so thankful. The progress was so slow it felt like paint drying

I still have to take days off if my reactions are a mess which I wouldn't have pre illness and it takes more planning to fit in in and make sure I have emergency meds with me

I can't go to gyms as the scents trigger me so it's all at home and outside.

On my post weights days I get muscle soreness but no associated flare

Exercise always flares me a bit during but I've been able to slowly work up what that takes and I feel better and more stable
Overall after. Stress wise it's a huge help. Initially running half a block made me hot and itchy, now after ten km I feel fine.

I'm planning to continue to push myself in this regard as the threat of anaphylaxis demands a heart in peak condition! I want to survive whatever this illness throws at me

We are each different and our triggers are different so it's a matter of working and pushing within the confines of our limitations and seeing what you can do

Let us know how it goes

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/25/13 at 11:22:06

Ana,

That's a very inspirational story.   It must feel so good to you to be able to exercise again, and having accomplished so much also.  

I think I may continue on toward my modest goals,  with caution.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 08/25/13 at 21:58:09

Good for you!

Yes when I start to think I'm tired or running is feeling hard I remind myself how thankful I am to be able to and think "two years ago you couldn't stand! Keep going"

I should mention that running is used loosely ; its a slow jog and before that started as a walk/jog

There is no forward baby step that is too small not to be worth taking

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print