Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switching up meds? (Read 2397 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Switching up meds?
08/11/13 at 16:51:30

Hello friends. I know there are so many people who are in much worse positions as me and don't whine and post like a maniac like me, but I am so desperate to get my body stablized and calmed down.
I know I sound obsessed over finding a moisturizer, and I am! I can't tolerate anything topical and my face is so dry and cracked. The other day while at whole foods I made the genius decision to use the sample of pure avocado oil on my face (and my arms)....so stupid as I was already not feeling well.  I should have known better. I just figured maybe as a last resort I would try it. I was dizzy and nauseous all night. The next day I had severe "d" and vomiting which lasted all day and all day yesterday until 3:30 in the morning.
I'm still feeling terrible. Like I got run over by a truck.
Earlier I was thinking to myself, what can I try to do to alleviate some of this. Then I thought maybe I should try Claritin or Pepcid as a change from my Zantac and Zyrtec/Allegra.
I went to walgreens and bough Claritin. I took it 2 hours ago. Still feel like %#^*.
I am wondering if any of you have ever switched up your H1 and H2's with some relief?
I am also thinking about trying singular again. I tired it last fall and got a terrible chest cold which turned into an infection. I read that this is a possible side effect. But I'm wondering if I take it and stick with it, if I will get used to it and feel better?
I am on my 3rd week of cromolyn, and to be honeset, I don't think it's helping. I think it's making things worse. I have tried to email Dr. Chin a couple times regarding this, but he never returns my emails.
Dr. Chin also gave me a script for ketotifen. I am thinking about having that filled, but am weary. I talked to the pharmacist at Clark's pharmacy in Washington. He is a huge proponent of ketotifen. I told him that I had terrible hyper/insomnia side effects from both vistoril and doxepin. He said that I might have the same from ketotifen Sad
I know things will get better, but right now it doesn't feel that way. My whole body is sore, I have a migraine headache, throat is sore, my stomach is in a bad way, I'm tired but I can't sleep and my body is stuck in that fight or flight feeling. I think too that I'm realizing that my life will never be what is was before, and that scares me.  I just want to crawl under a rock and cry.
I'm so bummed I never got into Dr. Afrin. Hopefully one day Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/12/13 at 04:53:18 by Britt »  

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Switching up meds?
Reply #1 - 08/12/13 at 14:27:55

Hi Brigitte--I'm so sorry you're feeling so awful.  Do you take Benadryl at all?  When I feel horrible, sometimes I take a teaspoon at a time a few times in a day to get things calmed down, along with my other meds.  Is that something you could do?  Also, have you tried plain Vaseline in a thin layer on your face?  Maybe that would work... Good luck--I hope you feel better Smiley Sarah

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 08/12/13 at 21:10:35

Don't give up. It is SO hard, but don't give up. It's a matter of figuring out what works for you and what doesn't

For me, I did some of the following:

I didn't use any products on myself for over a year while I worked at getting stable. There are so many chemicals in everything there were too many variables for me.

Now, I use olive oil or bit of butter to moisturize if I'm desperate, but it seems my skin has found balance without products

It is a long road, but I cut out all chemicals in my lifestyle and diet and started with whole organic foods and added things one at a time. It's still slow going, but I'm up to over twenty foods, found a mascara I can wear on occasion, can run 10 km, and am slowly still trying to sort out the best meds. A lot of this I've had to do just with experimentation

I still can't be around any fragrances or scents but my tolerance to cooking smells is building.

Looking back I was ingesting so many random things and having reactions, and now that I am so careful with what I eat it is a bit easier to sort some things out

I went through a long long time of constant reactions and constant symptoms but with limiting as many variables as  I could eventually the symptom free days outnumbered the symptomatic ones

I've learned to make changes only when stable and ideally wait days/weeks between any change especially meds as the change alone seems to stir up my reactions.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/14/13 at 08:06:16

Thanks ladies! I am trying to get the gumption up to cut everything out and start from scratch. You'd think with how sick I've been, it would be an easy thing to do, but it's not for me:(
Having said that, I have been very careful watching ingredients and living in a fragrance free environment. I have figured out that I cannot do oils of any kind, especially topically (avocado oil, shea butter, olive oil, aragan oil coconut oil etc etc) any of that will set me off for days. I have been avoiding cooking with it (mostly bbqing this summer with just a little salt).
I also think that I react to things with beeswax in them, and am still on the fence about petroleum, so for now I will avoid it. Most of the hypoallergenic, fragrance free products contain petroleum or mineral oil.
As far as my house being a trigger, ugh, I'm not sure. The thought is daunting. I am hoping that I can stabilize in this house.
On a side note, I went up to my parents condo at Lake Tahoe for 4 nights in mid July, and that really set me off. They remodeled the place about 6 years ago with all wood (I think it's pine) ceilings and wood beams. I had never spent more than a day or a night up there before. I was terribly sick for about 10 days after that. I could still "taste" the wood in my throat days after leaving. It was really weird.

I have a question for everyone.....has anyone ever tried a charcoal supplement for their tummies? I'm thinking if maybe trying it.... Huh

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 08/14/13 at 10:04:17

All I use now is

For cleaning : hydrogen peroxide , baking soda, Castile based unscented soap (nature clean)

For washing: shampoo and conditioner unscented made locally

Dishes: method unscented dish washer tablets

I don't need anything beyond that and amazingly my skin no longer gets dry unless I'm having a reaction. I can't believe how many products I used to use.

Good luck. It is emotionally very difficult, but don't give up. The difference in your health is worth it

Yes so far I can't go in other people's homes
As they are scent minefields but I forget I'm sick at home and outside

You can get there Smiley)))

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/15/13 at 07:02:42

Thank you Ana! I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! I know you were struggling a lot.
Yep! Dr. Afrin said that all the medication in the world wouldn't help us more than staying away from our triggers.
I'll keep trying to figure mine out! It's just so hard to let go of everything you used to do and be fine with. Grrrrr...... On a positive note, it certainly has helped me get rid of chemicals in my life that I never even gave a second thought to four years ago! It's nice knowing that these changes will likely have a positive impact on my family Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print