Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does anyone use probiotics? (Read 4678 times)
Sasha
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Does anyone use probiotics?
06/16/13 at 11:22:18

I avoid most yogurt and probiotics ... but was thinking of trying some.  Anyone been successful in taking any? What about pre-biotics like FOS?

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Re: Does anyone use probiotics?
Reply #1 - 01/29/14 at 18:03:44

I know this thread is old but just in case you're still looking and for others who may be interested.

I've tried quite a few brands and I only tolerated Culturelle, the one in veggie caps. I perfectly tolerated it  every time and I've taken bottles of it several times over the years and tolerated it fine at the same time I'm not tolerating virtually anything else I ingest. I'm always surprised when I tolerate anything these days. Smiley

Luckily it's one of the most studied probiotic strains and so has some decent evidence that it's helpful and it survives passage through the stomach acid and colonizes the gut. Though it doesn't colonize the gut longterm so you have to keep taking it to keep all of it's benefits. Of course some benefits are longterm such as when a probiotic help resolve some dysbiosis such as a Candida overgrowth.

Candida and Rhamnosus GG (Culturelle)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18185091

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Does anyone use probiotics?
Reply #2 - 01/29/14 at 20:04:40

I am a huge fan of probiotics for mast cell patients who can tolerate them.  I take the vegetarian PB8 and have taken a variety of them over the years.  They are also available in a non-vegetarian form.  My daughter takes Nature's Bounty brand from Walgreens and thinks those are great, too.  There are some that do not have any milk products in them and others without other additives.  It's important to check the labels to make sure there aren't inert ingredients that can't be tolerated.

Dr. Scot Lewey, who treats many patients with mast cells in their GI tracts, suggests probiotics, Gastrocrom, and antihistamines.  He likes DSL3 as a probiotic.  It is expensive, though, and has to be refrigerated.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print