Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Continued - Re: Masked, odd case of MCAS (leaker) since childhood? Or histamine intolerance (Read 7935 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Continued - Re: Masked, odd case of MCAS (leaker) since childhood? Or histamine intolerance
05/30/13 at 01:43:13

The previous thread by pinkmink seems to registering an error whenever I try to post a reply, so I am testing to see if I can create a new thread here for this discussion,.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Continued - Masked, odd case of MCAS (leaker) since childhood? Or histamine intolerance
Reply #1 - 05/30/13 at 01:45:16

So, apparently I can post my reply if I break it into separate posts. Don't ask me why; we cannot figure it out....So, here are my thoughts on this discussion: In the previous discussion (you can look it up in this category), there are a lot of abbreviations being used in this thread that most of us are not familiar with. Therefore, not a lot of people will be able to comment here. It would be better to write out the full word at least once in the post with the abbreviation beside it, such as "Idiopathic Anaphylaxis (IA)". I don't have any idea of some of the things you are talking about due to the abbreviations, and I am the forum owner....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Continued - Masked, odd case of MCAS (leaker) since childhood? Or histamine intolerance
Reply #2 - 05/30/13 at 01:45:40

What I do know is that I can comment on at least your first question, pinkmink. You wrote, "That means there is nothing at all that helps the fatigue and the feeling of being hung over?" The answer to that is no, that is not correct. Antihistamines definitely help lessen fatigue, the hung over feeling, and brain fog. You have never mentioned which antihistamines you tried, and how often per day you tried them, and for how many days you tried them. The answer to these questions could explain why you are still having these symptoms and not feeling well.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 05/30/13 at 01:46:13

Basically, the key to feeling better with mast cell disease is determining which antihistamines and what combination of those meds to take. I went from being unable to get out of bed, unable to eat for 4 weeks, and constantly going into anaphylaxis to feeling great and only having a minimum of symptoms. It is mainly due to taking basic antihistamines twice a day, avoiding triggers, and adapting my lifestyle to reduce triggers. It really works.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 05/30/13 at 01:49:58

Clearly now you are feeling poorly because you ate some fish, although you could have been exposed to some additional triggers, such as the weather. You need to keep a list of foods that trigger you, and that fish should be put on that list.  Most fish does trigger mast cell disease, although some of us can eat small amounts of a select few types of fish. For example, I can eat salmon (although it will make my face flush) and I can eat tilapia. Both of those I only eat small amounts of, though, and only if I have had a good day and will be staying home that night. Sadly, so many of the healthy foods trigger us. I can eat tons of chocolate and sugar items and feel fine! Yet fruits and vegetables will bother me. How awful is that?!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 05/30/13 at 01:50:22

I know how easy it is to feel negative when you are feeling poorly. My whole attitude changes when I get really sick from my mast cells. However, let me assure you that the things I have suggested will help alleviate mast cell symptoms. If you would like to tell us what meds you tried, we are happy to offer suggestions about them.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/30/13 at 16:46:01

Hello! I'd love to jump in on this thread for advice too! As I have posted a lot, I am pretty much left to my own devices when it comes to treating my autoimmune urticaria (after I was diagnosed, my immunologist told me to take 1 Allegra a day, 1 Zantac and vistoril as my "rescue med", of which none worked well for me) .
I have been feeling pretty bad for the past few months. I was hoping someone could maybe give me some sort of guidance on meds. Currently I take 1 Zyrtec am, 1 Zantac am, maybe a Benadryl dye free liquid tab during the day and 1 Zantac pm. This week I have felt horrible (I think from a face treatment I used on Saturday night and using my dads cologne filled SUV to load a group of kids on an hour drive to a community pool. Yuck!). I've had a nasty headache for days (I tried the Tylenol tension headache, but it didn't work  Angry) so today I took 1 1/2 Zyrtec am and the other half this afternoon. I also broke down and took Advil (the only thing that helps with my headaches) and now I'm feeling a little better. Should I just start taking 2 Zyrtec a day? One am and one pm? Could that make a big difference in the way I feel? That would be AWESOME!
Thank you all for always listening to my ramblings!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 05/31/13 at 01:19:24

Brigitte,

I feel like yours could be an easy fix. Without knowing what your exact symptoms are, I will assume that it is the standard ones. Since you haven't felt well for months, you need to tinker with your meds. Clearly zyrtec doesn't bother you. I would say that you simply need to take more meds right now. While antihistamines may work for "normal" people for 24 hours, they don't for us. Think of them as a half day medicine. So, you are correct in thinking that you should take zyrtec in the morning and evening. (I actually take it around 4 pm rather than evening so that I can be awake during much of it's beneficial effects.) Years ago, Dr. Akin found that his patients did even better by taking an allegra in the morning and a zyrtec in the evening, rather than 2 zyrtecs per day. You could also try that (that is what I take).

Another question to think about is do you need a zantac twice a day? Currently you take it once a day, but most of us take it twice a day. If you have any GI issues at all, then you should be taking it twice a day. Even my 13 year old son takes zantac twice a day for acid reflux! So, clearly it is not a 24 hour med if the pediatrician has my child take it twice a day.

Hope these ideas help!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 05/31/13 at 04:17:52

just a thought here...I was always told that you needed a H1 and H2 blocker to balance out...I don't know but looks like you are not taking enough meds ..
redbird

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/31/13 at 06:13:25

Thank you Deborah! Ya, I've been very "active" lately. I actually got hives the other day. Haven't had that in a long time.  I will try taking a double dose. I've played with allegra now for three years, and I don't thin it's for me. It makes me feel weird. So I think I'm going to try two Zyrtec. Do you think this is ok? I seem to tolerate much better.
Smiley
« Last Edit: 05/31/13 at 07:24:13 by Britt »  

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 05/31/13 at 11:24:21

Yes, Zyrtec is certainly fine twice a day. When I am triggering, I double my meds and that means taking a zyrtec in the morning and one in the evening.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 05/31/13 at 13:47:48

Hi Deborah! So when you're not triggering, do you only take an antihistamine in the am, or do you take a Zyrtec am, Allegra pm, and then add another Zyrtec to that when you're triggering?
I'm working on getting back to Boston. I called to find out if having a confirmed diagnosis of autoimmune urticaria was criteria to see one of the doctors. I left a message for the nurses. Unfortunately I missed er return call, but it sounded like I would be able to be seen. Hopefully this summer! Do ketofin and or gastrocom make a big difference in mast cell symptoms? Or is the biggest target to find the right kind and amount of antihistamines? (Or both?) what do ketofin and gastrocom actually do?
Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 07/14/13 at 10:57:41

Deborah has answered just about everything beautifully!  The only thing I could add to this is that MCs react to enzymes.  We find plenty of them in fish and fruit which explains why both of those groups will trigger reactions.    

As to the energy issue, it would be a good idea to try Singulair.  Many of us who take this find we have a great deal more energy when on it.  It is a leukotreine blocker.  There are others who take low dose aspirin or other NSAIDs, if they are tolerable, because they are prostaglandin blockers.  These meds help because they, just like antihistamines, block the effects of these MC mediators being chronicly released.  So by using a cocktail many of us gain improvement in some form or another.   By topping it off with MC stabilizers, you help to calm down your system, even for those of us who are autoimmune.   Whether there are direct autoimmune treatment options I am still in the process of investigating this.   Always something you know!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print