Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Salicylates (Read 36361 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Salicylates
05/11/13 at 16:01:40

Hi everyone! So I'm back into research mode. I want more than anything to feel at least a little better  SadSo, not a surprise to me, but I am more confident than ever that I am salicylate sensitive (all herbal anything sends me into a panic attack and insomnia and irritability )  I've been feeling pretty bad since the end of December. That is when I started experimenting with different oils on my face, aragan, and another one made by the brand Tarte that comes from the passion fruit. I started wondering if those were effecting me and stopped using them. I then (didn't learn my lesson) decided to try shea butter and coco butter. Neither are supposed to be full of salicylates (according to the salicylate sensitivity website) but the do come from plants. Just wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with these oils. Also if anyone has had good success on a low salicylate regimen? I have been so focused on fragrance free that I failed to look at other plant ingredients in my everyday use! The only hiccup in this idea of being salicylate sensitive is that the ONLY shampoo I can use is Pureolgy zero sulfate purifying shampoo and Pureolgy light hydrating conditioner. And it's only those two. Anything else by that brand I cannot tolerate. But the thing is, both are filled with plant "stuff". I'm going to double check the ingredients!..... Just checked, full of plant based oils extracts etc!  Huh I don't get it. Maybe these products are effecting me. But generally if something is bothering me, I know right away. It hits me like a brick wall and I don't get that from these Huh
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 05/11/13 at 17:42:23 by Britt »  

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Re: Salicylates
Reply #1 - 05/12/13 at 13:27:05

Brigitte,
I am salicylate sensitive and do follow low to mod salicylate diet. I also have trouble with inhaled salicylates of any kind which are very difficult to avoid. I have used shea butter 100% pure for a long time without difficulty.

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #2 - 05/19/13 at 01:56:44

Hi Shabrans. Is salicylate sensitivity another disease or does it just mean salicylates trigger your MCAS symptoms? It seems a little too coincidental that you'd have both unless they're related somehow.

Also If you tolerate aspirin does that mean you're not salicylate sensitive? And is it treated with anti-histamines too or what? I think I may have heard of salicylate sensitivity before but never looked into it because I wasn't aware that salicylates were ubiquitous and so didn't think it would be what I have reacting to everything. Either way I'm interested in it now.

Although I think aspirin did trigger some mild symptoms for me when I recently tried it but everything else does too now, but when my presumed MCAS was mild I took lots of aspirin several times per day for about 4 or 5 days with no problem except during the last day my gut felt a little weird for a few days after. But during this same time even a little lemon or lime juices would mess my gut up for days and oranges would make me vomit. I don't tolerate anything with citric acid in it.

Also during this time I did tolerate some fragrances at least for the few minutes I was in those stores, but liquid fabric softener fumes and tobacco smoke have been strong triggers of my for most of my life. Now though nearly anything I inhale triggers my symptoms.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/21/13 at 15:58:09

Hi Bruce! So as we've all figured out through our conversations and postings, are triggers are very unique to us, with some that seem to be more abundant. It has taken me the past 3 years to nail down that I do indeed have a salicylate sensitivity. I knew that anything with a fragrance would send be into a downward spiral, but I had failed to look at other ingredients in other things I was eating, taking, wearing etc. For instance I was using a fragrance free moisturizer, but come to find out it had eucalyptus in it. Stopped using it. My vitamin D was made from an aloe based gel cap. Stopped using that. You get my point. So I'm definitely not preaching here. Actually I am just crossing my fingers that "watching" my salicylate intake helps. I'm about 5-6 days into it. So far so good.
I haven't done the elimination diet, it's been tough enough for me to even think straight let alone revamp my life! So I'm just being careful.
Just an FYI, Twinlab vitamin and mineral supplements are almost all sal free!!!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/22/13 at 13:44:22

Another thing I found out......Although I was using scent free deodorant (for the past 3 years) I found out it, like most deodorants, had castor oil in it which is high in sals. I found one at Sephora that's really expensive for deodorant, $28!!!!! But it works, it actually works better than any other deodorant I have ever used!. It's called Nonscents by Dermadoctor!

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #5 - 05/30/13 at 01:58:59

Bruce,
I have MCAS and did not have trouble with salicylates until then. That being said some people just have salicylate intolerances. There is a lot of onfo on it on the web. There were studies done years ago linking it to behavior problems with kids. However most doctors and nutritionists know nothing about it. Not everyone who has salicylate problems will react to inhaled salicylates. The fact that you didnt have problems with aspirin does make me tend to believe you may not have salicylate problem. Be aware though that salicylates do have a cumulative effect so the more you ingest over a period of time the more apt a reaction.
Re treatments there arent any that really help the salicylate sensitivity completely except dietary changes. Mast cell stabilizers have helped me tolerate a few more ,and aome say fish oil does so I take cod liver oil tablet daily.
Brigitte thanks for the info. I was using a solid salt type deoderant from Cleure but not as effective as Id like. Some days use baking soda or corn starch.

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #6 - 05/30/13 at 02:15:03

Bruce,
Another thing I meant to mention to you is all those citrus fruits you mentioned have histamines in them ( I dont tolerate them either). Have you looked into lowering histamines in your diet?

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #7 - 05/31/13 at 02:46:36

shabrans,

Yes I do eat a low histamine diet. Well for the past several months I've only eaten one food: lima beans. I'm testing out some meds right now and have a few more I want to test but after that I'm going to try finding some more foods I tolerate.

I really want some kind of meat. Pork is my favorite. I tolerated and loved the Hormel porkchops at my grocery store. I boiled them. But my store stopped selling them of course. I tried another pork brand, beef, and chicken but didn't tolerate them. Surprisingly my GI tolerated most of them, but the smell triggered head pressure(mostly behind the ears), headaches and brain fog.

Yeah I was thinking that if I had salicylate sensitivity that I would have reacted to the aspirin before reacting to liquid fabric softener fumes. Yet during that time when fabric softener fumes triggered my symptoms instantly, I took aspirin several times per day for several days because of aching injured knees and tolerated them just fine except noticed a slight odd feeling in my gut the last day(4th or 5th day) like the aspirin was starting to affect me. But I don't really know much about salicylate sensitivity.

As for the citric acid, I had a strong GI reaction, relative to GI reactions I've had, to magnesium citrate (magnesium + citric acid) as well. So I don't know if that's contaminated with histamine or salicylates, but it messed my gut up pretty bad for a week I think.

Each time I ingest something with citric acid in it the symptoms become stronger and longer until I've had a long break from them. Like the first time I tried oranges after a break of years, I just barely noticed mild discomfort in my stomach. Next day I ate oranges again it made me nauseous. Third day I ate oranges it made me vomit. And after taking the magnesium citrate just once and it messing my gut up I no longer could tolerate this trace mineral supplement which had tiny amounts of citric acid bound to the trace minerals which I tolerated fine for a long time before the magnesium citrate reaction. Citric acid also messes up my intestines.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 06/01/13 at 04:46:24

I can use Sure unscented!  I am super salicylate sensitive as high and very high cause anaphylaxis!  
Bruce, to answer you question, are they realated or separate!  Yes both!  You can have a person with sal sensivity that does not have a mast cell issue.  But with someone with a mast cell issue the salicylates can/do degranulate the mast cells! (not all mast cell patients though).

Here is a link for products Brigitte:  http://www.psha-inc.com/guai-support/sf/Sal-Free/Makeup_Foundations_blushes.htm#...

Also you want to keep in mind that salicylates build up in the system, so you can have one one day without a reaction and then later you have the same thing and have a reaction, that is because they are stacking up throughout the day.  Seems to start over in the morning.

Epsom salt bath is a great way to minimize sals in the body.  They help the body process stacked up sals.  I take an epsom salt bath every night to help this process.  No more than 2 cups, because this is used as a laxative, getting too much in your system will cause the poopers!  No longer than 20 mins because your body will reabsorb after 20 mins.

Pam

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 13:13:27

Thanks Pam and Hope Wink! So I know I'm always on here with questions, seldom any answers, but I am still not feeling well. I will get a couple days reprieve, then I do something, I usually don't know what, to start it all over again. I truly do believe I'm salicylate sensitive. I say that mostly because of the strong reactions I've always had to herbal stuff, and because of my strong reactions by inhaling things (laundry detergents etc) which I know now are usually heavy in salicylates. I just don't know if I'm over analyzing this, or if it is really not the root of my problem (the root is the mast cell disorder) but my main trigger. My son's 9th birthday party was Saturday. We had a pool party. So that morning I broke out my Coppertone unscented sunscreen and put it all over both me and my son. By the early afternoon I was really irritable and my mind was spinning. That night I felt horrible. I kept having these waves of nausea and dizziness while in bed, and my dreams were very lucid and somewhat disturbing.
On Sunday morning I felt terrible. Like I was on the brink of an panic like episode. Then while I was sitting on the couch, I got really nauseous and I felt like I had just been given nitrous oxide at the dentist.....that whooosh whoosh dizzy feeling. Then I started sweating like crazy. I had an equally as crazy nights sleep that night.
Yesterday I started thinking, what could have done this? I thought of the sunscreen and googled the ingredients. The 2nd active ingredient was a salicylate hidden under another name.
So here it is Tuesday, and I still fell like hell. Very edgy. My body seems to shutter at the smallest of unexpected noise and I just feel worn out and my stomach is a mess.
I've taken quite a bit of antihistamines the past couple of days as well as Epsom baths, and I've been eating very simple, meat with salt, bread, plain rice etc.  I am hoping that this will pass by tomorrow.
I just wanted to get y'all's thoughts on this. Does this sound like a mast cell episode?
Mind you that I have also been diagnosed bipolar type 2, and I question that diagnosis because of the mast cell issues, but I cannot rule it out. Then that leads me to question all the meds I'm on for that? Could they have sals in them? I asked my pharmacist to check for me, but I don't think she got it. I think she was thinking aspirin, and she told me that there were no sals in my meds.
So (sorry to keep rambling) I decided to try and google some of the ingredients in the meds myself. Especially those that I no longer take, but had a bad reaction to. I looked up name brand synthroid and found that it contains acacia in it! I'm having a hard time finding the ingredients to my other meds since they are generic, but I'm wondering if maybe this is playing a part in me always feeling so awful! (Or of course that I'm on the wrong meds!) ugh!!!! Just needed to vent. Summer is here, my favorite time of year, and all I want to do is roll up into a little ball in my bed and stay there Embarrassed
One more question.....do those of you who are salicylate sensitive have problems with sodium lauryl sulfate? I know it's common in shampoos, but I have also found it is a common inactive ingredient in a lot of medications. I've been looking for a dye free slow release iron and all I can find is Masons natural slow release but it has sls in it  Huh.
« Last Edit: 06/05/13 at 07:34:47 by Britt »  

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #10 - 06/05/13 at 11:07:36

Pam:
For those of us with severe skin sensitivies the epsom salt baths can be an issue. I tried these when I was doing my searching to find what worked & what didn't for me & they ended up drying out my skin & causing me more skin pain. So once again out there, we all are so different that if you try something new like epsom baths that work great for Pam, just watch your own body's reaction.
MikeV

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print