Send Topic Print
Antibiotics (Read 5629 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Antibiotics
05/01/13 at 11:01:38

Last week I had a procedure (ahem) at my GYN's office.  "Just to be safe" she asked me to take an antibiotic for a few days.  I was so relieved that the procedure went much better than I expected... I forgot to be careful about the antibiotic.  Silly me.

I had a bad reaction to tetracycline as a teenager.  Not anaphylaxis exactly... it made the hairy parts of my body very, very itchy (as in... "I know it looks bad that I'm scratching my groin, but...").  So... for years my charts have included "allergy to tetracycline."  My GYN prescribed "vibramycin."  I didn't think about it when I filled the Rx and took the first dose, but... the generic is doxycycline, a close relative of tetracycline.  The second dose made me vomit  Angry  As I was laying on the couch, waiting for the horrible dizzy/nauseated feeling to go away, I put 2 and 2 together.

Gah!!!  Angry  Angry  Angry

I share this story for two reasons...

1) When you get a new drug... run it through Dr. Google

2) I know that antibiotics are pretty common triggers/allergens, but I'm not allergic to the most common one (penicillin).  Are there certain classes we should be more careful of than others?

Heather    

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Antibiotics
Reply #1 - 07/05/13 at 20:42:50

Some antibiotics can cause direct histamine release, so they should be avoided.  Doxycycline is one, and the fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Avelox, Levaquin, etc.) are, too.  They should all be avoided if possible.

If there's a very serious disease and only one of the 'avoid' antibiotics will work, then a mast cell doctor should be consulted.

Some people can tolerate Zithromax very well.

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Antibiotics
Reply #2 - 08/28/13 at 18:49:25

BTW, there was a new warning this past week about quinolone antibiotics causing permanent nerve damage in some patients.  As long as there are alternatives, it might be good to avoid them, especially if you're a mast cell patient.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print