Send Topic Print
fatty liver (Read 9756 times)
Rocky 9801
Tutor

What the hell happened???!!

St Louis, MO
fatty liver
04/25/13 at 07:52:52

I am an SM guy and was recently diagnosed via ultrasound with "fatty liver" and gallstones.  I am curious if masto could be playing a role in the fatty liver problem since I dont drink, am not overweight, and not diabetic?

Any thoughts?

Grandpa, which wolf wins the fight....the good one or the bad onel??

The one you feed, son. The one you feed.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: fatty liver
Reply #1 - 04/25/13 at 10:30:02

It definitely could.  I have the same problem... last year my liver was enlarged and my enzymes were off, so my GP sent me for an abdominal ultrasound.  "Fatty liver" was the conclusion.  Although I'm a little overweight, I don't drink and I'm not diabetic.  I contacted Dr. Molderings since one of his articles included a note about liver involvement in mast cell disorders... he told me it was probably fatty liver (even before I had the ultrasound results).

This year, only my ALT was elevated... the other two enzymes were fine.  Go figure.  Masto is so weird sometimes.  I've also had some mild kidney dysfunction that comes and goes.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Rocky 9801
Tutor

St Louis, MO
Reply #2 - 04/25/13 at 14:03:55

Thanks Heather.

Any treatment for your "fatty liver"? (that sounds very personal, offensive and almost obscene!)

I see the GP tomorrow for gallbladder stuff and will ask her about the liver.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 04/26/13 at 06:44:43

I know!  I realize "fatty liver" is an accurate description, but sheesh.  Couldn't they name it after the doctor who discovered it or something?  My understanding is that for most people, fatty liver doesn't cause any major problems (especially when it's not caused by alcohol use), but you do have to monitor it just in case it gets really bad and leads to cirrhosis.  Yikes.  Oh... and if you needed another reason to avoid alcohol... here it is Wink

I've heard "milk thistle" is good for detoxifying livers... but I haven't tried it and I can't say for certain if it's safe for masto people.  I would definitely tell your doctor first if a supplement sounds appealing.

Good luck with the gallstones too!  Have they bothered you, or did you find out about them through the ultrasound?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Rocky 9801
Tutor

St Louis, MO
Reply #4 - 04/30/13 at 13:08:02

Gallbladder has sent me to the hospital twice: once last septmeber (no stones then) and to the ER 10 days ago by mimicing a heart attack, and I have stones now.  Doctor appt thursday to consult and schedule surgery.
Alcohol and handcuffs are inextricably related for me - so I quit drinking 23 years ago and dont really need another reason; but I have one anyway.
Will post update when I hear from masto doc on the question of fatty liver related to masto.

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/03/13 at 08:59:03

I also have a fatty liver, found by a CT scan.  I do not drink alcohol, (masto won't let me). They are not treating it. Good luck with the gall stones!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print