Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dear Doctors (Read 5961 times)
ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Dear Doctors
04/15/13 at 20:15:57

This is a post from a blog which I have mentioned before. Here is another entry which I appreciate, if only all doctors and med students could read this. Maybe it can at least help us understand why we feel the way we do sometimes.

http://bobisdysautonomia.blogspot.be/2013/04/dear-doctors.html

Ruth

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Re: Dear Doctors
Reply #1 - 04/17/13 at 11:13:12

This is awesome Ruth,

My niece graduates from medical school next month and will start her ER residency at the U of WI.  This will surely get passed on to her and her co-workers! Cheesy Cheesy

Thanks for sharing!

(Of course she's a bit "trained" already as her Aunt has dysautonomia/POTS and MCAS)! haaaaaa

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/20/13 at 19:54:43

Glad you liked it Linda. Don't you wish it was stapled to every stethoscope!

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 04/22/13 at 03:43:00

ruth:
great post. I was lucky to find a doc who finally after 2 years of searching the unknown was able to figure out what i had. He's doesn't have the best bed side manner nor does he show a lot of care for my problems, but he was there when i needed him most. He's a perfectionist personality & looking at it from his viewpoint i think i frustrate him to the max. he was trained to help cure & with me can't, he was trained to come up with a path to make his patients the best they can be but can't with me, i have had to find my own path & is frustrated that i know more about my disease then he ever will. every 6 months i go see him for my med refills, he knows it & i know it that is the only reason i'm there. so not to excuse the docs out there that bad docs but we are very challenging patients to first diagnose & 2nd to treat.
mikev

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 04/23/13 at 13:55:52

I totally second that, Mike.  None of my local (Indiana) doctors really "get" what I'm dealing with... but at this point they trust me and are willing to support me as much as they can.  That's all I ask Smiley  

Getting a diagnosis is the hardest part... and unfortunately, some doctors (and occasionally, nurses) make it worse than it needs to be!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 04/23/13 at 23:59:00

Yes, I think an important part of this message is the power of a doctor's words and attitudes, essentially the reminder that the 'Do no harm' part of the Hippocratic oath refers to more than just physical harm.  It's one thing for a doctor to not be able to give answers or nail a diagnosis, but so much worse when along with that they actually create more damage by undermining a persons confidence in themselves as well as their trust in the medical community, and all of the repercussions that are expressed so well in this 'letter'.

Ruth

IP Logged

donnarenee0529
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/04/13 at 11:00:29

Article.....wow! Exactly how I feel!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print