Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sunbathing ? (Read 5865 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Sunbathing ?
04/14/13 at 13:15:23

Listmates,

I was wondering about sunbathing.  

I am traditionally an inveterate sun worshipper.   However, since learning that I was probably not making any Vitamin D from sitting in front of a glass window in the winter time, I did not take my winter time sunbathes this year.   What's the use ?  This resulted in me not getting any sun from October until now, April.

But now that I am back sunbathing again, I find it seems to be making me feel sick, and have more inflammation in my joints.   I'm really not getting too hot, however.   In fact, I have been a bit chilly on some occasions outside in my bathing trunks.

Would anyone have any wisdom to offer on this ?   It concerns me.  One of my few remaining pleasures in life is being able to taunt dermal hyperplasia by reclining out-of-doors and bravely exposing my epidermis to solar raditation.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: Sunbathing ?
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 06:40:10

Todd, I have a lot of trouble with the sun, but it is largely from heat, as I react terribly to overheating.  My eyes are also crazy sensitive to the sun, and I pretty much have to wear sunglasses all the time outside.

If you're not getting too hot, I would say try getting some very dark shades and see if protecting your eyes helps at all.  Also, you may *feel* cool with a cool breeze or some such, but it still might be warming your body temp enough to have a reaction.  You might consider actually spraying yourself down with some cold water or drinking a very cold drink to maintain a lower body temp.  (I find a glass of ice and lemonade really helps me when I'm starting to react from heat.)

As for soaking in the sun in the window during the winter, it doesn't matter if you make Vitamin D from it or not, I find it still feels good and is helpful for maintaining your mood.

Hope you can find some way to make this work for you...

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 04/23/13 at 13:48:12

Apparently, some people with urticaria pigmentosa find that UV rays (sunlight) make them feel better.  

Personally, sunlight just makes me tired and rashy  Roll Eyes

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/25/13 at 00:26:08

I'm a bit worried about using sun tan lotion as it might be a trigger. What does everyone else use?

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/13 at 07:14:58

The only sunscreens that I can use are ones that are free from any chemical sunscreens.  These use only zinc or titanium as physical barriers.  They can be very effective, as I'm a super pale redhead and they work for me.   The one that I bought most recently was http://www.caribbean-sol.com/  They can go on a bit thick/white, but its worth it to not burn.  I also recently tried out a few new ones at Sephora (I'm almost out of the other stuff) and bought the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer (SPF 40) for my face.  This has a very light fragrance that goes away quickly, but I really liked how well it worked without leaving a white residue behind.  I also liked LAVANILA The Healthy Sun Screen SPF 30 Body Cream and might get some of that in the future.

I know all of this stuff is expensive, but it's worth it to me to not react and not burn!

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 04/26/13 at 00:05:29

Thanks.

I bought a similar product from here in the UK.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print